A rose by any other name.

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 10:46 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Can I call you Steve-a-rino?

You can call me whatever you like sweet lady.

Eh, verbal isn't as bad, but when written, I really hate to see the V thrown in there.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 12:17 pm
A rose by any other name
Yes, CalamityJane, it is customary in the US, but has really become so only in the last 2 or 3 decades. And it is a custom that is disliked by many.*

Unfortunately, when I emphasize my last name in an office but the receptionist calls me by my first name, I can get really annoyed. Then they give me a hurt look as if to say "what's wrong? Don't you want to be friends?" My answer (usually made privately, but I have been goaded to say it out loud once in a while) us "No, I'm here on business; this is not a social situation".

VERY many.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 12:18 pm
A rose by any other name
P.S. I tried putting the word "very" in bright red large type, but it didn't work. But you get the idea.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 01:40 pm
Tomkitten,
I remember being introduced as Ms.XX when I came to the States for the first time.
Another way was Ms. husban's first name XX-
which I didn't like at all.
Now it always first name.

In Austria we have a third way- first name AND the
formal you.
In a business like situation I like friendliness, but this doesn't ask for familiarity. A certain distance would be favorable, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 05:18 pm
I prefer to see my entire first name in print. It looks better with my last name that way. Business contacts and some friends refer to me by this name. Family and other friends refer to me by my nickname.

I like both. I give people the choice of calling me by whichever they prefer.

Sometimes this confuses people, but I don't see why it should. My husband's business cards read "Robert W.," even though everyone calls him "Rob." Shouldn't it be the same for women?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 05:38 pm
Re: A rose by any other name
Tomkitten wrote:
Yes, CalamityJane, it is customary in the US, but has really become so only in the last 2 or 3 decades. And it is a custom that is disliked by many.*

Unfortunately, when I emphasize my last name in an office but the receptionist calls me by my first name, I can get really annoyed. Then they give me a hurt look as if to say "what's wrong? Don't you want to be friends?" My answer (usually made privately, but I have been goaded to say it out loud once in a while) us "No, I'm here on business; this is not a social situation".

VERY many.

I can understand that, Tomkitten.

However, I always ask those in authority positions of any kind if I may call them by their first name.

"Hello. I am Doctor Johnson."
"Hi. May I call you Jason?".
"I'd prefer Doctor Johnson."
"Fine. -I'm having a problem with my..."

Some people use names to intimidate people. I hate that. It's one thing to prefer to be called by a more formal name. Preference is fine.

I find though that once I have asked - it can bring 'the man' down a few notches.
Kind of a way of saying "Listen buddy, you may be a doctor, but we're just two human beings dealing with each other. Don't pull no big man crap with me."

Working under others or dealing with others who are used to being called by titles........well, sometimes people let their heads get a bit too puffy.

I am not in any way accusing you, Tomkitten, of this. Your post just made me think of it. Smile
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 06:18 pm
A rose by any other name
No problem, flushd - I didn't feel accused.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 06:37 pm
Quote:
"Hello. I am Doctor Johnson."
"Hi. May I call you Jason?".
"I'd prefer Doctor Johnson."
"Fine. -I'm having a problem with my..."

Actually, I do the opposite.
I don't really want to create a familiarity with them. I don't want
to call my gynecologyst Billy-Bob. I call them with their title and
their last name. They worked very hard to earn this title and in
a business environment or medical practice I feel it is appropriate
to address them in this manner (privately I don't). In return,
my physician calls me by my last name as well. I see a doctor's
visit as a business transaction, not a social call.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 07:06 pm
Nice thread, although I'm still trying to figure out how anyone mispronounces Jane or doesn't completely spell out Eva. Smile

I was named after my Moms best friend and the street on which she lived. I never really gave much thought to a different name. Doesn't seem that important to me. A lot of people ask if it is a nickname for another name, but it is not. Giving up my maiden name (think crackers) was harder than I had expected just cause I love my family.

My oldest sister, and sometimes Mom, will shorten my first name. Bear has shortened it a couple of times in the past and it really threw me off since I'm only used to it being done by my sister.

I'm giving renewed thought to changing my name, though. I'm thinking Knucklehead would fit. Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 07:39 pm
Knucklehead Ritz? Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:01 pm
That would be Knucklehead Ritz Squinney, to you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:05 pm
Mind if I call you "Knuckles" for short?
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 10:41 pm
Heeven wrote:

What name would you chose for yourself? Esmeralda.

lovely name.....Esmeralda is also the heroine of "The Hunchback of Notre-Dame"...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:24 pm
Only problem with that name is - it would be shortened by people to .... Esme. I wouldn't like that.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 08:20:37