Mercury disposal...Help, urgently!

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 09:52 am
I have just managed to break a mercury thermometer whilst trying to sterilise it. There's a tiny glob of mercury in the bottom of a cup, how do I dispose of it safely?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 819 • Replies: 10
No top replies

honey rose cr

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 10:59 am
Thought I'd better say, I've disposed of it now. In a safe and non-poisoning myself or anyone else sort of way.

For future reference, I rang my local pharmacy and asked to speak to the pharmacist there, who has a waste disposal unit thing in the actual pharmacy, so she did it for free...

Also, this website is v useful- Mercury info
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 01:07 pm
That's cool.
I didn't know a pharmacy would do that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:32 pm
Don't you just dump some sulphur on it and let it stew. Unless you drink the stuff it's only really harmful after a lengthy exposure to the vapour.
I would have thrown it in the trash bin if it was a tiny glob. If it was really harmful I doubt you could buy a thermometer.
0 Replies

Red888

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:08 am
Nothing should happen unless you shove the mercury up your nose. Elemental mercury is quite safe to work with for a short period of time. If you had some liquid nitrogen handy you could freeze it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:24 am
Well, they are sure making a big deal out of it here.

Mercury scare in city, UNC

They said on the news last night that if a piece of clothing with a trace of mercury had been put in a hamper, all of the clothes would have to be disposed of properly.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:01 pm
spendius wrote:
Don't you just dump some sulphur on it and let it stew. Unless you drink the stuff it's only really harmful after a lengthy exposure to the vapour.
I would have thrown it in the trash bin if it was a tiny glob. If it was really harmful I doubt you could buy a thermometer.

The only really accurate thermometers are the mercury ones, which I don't think are manufactured anymore.

I have several mercury thermometers in my home, tiny and very large. If they break, I'll just dump the mercury in the waste, as I've done for many, many years. Not a big deal, since the total amount of mercury is very small, no matter how large the thermomter.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:02 pm
squinney wrote:
Well, they are sure making a big deal out of it here.

Mercury scare in city, UNC

They said on the news last night that if a piece of clothing with a trace of mercury had been put in a hamper, all of the clothes would have to be disposed of properly.

Sounds fishy to me.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:03 pm
Red888 wrote:
Nothing should happen unless you shove the mercury up your nose.

Or, even worse, if you inject it into a vein. DIdn't an episode of CSI(?) or Law and Order feature a mother, who was injecting mercy into her child? Confused
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:05 pm
honey_rose_cr wrote:

For future reference, I rang my local pharmacy and asked to speak to the pharmacist there, who has a waste disposal unit thing ...

A Bio-hazard waste bin?
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 05:33 am
Probably.

It's still dangerous, that's why you CAN'T buy mercury thermometers anymore...well you shouldn't be able to, I believe they've replaced them with electronic etc.
0 Replies