Blogger, LiveJournal, MySpace, Flickr, whatever?

nimh

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:30 pm
OK, so, since some DJ I was listening to on webradio said, look me up on MySpace, I did and registered. Then, by randomly browsing, found the page of a band that I'd never even thought would still exist, and once made one of the best punk songs ever. And, using its option to look up real names, I found the page of a friend. So it seems like a good place to find people (back) on.

So now I'm thinking, I could use a page like that to post, say, What Made You Smile Today posts on, for friends back in Holland to read.

I've never had any urge to blog; I prefer talking to you people over talking to myself, and talking to yourself is mostly what personal blogging (as opposed to blogs about some specific subject) ends up being, from what I can see. I like the interaction here - if you make a blog, its basically you in the centre, and others can at most comment to your individual posts. Here it's more of a to and fro.

But I have been thinking about copying my WMYST posts and sending them (in edited versions) round to give people some idea whats going on now and then. And perhaps a blog or MySpace kind of place would be easier then, after all. (I'm definitely not going to invite people here.)

Thing is - I think MySpace looks dorky & noisy, mosta these pages are utter chaos (and theres something to be said for chaos, but I'd prefer elegance). And like people've said, its mostly loadsa teens posting on there. Tho, on the other hand, my friend and her friends, all online there, are no teens.

Would Blogger, LJ, be better alternatives? LJ looks a lot nicer, I think, from dipping in the occasional time?

Only thing is, it would be nice to set up a page in a place where lotsa people already there. Where Id be likely to find people I know, or know of, too, so it's less like talking to myself. Dunno whether that goes for LJ or Blogger. (Thats also the reason I'm not thinking about making a site of my own).

Posting photos would be cool too - this'd be a page for real-life acquaintances, would be nothing on there that I'd be embarassed to have real-life people find, so the hesitations I have here on posting much of real-life pics wouldnt apply. Flickr is an impressive place for photologs or whatever you call 'em - people post beautiful stuff on there! Nothing like Webshots. But its really only photos, huh.

Anyone try any of these, whaddaya think - or alternatives?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,797 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 02:04 pm
Since I find most blogs dorky, I have no advice about providers whose blogs aren't. But I have seen people on blogspot.com customize the appearance of their blog, maybe one of the themes they're offering suits your taste.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 03:11 am
Thanks for the tip, Thomas!

Anyone here use(d) LiveJournal, Blogger, MySpace or the like? What are your experiences?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 10:29 am
I found blogging painfully boring in about a month. At least for me, there was zero give and take, and I find it weird to post stuff on a regular basis when there's no feedback.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 10:34 am
i use blogger, but there's a good chance you may value different features than I do. LiveJournal is easy and more 'interactive' - it can look more like a2k, whereas blogger is really a blog. people can leave comments, but those are more out of the way, not central to it. I think you'd probably like LJ better, but look them both over.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 10:45 am
I use blogger (website below) and Dag and one old friend are the only people who read it. It's mostly to be a journal for me.

I going to look at those themes. I'm bored with mine.

Joe(atthewindow)nation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 11:16 am
I follow JoeNation at blogger pretty regularly, and keep a blog there myself.

My form of blogging is almost entirely related to photography, with an occasional foray into documenting some kind of adventure in writing. I generally only provide links to people who are part of the particular adventure since I don't expect anyone else to be interested in what my friends and I are doing.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 05:48 pm
Thanks for the input, people.

Yeah, I dont think straight blogging, as like, an activity for its own sake, is much for me. If theres no to and fro then why bother, is my state of mind kinda - I'm not that interesting, talking to myself doesnt seem worth the bother.

So posting somewhere would... well, it would primarily be to copy my WhatMadeYouSmileToday-type posts to, so people at home could see them too. You know, instead of actually emailing them the damn thing(s), which seems a bit much.

And on the other side, if there is actually something like a community like the one here, where you stand a fair chance of people finding your page and talking back (and being able to find theirs then too), well that'd be like an added bonus. Doesnt sound like thats happening at Blogger tho.

So LJ or MySpace then after all?

LJ looks better, but I think its smaller, so less chance of people being on there?

And on LJ you cant find people by their real name, right, you've got to know their username or the email that they chose to set up the account with? On MySpace you can search by real name... (which can be tricky too I guess, cause then so can, say, employers..).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 08:20 am
Um, can't you just send the url(s) to the people at home? No one needs to be signed into A2K or even have an account in order to read that topic.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 09:54 am
I almost started this same thread last night. Reyn suggested I start a photoblog. I said a2k was my photoblog. Will I really get something different from a photoblog? I suppose I should put one out there just as photo back up......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 10:44 am
Wikipedia has a long list of photoblog sites. I chose one, unmentioned here, as my new host site! Wheeee!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 10:48 am
I use a blog mainly to promote my writing and also to spotlight friends and sites that catch my fancy. I also keep in touch with a few friends through it. Sometimes I use BlogExplosion to increase traffic. The traffic it generates is mostly useless to my goals.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 11:00 am
Nimh, this is interesting and I hope you find something that would work for you. Please let me know if you do move your thread. I read a lot but seldom post anymore and I would want to keep up with everyone's posts.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 03:34 pm
jespah wrote:
Um, can't you just send the url(s) to the people at home? No one needs to be signed into A2K or even have an account in order to read that topic.

Shocked I definitely dont want real-life friends clicking my name & browsing around my posts here, thank you very much...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 03:40 pm
littlek wrote:
I almost started this same thread last night. Reyn suggested I start a photoblog.

If its just photos, perhaps Flickr? That looks like a really good site if posting photos are all you're interested in, sophisticated-looking searching system with tags as well as categories to attach to both your sets and individual photos, and groups on specific topics/themes you can join.. much fancier than Webshots, and some really nice photographing on there too.

Diane wrote:
Nimh, this is interesting and I hope you find something that would work for you. Please let me know if you do move your thread. I read a lot but seldom post anymore and I would want to keep up with everyone's posts.

Oh, I'd keep posting here! I'd just copy (and edit) selected daily-observation-type posts onto a place where real-life friends/family can find me.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 03:57 pm
this thread got me checking out some sites, and i thought, what the hell i'll register at live journal, so i set up an account and i'm told that somebody already has my username, turns out it was me, i'd registered about a year or more ago and then had never done anything
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 04:13 pm
I went with fotopic. I may try out a few other free sites to see which one suits me best.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 04:17 pm
ha ha djjd!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 06:02 pm
OK, so I went with MySpace for now.

Oh **** I was gonna link the page in but thats not allowed, is it. I'll put it in my profile.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:07 am
This is funny...

A Scientific Approach to Myspace's Failure :wink:

This looks useful...

Hacking A More Tasteful MySpace
0 Replies