Phone conversations in public toilets - Etiquette?

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:39 pm
I just went to the loo and suddenly this guy inside a stall started talking - loud. I thought 'uh-oh, nutbag'. But then realised he was talking to someone on his phone.

I thought that was weird/wrong because

a) conversations in public toilets are just wrong anyway

b) I'm not sure I'd want be talking to someone 'taking a dump' while we chatted.

Am I just too uptight? Or does the thought weird you out too?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,803 • Replies: 29
No top replies

sakhi

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:17 am
weird. the same thing happened to me just now. The lady in the stall next to mine went.."hi papa"...it's ok - maybe it was an urgent call.....but I find it weird. I would say "uh oh....i'll call you in a while" if i knew someone was tlaking to me on the phone while they were in the loo
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:20 am
A disembodied voice saying 'Hi Papa' would sure kick up my paranoia-driven heartrate Sakhi.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:32 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 02:12 am
Weird.

Call me paranoid: but I would like to see some sort of rules in place. Like: no phone in the can! lol.

Most phones have those cams in them now. Things are getting just a little too silly.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 02:41 am
flushd wrote:
Weird.

Call me paranoid: but I would like to see some sort of rules in place. Like: no phone in the can! lol.

Most phones have those cams in them now. Things are getting just a little too silly.

Appropriate that you should comment flushd Laughing
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 02:53 am
I answer the phones at a company and one of my supposed seniours suggested I take the phone with me to the toilet when i need to go so the customers dont have to wait!!!
I thought how f-ing stupid.
I sit down on the loo, the phone goes, I answer it, I need to use the computer to help them out but have to say I cant help you right now, Im on the loo, would you mind holding on til I finish!!

Sometimes I wonder how these people got senior postions in the company.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:37 am
A relative of mine (who shall remain nameless) often calls me when he is sitting on the "throne". I deeply resent that. If he can't find five free minutes to talk to me, maybe he shouldn't call me at all.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:58 am
In a word....disgusting.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:37 am
*waiting for slappy*
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:50 am
I have never really thought about it, since I don't have a mobile phone and would very much like to keep it that way.
However, I'd rather see people using the phone on the loo then driving in the car for example. The latter is more dangerous.
As far as etiquette is concerned (because that's what it's really about), does that even exist in society nowadays?
IF people feel the urgent need to use a phone while visiting the can, I suppose it's their business. I guess I don't really care for the idea of being called by someone who is using the loo, but like I said above, better that then being called by someone driving a car. Just imagine what it would feel like if you hear the person on the other side get nito an accident.
I know for sure a tiny voice in my head would continually whisper: "That's because he was talking to you. It's all your fault."

Naj
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:07 am
I would never want to borrow that guy's phone. Honestly isn't there some where else to go to talk on the phone? Just the other day, when I was shopping with my little girl she needed to use the bathroom. I led her there and happen to be using my phone (regarding a purchase item). I stood in the hallway outside the bathroom - I couldn't talk in the bathroom even if I wasn't on the toliet myself. Why can't you just go some where else? Do you really think the person on the other end wants to hear bowl moments and toliets flushing?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:12 am
If I hear someone on the phone in the restroom, I immediately flush.

It's just common courtesy.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 01:45 pm
Re: Phone conversations in public toilets - Etiquette?
hingehead wrote:
I just went to the loo and suddenly this guy inside a stall started talking - loud. I thought 'uh-oh, nutbag'. But then realised he was talking to someone on his phone.

That happened to me too the other day Shocked

I was just sitting there, hear someone coming in, entering a stall, carrying on a phone conversation.

Jesus.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 01:50 pm
Could this be a new "cure" for constipation?

Surprised Surprised Surprised
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 01:59 pm
The first time I heard someone talking on a cell phone in a stall, I waited until he came out. I then said: "Oh a cell phone! Thank goodness! I thought you were talking to your _____ !"
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 03:40 pm
Why am I the only one who voted that I don't care? I could care less. People are gonna have cell phones 24/7 in this generation.

Also, if their talking covers up the noise of their own crapping it's all the better. :wink:

Mad Get with the picture old people!

*cowers in corner*
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 03:52 pm
well i don't care at my house everybody talks none stop whether on the loo in the bath or having a conversation on the phone and with my mother in the kitchen at the same tim,e, and the best is when I'm in the shower my dad will stand by the door and talk to me (actually shout) while I'm like can't you wait till i'm out. i mean what ever, it's other peoples business anyway as long as they flush the toliet and wash their hands. i can't say it would be my favoured place for a phone call but to each their one (I have to admit my friends phone me from the loo *cringe*)
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:01 pm
CrazyDiamond wrote:
Why am I the only one who voted that I don't care? I could care less. People are gonna have cell phones 24/7 in this generation.

Also, if their talking covers up the noise of their own crapping it's all the better. :wink:

Mad Get with the picture old people!

*cowers in corner*

lol. Now I know I'm getting older. These little 'uns ...and Big Uns too...are missing out on the Peace and Bliss of a nice relaxed ****.

That me time. Smile Like the Ivory Soap wrapper says "Joy is in the Simply things"
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:21 pm
flushd wrote:

lol. Now I know I'm getting older. These little 'uns ...and Big Uns too...are missing out on the Peace and Bliss of a nice relaxed ****.

That me time. Smile Like the Ivory Soap wrapper says "Joy is in the Simply things"

Pardon the crudeness but that reminds me of some graffiti from the seventies:

'There is nothing so overrated as a bad f*ck and nothing so underrated as a good sh*t'

Sorry.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Phone conversations in public toilets - Etiquette?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:32:24