material girl

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:30 am
Only the terradactils(spelling?)
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:34 am
material girl wrote:

Laughing Took me a second to pick up on that. God, it's been a long week.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:34 am
I'm no paleontologist, but weren't dinosaurs reptiles?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:43 am
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
material girl wrote:

Laughing Took me a second to pick up on that. God, it's been a long week.

Thanks, it wasnt one of my best but its the only flying dinosaur I could think of.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 09:01 am
It wasn't the Avian flu that killed them off, but it did affect the large predators, causing them to have terribly poor eyesight. This is evidenced by the last Dinosaur to roam on this Planet, called the Dyouthinkhesaurus.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 09:16 am
Aren't birds and reptiles considered to be decendants of the dinosaurs?

Or is this still unproven science?

Been a while since I've been to a dino museum.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 11:03 am
I believe that many scientists consider birds to be descended from dinosaurs, based on the internal structure of the bones--although i read that so very long ago that i don't recall the details. In a sense, dinosaurs are reptiles. Some systems of classification list them as Archosauria, however, Archosauria is defined as: Archosauria - a large subclass of diapsid reptiles including: crocodiles; alligators; dinosaurs; pterosaurs; plesiosaurs; ichthyosaurs; thecodonts. The word Archosauria is a modern construction, which combines the Greek words for ruler (arkhos in Roman characters) and lizard (sauros in Roman characters). So, it is accurate to say that dinosaurs are (or were) reptiles. They are a part of the sub-class of diapsid reptiles, and diapsid is defined as: Any of various reptiles having a skull with two pairs of temporal openings and including the lizards, snakes, crocodiles, dinosaurs, and pterosaurs.

Definitions courtesy of Answers-dot-com.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:04 pm
Setanta wrote:
I believe that many scientists consider birds to be descended from dinosaurs, based on the internal structure of the bones--although i read that so very long ago that i don't recall the details. In a sense, dinosaurs are reptiles. Some systems of classification list them as Archosauria, however, Archosauria is defined as: Archosauria - a large subclass of diapsid reptiles including: crocodiles; alligators; dinosaurs; pterosaurs; plesiosaurs; ichthyosaurs; thecodonts. The word Archosauria is a modern construction, which combines the Greek words for ruler (arkhos in Roman characters) and lizard (sauros in Roman characters). So, it is accurate to say that dinosaurs are (or were) reptiles. They are a part of the sub-class of diapsid reptiles, and diapsid is defined as: Any of various reptiles having a skull with two pairs of temporal openings and including the lizards, snakes, crocodiles, dinosaurs, and pterosaurs.

Definitions courtesy of Answers-dot-com.

I think the definitions for dinosaur classification need to be updated based on more recent information.

First of all, there were a lot of different types of dinosaurs, and the term dinosaur itself is a fairly generic term which includes some very different animals.

Reptiles are always considered cold-blooded. Yet good evidence now suggests that at least some dinosaurs were warm-blooded. So based on the simplest of classification characteristics, those dinosaurs could not be classified as reptiles.

It's an interesting question however, which is probably better addressed by asking if a *particular* dinosaur was a reptile.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:24 pm
I may be wrong about reptiles being cold-blooded. I just found this:

Quote:
Reptilia, presented as a Class in our classification, includes turtles (Testudines), snakes and lizards (Lepidosauria), crocodiles and their relatives (Crocodilia), and birds (Aves), as well as a number of extinct groups. Reptiles (including birds!) are amniotes; that is, their eggs are protected from dessication and other environmental problems by an extra membrane, the amnion, not found in the first terrestrial vertebrates (amphibians). Mammals (Mammalia) are also amniotes, but they differ from reptiles in the structure of their skulls (especially the regions associated with chewing and hearing). Mammals also have hair and feed their young with milk produced by modified skin glands (mammary glands).

Which clearly says that Birds are considered to be reptiles. I'm still trying to come to grips with this because I was pretty sure a Bird was not a reptile.

Source

I'm going to start a new thread on this because I'm no longer sure I understand the classification system...
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 01:52 pm
I think that most people consider the asteroid theory sacrosanct, but one Robert Bakker, a paleontologist, is not convinced. He hypothesizes that land bridges may have introduced diseases to previously isolated dinosaurs, and that this was, at least in part, the cause of the dinosaurs' extinction. So the avian fly hypothesis may not be to far off.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 05:28 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
I think that most people consider the asteroid theory sacrosanct, but one Robert Bakker, a paleontologist, is not convinced. He hypothesizes that land bridges may have introduced diseases to previously isolated dinosaurs, and that this was, at least in part, the cause of the dinosaurs' extinction. So the avian fly hypothesis may not be to far off.

The extinction may have had several causes, vulcanism and viruses among them. But asteroid impact was probably the primary culprit. Bakker's hypothesis doesn't explain the loss of life below the waves (amonites), only atmospheric blockage of light covers all the ecosystems and organism which seem to have been affected. Bakker is a little too focused on Dino's to see that other major flora and fauna were affected, and disease wouldn't do that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 09:19 am
Given the number of times a scientist stumped to explain species distribution has proposed a land bridge, it's a wonder there was ever any room for the oceans. The rise of the scientific study of plate techtonics has embarrassed most proponents of land bridges into silence. But, apparently not all of them . . .
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 09:47 am
There was no Avian Flu during the time of the Dino's. It couldn't have existed until humans came along to identify and name it.

Geesh. How quickly ya'll forget we humans "Rule!" Very Happy

Next thing ya know you're gonna be trying to tell me the Grand Canyon was created by an earthquake and not a flood.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 10:01 am
squinney wrote:
There was no Avian Flu during the time of the Dino's. It couldn't have existed until humans came along to identify and name it.

Geesh. How quickly ya'll forget we humans "Rule!" Very Happy

Next thing ya know you're gonna be trying to tell me the Grand Canyon was created by an earthquake and not a flood.

the flood that created the Grand Canyon is nothing compared to the flood of democcarcy and human rights that will flood the Middle East when bushs' righteous war in Iraq is completed.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 12:06 pm
So true, Bear.

But, I now have further scientific evidence that it couldn't have been the chicken that killed off Dinosaurs, Cause the egg came first. Now we must rename the deadly bug Egg Flu.

Thank red sauce and all things noodley we finally solved THAT age old question!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 12:58 pm
I thought the dino's were burned up by a leak of methane gas from the earth, that was met by a lightning storm?

Laughing
0 Replies