Murder defendant tries to strangle lawyer in court

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:44 pm
BOSTON (Reuters) - A man charged with murder in Massachusetts was so angry with his lawyer's performance he attacked the attorney in court, trying to strangle him as a shocked judge looked on, Boston radio reported on Wednesday.

"I think he just didn't like the way some of the rulings the judge was making was going yesterday morning," attorney Bruce Carroll told WBZ Radio of the Tuesday morning attack by defendant John Gomes in Boston's Suffolk Superior Court.

"He eventually stood up, started saying something and reached over and grabbed me by the throat," said Carroll.

Several officers intervened before the 6-foot (1.8-meter), 250-pound (113-kg) Gomes was separated from Carroll, the radio reported. Carroll had tried to withdraw from the case last week but the judge denied his request.

© Reuters

I know this is usually Reyn's racket, but I had to share this.
Odds are, he won't be found innocent.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 534 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:18 pm
Re: Murder defendant tries to strangle lawyer in court
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
BOSTON (Reuters) - A man charged with murder in Massachusetts was so angry with his lawyer's performance he attacked the attorney in court......

An actual photo of the event:

http://org.zorpia.com/0/1807/11566348.f21014.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 10:13 am
Oopsie. Well, actually, there will most likely be a mistrial and the initial case tried again. And, of course, the lawyer's battery case would be tried later. Evidence of past deeds is admissable, I can't recall if future deeds is but this is a pretty unique circumstance. I'm so glad I don't practice law any more.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 10:14 am
Personally, i would prefer to engage an attorney who knew her trade, as opposed to just practicing.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 10:39 am
Sounds like he should see a councilor.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 12:03 pm
Undoubtedly the psychiatric examination will show that the unfortunate man has trouble dealing with anger and other negative emotions.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 12:06 pm
Was the lawyer a coward? Then the defendant could be charged with public lewdness.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 12:39 pm
Re: Murder defendant tries to strangle lawyer in court
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
"I think he just didn't like the way some of the rulings the judge was making was going yesterday morning," attorney Bruce Carroll told WBZ Radio of the Tuesday morning attack by defendant John Gomes in Boston's Suffolk Superior Court.

"He eventually stood up, started saying something and reached over and grabbed me by the throat," said Carroll.

If the above highlighted sentence is a representative example of the manner in which this attorney expresses himself--and if I were his client--I would feel the need to choke him too.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 12:41 pm
Yeah, that should really be over in the "Worst Opening Paragraph" thread. For several reasons.
0 Replies