How does google earn money?

cibear

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 07:34 am
Google helps me a lot when I'm using the internet, But I do not know how google earn money? I do not pay the money actually, who pays?

Chai

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 07:37 am
Advertisers.

You don't pay to listen to the radio or watch network (non cable) TV, do you?
tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 07:37 am
I'm not sure how accurate this is for Google, but I ran across this researching an answer for you. If nothing else, it shows you the general way search engines make money.

How do Search Engines Make Money?
Looking at financial reports, you will see that most search engines lose money. Even though the search engines have made our modern use of the internet possible, they can't operate without money coming in. They are generally very secretive about their income sources, so the techniques listed here will not apply to all search engines. Not all search engines use all of these revenue sources. Like many ethical issues, the income sources are at the root of most questionable ethics. Here are some of the sources:

1. Charge advertisers for presenting online "banner" ads to users
2. Collect marketing data on consumer habits, then selling the data or using it for targeted advertising.
3. Charging websites to become listed
4. Charging websites for better placement in lists
5. Charging websites to purchase keywords for themselves
6. Charging users for searches
7. Charging other search engines to use their catalog
0 Replies

havkumar

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 01:12 pm
google mind
google keeps auctioning specific words each month.whoever(org) pays more money their site will be displayed first. Surprised
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:53 pm
Re: google mind
havkumar wrote:
google keeps auctioning specific words each month.whoever(org) pays more money their site will be displayed first. Surprised

I thought the order in which the search results were posted depended upon its frequency of selection (being chosen over others) and the small group up top that has the heading sponsored links, were the ones that payed a "small fee".
If that's true then that's pretty fucked up.....money talks....
suman haldar

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 07:58 pm
Check the History of Google and How does it earn so much (2007 Net income 16.593 billion)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google
Paul Biswajit

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 12:34 am
@Chai,
If i want to make an tey up buisness then what should i have to do. Paul
0 Replies

kerjay PG

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 11:56 am
i already think about google makes money through advertisement but i cant see any advertisements.. and that is odd if you say they bid to have it on the top list., because not all things we are searching are products. and some are definitions and stuffs. so you mean if wikapedia appears first, wikapedia pays bigger than other? but wikapedia is sort of search engine as well., i cant just get it. It not making sense really, anyways,, thanks to googles!!
Aamir Rafique

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 04:45 am
How earn mony with google
0 Replies

Mudassir Nazar

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 03:49 am
@cibear,
why
0 Replies

jeevraj

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 04:51 am
@cibear,

Google earns money through google adwords and share his income to the public through google adsense. its a billion dollar business. same technique is used by all search engines. you might hv seen ads by google. this is the way google earns money
Kuff

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 12:10 pm
@kerjay PG,
GOOGLE AUCTIONS OFF sponsered link space, up to eleven for each search, when you search, an auction takes place between the companies that fit your search criterea, highest paying first, etc. Now, YOU DONT ALWAYS SEARCH FOR PRODUCTS SO THERE ARE NOT ALWAYS SPONSORED LINKS. They dont have to make money off every search because of the sheer number of searches.
swatilekhasaha

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 05:35 am
@jeevraj,
google doesn't earn money by ads..if it would so thn whn u open google.com, hav u ever seen any ads there ,while u can see in yahoo or other sites..??basically whnever u open google page the no.of times u click upon it,it costs 5 paisa .every times...we pay money to our local server,and they pays it to the respective DNS server and they to their higher providing srver and so on...this is how google earns money..
jespah

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 07:54 am
@swatilekhasaha,
Google makes plenty of money via AdSense -- there is such a thing as paid search placement. Do a Google search and look on the right side, and at the top. Those placements are nearly always paid for.
hari chapagai

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 09:57 pm
@cibear,
how many member in google teams
0 Replies

abelboy

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:39 am
i think google earns great money from selling data? don't you think?
you know, CIA, FBI, etc.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 08:06 am
@jespah,
Actually, we discussed this very thing in the web design class few months back when I was, er, in college (no more sadly).

Is it really possible to make all that money from AdSense alone?
jespah

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 09:34 am
@spidergal,
Well, AdSense is a part of it. They also do licensing, and I believe they make some apps. Wikipedia (helfino if they are a decent source for this -- they can sometimes be a good source and sometimes just out and out crap) says it's 99% advertising, or at least it was in 2006: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google

Here's some more current info for investors: http://investor.google.com/earnings/2009/Q4_google_earnings.html
Looks like its paid clicks, cost per click, $$ from Google-generated sites, ad revenues from partner sites (that's AdSense).
spidergal

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 09:39 am
@jespah,
Thanks, will look up the links.
0 Replies

katerinak955

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:39 pm
Google makes commissions off of ads that show up in searches and off of commissions on sales. Google also provides several services for sale in addition to their free services. These include custom maps, merchant services, and sponsored links. Google.com makes most of its money from paid advertising. Whenever you do a search in Google.com you'll see listings at the very top and on the right side. Google.com charges money for those listings. Every time someone clicks on those links, they company that is listed gets charged. The amount varies depending on the competition for that particular key phrase that was searched. Key phrases can be as low as five cents per click, whereas others can be ten dollars or more per click.

Thanks,
Katerinak,
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed