what is your favorite sound/noise

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 02:08 am
"One hand clapping" is a rich but lonely celebration.
Silence can be paired with thought, and the smallest day is well spent.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 02:15 am
CodeBorg..
I would like no disputes about this. But one thing I should say is that "one hand clapping" (note that "one hand" is not a typo) has no relation with any celebration, but that it sounds very loud for those who listen to the sound of it.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 02:26 am
No disputes, just exploration...
Any references :-) to explore "one hand clapping"?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 02:33 am
It is by no means a riddle or the like. It is a famous "koan" of Zen buddhism. If you can hear the sound of "one hand clapping" you have experienced your existence as the universe. No logic here, but an experience.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 02:49 am
Have you heard the sound? I think everyone hears a bit differently, so I hold no expectation. Can you describe what the sound was like for you?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 03:25 am
(Silence.)
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 07:14 am
Just as I thought ... dispute is impossible here!
My experience is mine and yours is yours,
whenever we use those words.

I found myself humming though.
Does the sound of a heartbeat form a word if no one else is listening?

Curiously, I like the sound of passing time.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 07:19 am
Sound waves lapping on the shore.....

I used to have a sea side apartment when I lived in Colombo, with the Indian Ocean right across the road. I used to sit for hours in the balcony, just listening to the waves !!

And, the sound of a baby laughing - nothing comes close to that !
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:36 am
(McKenzie -- Very Happy )

I love hearing all these sounds in my mind! Farmerman -- the slow clop clop and whoosh of a buggy wheel? Wonderful!

The sound of silence? Very difficult to experience... even in the wilderness there are sounds of the wind and, if you're there (else how would you hear it?) the sounds within yourself. Still it is great to be far enough from a road to no longer hear the ubiquitous sounds of traffic.

I thought of another great sound -- has anybody listened to the sounds from a Tibetan singing bowl? Especially nice if you're making it sing.

And I love the sound of wind chimes, especially those deep notes! Nearly as good as a long, low fog horn in the distance over water. That is something very comforting to me, that someone else knows there is too much fog and is trying to protect the ships at sea. I like it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:49 am
At the beginning of one of the tunes on Roland Kirk's "The Inflated Tear" is recorded his toddling son in a laughing, bubbling, "Love you da-addy!"
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:58 am
PD - awwwwww........

Guatam -- have you seen that British show for babies... Telly-Tubbies? Once or twice during the show, they'll feature an image of the sun with the face of a real baby smiling and laughing. So sweet.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 12:10 pm
The other week we spent a few days on the coast and watching and hearing the seagulls circling above us was a great site. They call, screech and suddenly swoop for a morsel of food someone will drop. The lucky bird with the loaded beak is then chased & deafened by his so called buddies. Will the target bird choke on his morsel, drop it or escape ?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 12:13 pm
To find out, tune in next week for another episode of "Gull Oriented."

(eh?)
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 12:27 pm
The gull got whacked by a passing hang glider, choked and spirelled into the gaping jaws of a predatory seal.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 12:32 pm
...this thread is going to the Carnivora (down there in the water, with gaping mouths, turning seabirds to sealbirds by scaring the 'ell right into 'em.)
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 12:43 pm
Time for a mesage from our sponsor ----- The Noise Abatement Society
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 12:49 pm
Could you turn that up, please! I can't hear it over the radio!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 12:54 pm
...I'm not trying to be funny here, just honest. Nothing sounds better to me than the unmistakable gasp, of a woman I am pleasing. (As opposed to the possibly phoney, loud noises.)
...There is a blockage at second place. A babies cooing...tumultous applause...and certain notes, hit by Johnny Hartman, Charlie Parker, Gloria Lynne, Mario Lanza, Linda Jones, and Barbra Streisand. (These artists, may or may not be considered by me to be the best at their respective instruments, but their tone and emotion, literally give me chills...often)
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 01:01 pm
...I'm not trying to be funny here, just honest. Nothing sounds better to me than the unmistakable gasp, of a woman I am pleasing. (As opposed to the possibly phoney, loud noises.)
...There is a blockage at second place. A babies cooing...tumultous applause...and certain notes, hit by Johnny Hartman, Charlie Parker, Gloria Lynne, Mario Lanza, Linda Jones, and Barbra Streisand. (These artists, may or may not be considered by me to be the best at their respective instruments, but their tone and emotion, literally give me chills...often)
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 01:01 pm
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 10:27:46