Anyone heard Paul Simon's new album?

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:56 pm
I'm having a difficult time imagining what it might sound like Paul Simon and Brian Eno? hoodathunk?

From AMG

Paul Simon
Surprise
Warner Bros.

Paul Simon's tenth solo album Surprise does indeed deliver on the promise of its title. The singer/songwriter has teamed up with Brian Eno, an electronic music pioneer who seems to be on opposite ends of the musical spectrum from Simon. Instead of sounding awkward, Surprise sounds risky and natural, with Eno's "sonic landscapes" (the credit he bears on the back cover of the album) functioning as the perfect counterpoint to Simon's dense, elliptical songs. The end result is one of the riskiest and most rewarding albums so far released this year.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 856 • Replies: 10
No top replies

eoe

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:59 pm
Sounds very interesting. I'm willing to give anything Mr. Simon does a listen.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:09 am
It does sound interesting! Anyone know anything about the lyrics, any particular themes Simon explored on this one?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:20 am
Some reviews on Amazon.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:46 am
Thanks, hinge. I'll probably buy it. No, I know I will!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 04:42 pm
I await your review - I'm completely not sure. I did get Martha Wainwright though!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 08:01 am
I bought it today & have played it once before going out. I think I'll have a more definite opinion after a few more listens. I don't know that I'd describe it as "risky & rewarding", but hey, it's early days ...

I'm still enjoying Martha. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:37 am
Sat down & had an uninterrupted listen to Surprise this morning. Reading the words to the songs as I listened. I'm changing my earlier comment: it actually is quite quite challenging & different. It certainly isn't Rhymin' Simon! More later if anyone else has listened to it & wants to compare notes.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 01:08 pm
gjdftj
Once Paul Simon split with Garfunkel (even though Simon wrote all of their material) can't say I realy like Paul Simon.

But then don't really think much of Simon and Garfunkel either, so just ignore me.

But if you really want an alternative, try suicide........... just playin'.....LOL
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 04:47 pm
Paul Simon is always worth listening to, with or without Art.
0 Replies

YellowRosebud

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 09:00 am
I agree - I haven't found a Paul Simon song yet that I have not enjoyed. I haven't had the chance to hear the cd that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It's definitely something I'd like to take a listen to.
0 Replies