are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls."
And whisper'd in the sounds of silence.

- Paul Simon -
"Wednesday Morning 3A.M.", 1964
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 05:05 pm
Letty of the Lyrics,....You've done it again!

BTW, I didn't think my last post was THAT important, I just had a posting problem and now there's no X out on that page. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 05:10 pm
ah, Boo. It's so nice to be appreciated. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 06:03 pm
er, Boo. What X?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 06:21 pm
On most pages, there is an X, right next to the edit thingie. Click on that, and it delete's the post.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 07:34 pm
Well, Boo. I see we're back. Found an old Clifford Brown tape today...there's a sound that even a Mormon would love Smile
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:43 pm
You're gonna' cause me to check this guy out.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:44 pm
Sound/noise huh? How about the beautiful sound of silence?
No TV, no radio (even though we love jazz). No traffic on the road near our house. No nothing. No, nothing.
A good dog sound asleep at the foot of the bed. It's time for us to go to sleep, too.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:49 pm
Thank You Letty!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 09:40 pm
Boo, Cliff is worth checkin' out.

er, realjohnboy, I think I said that. Or at least Paul Simon did. Smile

Husker, you are welcome, but I'm not certain what for.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 11:12 pm
Letty, thanks for posting The Sound of Silence.
I never examined the words before, but they are profound!
I couldn't read them without actually singing the melody in my head.

And I just realized ... that song is something of a hymn!
(to me anyways) Cool!

------
Note about the X:
When you first post a message, there is an "Edit" and an "X" button available. You can secretly make as many changes as you like to get it right. But as soon as the next person posts, the "X" goes away and you can no longer delete your post.

Also from then on, when you "Edit" your older post the system will count how many times you did, displaying a message for everyone to see. Like this one...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 07:38 am
Thanks, CodeBorg. I'll remember your tip, and yes, Paul Simon's song is timeless. Cool
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 08:17 am
Doesn't Paul Simon's song show a dislike for silence?

Quote:
silence like a cancer grows

Inquiring minds want to know -- though I have always loved the song... and silence.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 08:20 am
Without any particular order

The sound of an big block engine in idle, and then just revving a little. Gotta be american made, and use a lot of gas doing it...

My cats purring for absolutely no reason, but purring just because they feel fine with me and my wife.

The sound that comes from grilling, sizzle!

Waterfalls! And Thunder, too!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 08:24 am
Pifka, tell more about the singing bowls?

Booman, the X is available on your own posts only until it is followed by another, after which it cannot be deleted. You can still edit them.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 08:32 am
Oh! Dueling alpenhorns. Only heard it once, but sitting out on the little balcony with a little spleef after the 6:00 pouring rain, and starting to hear these buttery notes carrying back and forth over the mountains, knowing the players must have lugged the things up their in that rain, or before it and sat in it waiting to toot their horns -- that was a good one.

Going out for Swiss village nachos and margaritas later that night was less of a good one, but damn, those horns.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 10:24 am
I love trying to imagine everyone's favorite sounds. Big Dice! I used to have a Buick Electra 225 (more happily known as the Deuce & a Quarter) which rumbled in a wonderful way, especially when the convertible top was down. Uhmmm, best car I had.

Roger, about the Singing Bowls. Oddly enough, I was looking up places to stay in Scotland and somebody there had a website about his collection of singing bowls. I've since seen them in Woodstock, NY and in Seattle. I'm sure they're in Santa Fe & Taos. Wink

They used to be had for a song (haha) according to my first source, but now they're expensive, especially the old large ones; and many are probably in museums. They are deep metal bowls with a smooth edge. You rub or roll a wooden stick or mallet around the edge and by carefully letting the bowl rest in your palm, you can make it vibrate. Exquisite (to me) sounds can be made. The first time I heard them was on the 'net, so I can try to find a link.

I've been allowed to play them in the shops, but I haven't purchased one... yet.

The Alpenhorns sound interesting. I like the sound of the Australian didgereedoo, at least as heard on recordings. I suppose in their element they'd be even more fantastic.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 10:36 am
Went to go fetch some bamboo from someone's house in the redwoods one time, and heard the exquisite metallic ringing I recognized as Gamelan, but so much more subtly and skillfully executed than what I was used to hearing (college students playing it in what I liked to call "Beginning Jazz Ensemble"). When I finally walked up to the place, the garage door was open and a little man in a ragged pair of shorts was stalking around his bowls, making this beautiful little musical prayer for the morning -- or so I imagined it; he was probably just tuning up, as 'twere. I tried to talk to him, but he didn't seem to have any English, so I got the bamboo and walked back into the trees with the bells bubbling serenely behind me. Very nice.

(Would much rather be blind than deaf, I think.)
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 11:05 am
Big Ben striking 12-00 mid day. Such a strong sound and so proud as well as it rings out over London.

In contrast is the beautiful music from the bell ringers they as plie their skills in an 11th century English Church that I know and love as part of my childhood.

The sound of an elderly bus rising up the hill into the village. The engine seems to be gasping for air, but the driver knows his gearbox and with a quick shift down, the engine finds another lung full of air and surges round the corner and into the village high street.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 11:25 am
Oh! The bells at night at Montserrat! Incredible!

(Okay, I go 'way now.)

The ones in Santiago aren't bad, either, but they're mechanized.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 06:21:42