should I just castrate him

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:59 am
my large male dog is becoming a little too much for me latley, he's 2 and half years old cross german shepherd, he pee's on everything if we let him into the house. he has become too dominant at the local park attacking any dog that he feels needs to be put in it's place, it's never a terrible fight but enough to shake me, the owner and the other dog up. The vet recommends i castrate him and this should lessen the problem.. i think i agree but my dad is so against it. Should i just take him on the sly and get it done he is my dog after all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,209 • Replies: 20
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 10:06 am
Good grief, yes! What could be your father's objection? Is he waiting until the dog actually bites a person or kills another dog? Or does he enjoy the odor of dog urine? Personally, the last thing I need at the park is a hyper-aggressive attack dog whose owner has invested his manhood in his pet's.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 10:12 am
Isnt it your dog?Then you make the decisions not your dad.
Surely its just a common reaction for men to not wanting to thing of any type of scrotal sack being cut off.
Remind your dad itl happen to the dog, not him.

If itl help, do it.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 03:45 pm
yeah my father is like he wont' be a guard dog then he will be have no protective insticint blah blah llah fishpaste.

Basically it's my dog but i live in the house with my parents and they feed it so i guess it's also there dog although i walk it etc and he only listens to me (strange beast). i think when i get my paycheck it's off to the vet
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 04:28 pm
Your dog--your parent's house....

Likely your parents' Fire, Theft and Liability Insurance wouldn't cover a macho dog attack--and I'm betting you don't have your own FTL coverage.

Make the appointment, ASAP.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:11 am
nope and he's a trained dog and still behaves silly at times. besides he is already on Prozac for being so OCD and the vet said castrating him would probably sort the problem out.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 06:37 am
definitely castrate before someone is hurt - and he should have a muzzle until the behaviour at the park is sorted.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:41 am
he's never hurt anyone or any other dog (funny he loves small dogs. just other big males he dislikes; kids and people never an incident) just gets them underneath him and holds them there like he's the bloody king of the world, anyway i'm not going to muzzle him rather deal with it and castrate him beacuase to be honest the thing in the park isn't half as bad as his ocd behaviour he tends to chew himself till he bleeds and that's more upsetting then the occasional embarrassing tiff.

Also he tends to only go for the males dogs if they approach his beloved beagle (she's a neighbors dog he has grown up with and considers his) and funny enough not all male dogs just three out of all the local dogs there.One of those three goes for him and that dog comes from up the road with no owner which drives me nuts (he's a golden retriever which are supposed to be docile but he's mad attacks my friends pug as well). Then there's chester and mexico the only other two that he has issues with.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 06:14 pm
neuter the dog.

your dad too if he argues with you about it.

if he (your dog, not your dad) smells a bitch in heat he's gone and no fence will stop him. he will fight any dog along the way. I have had several male/neutered doga who were active watch dogs after being neutered.
0 Replies

wirodeu

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 01:22 am
NOOOOOOOOOO
That's not nice for a dog!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 08:11 am
It's a lot less nice for anyone he attacks or whose pet he mauls.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 08:46 am
kuvasz wrote:
neuter the dog.
if he (your dog, not your dad) smells a bitch in heat he's gone and no fence will stop him. he will fight any dog along the way.

You ain't kidding....my mom works with a lady who caught her female dog pressed up against their chain fence...getting got by a male dog. Through the links.

Dogs will find a way to do it. Regardless.

He could be killed in the process. Neuter the dog now.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 09:33 am
snip snip

Lowered risk of prostate cancer, impacted anal glands...

In addition to all of the other reasons. As to the guarddog bullshite -- people aren't afraid of a dog turning around and beating them about the face and head with their big nutsack -- they're afraid of being found out and they're afraid of being bitten. Damn, I've got a guy who was neutered as soon as the beans dropped into the pouch, and I wish very much that he wasn't such a guarder.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 09:43 am
Well, frankly I'd be terrified of being assaulted by a dog's nutsack. But maybe that's just me...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 09:47 am
I live next to a zoo. Of the animals within 300 yards of me, dog is pretty low on the list of species whose nutsack I am afraid of.

Rhino scrotum, fer instance -- I'd just as soon not even see it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 04:45 pm
Quote:
You ain't kidding....my mom works with a lady who caught her female dog pressed up against their chain fence...getting got by a male dog. Through the links.

My mother knew a dog-mad woman whose St. Bernard who swooned to convenient level when courted by a Yorkshire Terrier.

Ah, love!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:11 pm
Seems a might extreme, dontcha think. I ..........

oh, sorry,

I thought this was Relationships & Marriage.

Embarrassed
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 07:11 pm
Oh, quit projecting.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 04:13 pm
Patiodog, you're on target about the reduced risk of prostate cancer, but not regarding impacted anal glands. The reduced risk applies to perianal tumors, not to gland impaction. By the way, for my two cents worth - for God's sake, quit talking about it and get the dog neutered!!!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:44 am
Thanks, cowdoc.

I should know better.
0 Replies