Manhattanhenge

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 05:49 pm
http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/city_of_stars/images/19a_sunset.jpg

This, the sun setting exactly in the center of the East/West Streets, only happens twice a year, May 28 and July12.

Fuller explanation here:
Natural History Magazine

So when does it happen in your town?

Joe(amongst the new druids)Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,185 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 06:50 pm
I have no idea but I am curious and google turned up nothing, although it would most likely be a sunrise that created a special situation in Chicago.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 03:18 am
You may have to discover Chicagohenge on your own. Start by being a block from the lake every morning for a month.

Joe(You could be famous)Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 07:26 pm
So, when does Tulsahenge occur, Joe?

(I figure you already know.)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:45 pm
Because Tulsa's streets are laid out in True North South East West grid Tulsahenge ought to coincide with the the Summer and Winter Equinoxs in March and September.

Wouldn't the local church fathers like to know that the city is laid out just like the sun-worshipping Incas??

Joe(hee-hee)Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 09:41 pm
Ah, but that isn't entirely true, Joe! You have forgotten...downtown (the original city) was not laid out that way...the numbered streets are parallel with the original train tracks. I don't remember when & why it changed.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~oktulsa2/maps/downtowntulsa.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 03:12 am
In Tulsa, it's probably the difference between the pre-Statehood railroad men (everything must follow the railroad) and the Corps of Engineers (everything must follow the compass). So Tulsahenge wouldn't occur in your neighborhood, but if you looked West on 31st or 41st Street on the Summer Equinox you'd see the sun deadcenter at sunset.

Not all the Streets of New York line up either. Lower Manhattan is a maze hated by hack drivers.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/8766/manhattan6aq.png

New Yorkers didn't start lining up their streets until they built North of the Village known as Greenwich, about at the same time the Tulsa Corps was griding out the Oil Capitol of the World. (So modest were the early Tulsans)

I would wager a lot of cities resemble the same pattern as Tulsa --early build streets sort of stacked around each other until the middle history of the place where everything gets organized followed by the fifties-sixties suburban development schemes where no developer ever built a straight street or avenue. Archeologists in 20,OOO years are going to guess that, after the initial construction, we went through a phase of sun-worship, (they will probably find pictures of George Hamilton) followed by a phase where we went nuts.

Joe(they'd be right)Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:36 am
Good deduction as usual, Joe. Yes, I often wonder what future archaeologists will think, esp. about our huge highway systems. Our dependence on hundreds of thousands of frail machines to get us everywhere will undoubtedly seem odd.

I'm fairly close to 31st and the river now, so I'll have to do some looking to find a decent vantage point with tall buildings in the view. Hmm. I wonder if downtown would work at some point between equinoxes (sp?)...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 10:36 am
20,000 years from now.

Further digging for water sources, and thereby, additional energy from the Hydrogen found therein, has found an long forgotten riverbed in the area about 500Km from MegaDallas. There was some water found although most of it was contaminated by petroleum, that nuisance material found at so many older previously populated sites. Again, researchers found the wide, flat, ribbons of man-made materials that are believed to have acted as guideways for people hyper-traveling before the perfection of the ExactoPlacement Hydro-Drive.

No other significant structure were found except for the remnants of a statue of a large pair of hands.

Joe(No guesses about what that was about)Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:46 pm
With any luck, those hands will be melted down and the bronze reused for something else by then. (One can hope.)

Funny to think what they might make of other landmarks...

Archaeologists today discovered remnants of a huge fish statue with some traces of original blue paint still intact. The proximity of the open-mouthed plaster structure to the religious center once known as "Tulsee" leads cultural anthropologists to believe that it may have been used as a shrine. A popular religious myth of the time referred to a prophet ingested by a similar animal. Pilgrimages to the shrine may have been quite frequent, as it was located along a major pathway out of the city.

Artist's reconstruction:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~msmith03/route66/blue_whale.jpg
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:25 pm
Not quite chicagohenge but thought it was a bit coincidental when I looked out my window and saw this.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/274/dsc020606nj.jpg

I'll call it wavelandgolfcoursehenge.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:33 pm
Im going to see whether we have a Strasburghenge. If the summer solstice produces a sunrise that joins the railroad Museum with the ChooChoo barn, I will write a letter to the LAncaster Daily Intelligencer about their annoying habit of putting shoo-fly recipes on PAge 1. Usually right next to the stories of Amish Ax murders
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:38 pm
an odd spoken word bit from laurie anderson's performance piece united states

A Curious Phenomenon

Recently there has been a discovery of a curious phenomenon deep in the deciduous woods of Southern Illinois. In the midst of the underbrush there is a clearing revealing a circle of short wooden tree-stump-like structures. In the middle of that circle there is a post-and-lintel structure. The entire circular configuration is oriented toward the exact point at which the sun rises on the day of the summer solstice.
Who built this structure? And for what purpose? To what end? A primitive calendar? A center of worship? A lost tribe?

Woodhenge: A mystery that continues to cloud the American brain.

we now return you to your regularily scheduled posts
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:44 pm
Who's Laurie Anderson?

And that is a truly remarkable photo sublime1
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:06 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Who's Laurie Anderson?

laurie anderson

more here
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 06:30 pm
djjd62 wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Who's Laurie Anderson?

laurie anderson

more here

Of course. Sometimes this rock I live under blocks out my brain's music memory.

Thanks.

J
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 06:38 pm
for better or worse my rock contains a vast wealth of useless bits of information
0 Replies