Authors of Indian Origin fan club

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 11:56 am
I see it in the Books category -- maybe it's been shadowed? (That's where it's in more than one category at once...)
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 12:18 pm
Yeah, it's in the Asia category as well - but doesn't list any posts. Didn't know about the shadowed thing...
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 12:46 pm
Interesting thread!

Bookmark. Smile

Heatwave--

Here's my filled in application form <hands>

Hope you will enroll me into the club. Smile
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:49 pm
Show me the color of your money, Spidergal. Smile

Join in & welcome! So who's your fav/least fav of this list, and why? Any other authors that you like and would like to talk about?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 01:00 pm
_Heatwave_ wrote:
Show me the color of your money, Spidergal. Smile

Join in & welcome! So who's your fav/least fav of this list, and why? Any other authors that you like and would like to talk about?

Ruskin Bond is my favourite.

For now, I want to talk about Kaavya Vishwanathan. It would make interesting chat. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:12 pm
There is at least one thread devoted to her already I think...

It could tie in here though that the genre is quite popular in the US -- basically, it sounds like she had a pretty typical (and derivative in more ways than one) coming-of-age tale, and then was told to add a lot more Indian details. I think part of that is just standard "write what you know" (good advice), and part of it was an attempt to put it in the modern Indian fiction genre.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 06:05 pm
Spidergal: Hmmm.....Kaavya V. hmmm....kind of bored with her actually. My only thought when I think of her: silly kid to waste such a golden opportunity. Oh well. I don't find her very interesting.

Sozobe, you're right about that genre being popular here. It's becoming the new cash cow, and people are beginning to churn out such absolute drivel. On a recent coast-to-coast trip, my husband bought me this paperback from the airport. Sari & Sins by Nisha Minhas. Do NOT read this book. I wonder how this person ever found somebody to publish her book.

In Midnight's Children, Dr. Azziz is on his way to meet his future wife. He's going to examine the bits and pieces she will naughtily manage to expose to him through the cloth screen that is supposed to protect her modesty. Smile
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:20 am
Been a long time since I checked on this thread.

Actually, it's been a long time since I read a book!

What made me think of it was the fact that the Namesake movie was just released in India (and in Canada, I believe). I guess it'll be a while before it reaches the US. Definitely will be a while before I get to see it on DVD, given that there are no Hindi-movie playing cinemas around, and the closest Indian video store (at about 20 miles) will probably not buy the Namesake (not quite mainstream enough).

Am curious....anyone here seen it yet? I really really like Tabu (playing Gogol's mother), not a fan of Irrfan (playing the father), and have only heard good things about Kal Penn (playing Gogol). Here's a review I found on rediff.com.

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2007/mar/09name.htm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:25 am
I'm not actually sure where you are, _Heatwave_, but the Namesake is playing now in America -- I don't think all cities, not sure.

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thenamesake/

I look forward to seeing it.

I finally read "The Inheritance of Loss" by Kiran Desai, really lovely!!! It kind of tapered off rather than having a satisfying ending, but it was some really good writing.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:28 am
I guess it's already been released in the US. Hmm.....

Here's another interesting article, with both Jhumpa Lahiri and Mira Nair (who directed the movie). The first para is just stuff....but it gets interesting as you read on and Jhumpa talks about how long it took her to write the book and Mira talks about casting Jhumpa and her daughter in the movie etc...

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2007/mar/23mira.htm
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:32 am
Hi, Sozobe. Yeah, I was a little behind times there.

I'm in a suburb of Philly. Will have to scout about a little, maybe some offbeat cinema in Philly city will play it. I'm really really looking forward to seeing it.

Another book-based movie that I had wanted to see and couldn't was Mistress of Spices. Though I'm not a fan of Aishwarya Rai, the actress who plays the lead, I had enjoyed the book very much. Got panned in the reviews though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 04:04 pm
Isn't Vikram Seth Indian? I like him/his writing. Am presently reading Video, short stories of Meera Nair; also like these a lot. I think a movie was made from one of her stories, not sure which - or maybe I'm confused, since the book jacket doesn't mention it.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:23 pm
Hi, ossobuco. Yes, Vikram Seth is Indian. MsOlga, a big VS fan, has a long-running thread about his writings...

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59755&highlight=
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 11:24 pm
I watched Mira Nair's "NAmesake" yesterday. It was good...
BUT it was bit of a letdown compared to the book....so many layers were gone.

I loved Mira Nair's "Monsoon wedding" - wonderful movie. I had very high expectations of "Namesake" the movie, i think...
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 10:33 am
Going to see Namesake this Friday! Sooooooooooooooooo excited. First movie in the theatre in TWO YEARS!! (M's going to be two in a couple months - by way of explanation.) And the movie will be my 35th b'day present to myself. Yeah!

Hiya Sakhi. Nice to see you!
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 09:47 pm
Happy Birthday! Heatwave. Have a great time!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:27 am
Heatwave--

Happy birthday. Some people deserve self-indulgence.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:57 pm
Ah, it's still Friday over there -- so I can wish you without having to add the cumbersome "belated"!

Happy Bday, _Heatwave_!
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:22 am
Thanks, sakhi, Noddy24 & spidergal! I did indeed indulge myself - and not a bit guiltily at that.

So. Namesake. I thought it was excellent. It is the first time that a film hit me so hard, and so personally. It actually really made me consider my life, our future - B's & mine, as well as M's and of any other children we will have. I think I just sat in the theatre, transfixed, and watched without blinking the whole film. I have never done that.

I think Mira Nair has outdone herself. IMO, she has outdone Lahiri in the telling of this story. Sure, the film doesn't have all the details in the book - it is to be expected. But she has captured SO well ALL the nuances of an immigrant's life. I could talk ad nauseum about all the minute details that Nair has visually woven into the film - but I think the film just begs to be seen. I do think that it probably spoke more to me because I am an Indian immigrant and my children are/will be first-gen citizens.

After the film, B & I had a drink at a restaurant nearby, and that's all we could talk about. Our lives, our future and our children's future. I wish she'd make Nikhil's story next. A window into my childrens' lives after we're gone.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:41 am
Thanks for that perspective, _Heatwave_. I did think of you while reading the book. The movie sounds really wonderful, I look forward to seeing it.

And Happy (belated) Birthday!
0 Replies