Phone conversations in public toilets - Etiquette?

Chai

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:46 pm
Re: Phone conversations in public toilets - Etiquette?
nimh wrote:
hingehead wrote:
I just went to the loo and suddenly this guy inside a stall started talking - loud. I thought 'uh-oh, nutbag'. But then realised he was talking to someone on his phone.

That happened to me too the other day Shocked

I was just sitting there, hear someone coming in, entering a stall, carrying on a phone conversation.

Jesus.

Jesus is right.
Don't you feel like saying "What the hell is wrong with you over there? Can't you stop with the yammering and techno stuff long enough to pee?"

whew, this is getting me out of breath....

(chai totters over to chair, leaning more heavily than usual on cane)

darn hippiddy hop kids.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:19 pm
When cell phones first started getting popular - almost status symbols (for wankers) I had a *nasty* habit of whenever I saw someone using one in a restaurant yelling at them 'SELL! SELL!'
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:17 pm
Is there such a thing as etiquette anymore when you are out and about in public? Cell phone conversations while on the can are just one of the many annoying things. To me it represents the self-absorbtion that modern technology has encouraged. Convenience.

Someone said something about a boss telling them to take the cell into the toilet so they don't miss customers-- eesh. Pathetic, really.

But you know, even worse than a chit-chat while on the can in a public toilet is the driver on the cell phone. They are oblivious to just about anything around them. At least you can't get killed because someone is taking a dump and talking loudly at the same time.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:37 pm
Gala wrote:
But you know, even worse than a chit-chat while on the can in a public toilet is the driver on the cell phone. They are oblivious to just about anything around them. At least you can't get killed because someone is taking a dump and talking loudly at the same time.

As a cyclist I have to admit I get very nervous when I see a driver on the phone. They don't signal and they wander all over the road.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:05 pm
Gala wrote:
Is there such a thing as etiquette anymore when you are out and about in public? Cell phone conversations while on the can are just one of the many annoying things. To me it represents the self-absorbtion that modern technology has encouraged. Convenience.

You know, that is just so sad and disturbing that people have turned into such animals that can't figure out not to talk on the phone while they are taking a dump.

I don't even like talking to someone else while I'm in a stall. Sometimes I'll be in a restroom with someone who'll start asking questions, talking etc. while I'm in there. I've actually had to say "Can you please wait until I'm done?"

A couple times, I've had the other person ask "Why?" Rolling Eyes

Jesus, those little moments of quiet and contemplation should be taken advantage of.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 08:42 pm
Our switchboard and admin people have headsets on, so they can walk around the office doing other work between calls.

Sometimes they're eating when they take a call, sometimes they're filing, sometimes they're taking something to the mailroom, sometimes they're pooping.

It's disgusting.

I can't believe I work for a company that thinks it's appropriate - and times them for minutes they turn the phone off, so they really HAVE to do this.

Disgusting.

~~~~~~~

I get mad enough when people answer their cells while we're eating or talking, this takes me to a place far far beyond angry.

It's not like any of them are emergency surgeons. Nothing they're talking about is that important. Nothing.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 04:39 am
flushd wrote:

Now I know I'm getting older. These little 'uns ...and Big Uns too...are missing out on the Peace and Bliss of a nice relaxed ****.

Definitely signature line material flushd.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 07:09 am
ehBeth wrote:
Our switchboard and admin people have headsets on, so they can walk around the office doing other work between calls.

Sometimes they're eating when they take a call, sometimes they're filing, sometimes they're taking something to the mailroom, sometimes they're pooping.

It's disgusting.

I can't believe I work for a company that thinks it's appropriate - and times them for minutes they turn the phone off, so they really HAVE to do this.

[..] this takes me to a place far far beyond angry. It's not like any of them are emergency surgeons. Nothing they're talking about is that important. Nothing.

That is sureal. As in, nightmare surreal. What kind of f*cking world are we getting to live in? What is this, Huxley or Orwell?

Isnt there anything we can do to stop this machine from going ever more apeshit?

(Actually, come to think of it ... whatever happened to trade unions?)

I am going to be an anarchist again some time soon ... f*ck it.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:12 pm
hingehead wrote:
Gala wrote:

As a cyclist I have to admit I get very nervous when I see a driver on the phone. They don't signal and they wander all over the road.

I've seen this so many times: Person on cell phone while driving narrowly escapes a crash that would have been their fault, where they've driven too far out at a stop sign, or just barely stopped in time. If that isn't bad enough, what they always, always do after they've come to a screeching halt is, they still talk on the phone, give no indication like a wave or an apology to the other driver and then they speed off, gabbing away.

I remember when Walkmans first came on the scene in the 80s. it was unpleasant to be on the street and have people with their Walkman's on bumping into you or simply ignoring basic courtesies. That was the beginning of the insult-fest-- 20 plus years later we're just overloaded with more gadgets for people to tune out of their surroundings.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:15 pm
nimh wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

It's disgusting.

[..] this takes me to a place far far beyond angry. It's not like any of them are emergency surgeons. Nothing they're talking about is that important. Nothing.

That is sureal. As in, nightmare surreal. What kind of f*cking world are we getting to live in? What is this, Huxley or Orwell?

Isnt there anything we can do to stop this machine from going ever more apeshit?

(Actually, come to think of it ... whatever happened to trade unions?)

I am going to be an anarchist again some time soon ... f*ck it.

Brave New World indeed. More so than Orwell only because people are totally checked-out, unguarded in their oblivion, lost in their techno-gadgets and the immediacy of the gratification of their whatever.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 10:42:05