Finding People on the Internet

gollum

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:44 pm
Is there a website where if I input the name of a person and an address that he or she used to live at, it will tell me the person's current address?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,587 • Replies: 23
No top replies

gbob

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 03:09 am
be abit worrying if there was, any crazy fucked up person could hunt u down.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 05:04 am
http://www.zabasearch.com/

If they cannot find the person that you want, you can, for a fee, do a more intensive search.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 04:33 am
Hehe... it seems that every crazy **** up person can hunt you down, gbob.

But if someone had reason to you'd probably know about it.

Here in norway everyone can be found, unless they don't want to be, in which case they would merely reserve themselves from public listing.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:35 am
I would **** myself if someone called Gollum was looking for me.

x
0 Replies

justtupeu

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:53 pm
Quite sure we'll never have something like this.. Everybody has it's right for privacy, and that's very important.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:58 pm
justtupeu wrote:
Quite sure we'll never have something like this.. Everybody has it's right for privacy, and that's very important.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

It would seem you have a bit to learn about how the Web and the 'Net work.

I agree privacy is important, but I'll observe that most folks have a very poor understanding of what merely posting content to online websites, forums, discussion boards, and usergroups entails. With no effort beyond typing your username into just one search engine, I came up with nearly 25,000 hits -

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4339/justtapeura3.jpg

Bouncing around through what is available via just a very few of the links yielded by that search, I was able to dig up, among other stuff, what you claim is your real name, the country, province, and town you claim to be from, phone numbers and street addresses you have listed, eMail addresses you have used, along with an IP block containing several IP addresses (consistent with your self-claimed location) from which you've posted to various websites and forums, that you have an interest in and offer your freelance services pertaining to website design and SEO, and that apparently you or somene posting through the Wikipedia account linked to your username has been warned about spamming Wikipedia - all publicly available, easilly accessible info.

Nothing unusual there - the method will turn up enough info on almost any username to make tracking down the person behind that username a matter of little or no difficulty. By and large, "privacy-through-anonymity" on the 'Net is a myth.

Oh, and you can relax some; I won't post here the actual identifying info I turned up - that wouldn't be ethical. I may have loose morals, but I do have strong ethics Mr. Green
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:19 pm
Never realized how much you could find out from a search engine and you don't even have to be a technogeek to find this stuff out.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:25 pm
sublime1 wrote:
Never realized how much you could find out from a search engine and you don't even have to be a technogeek to find this stuff out.

As I said - most folks don't realize it.

Another thing to note - with just a little "geekiness" used maliciously, even more information easilly may be ferreted out, but by and large, most legitimate "technogeeks" are pretty ethical types. There are badguys out there, of course, but fortunately they're a very small minority. Still, for their relatively small number, they can - and do - perpetrate a dismayingly disproportionate amount of damage if given the inclination, motivation, and opportunity.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 10:51 am
I did a search on my username. One or two links to my posts on this forum popped up, but there were a whole lot of other pages in all kinds of languages, in no way related to me, so all in all I guess I'm pretty safe. Good luck finding the real me. Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 11:18 am
That's why I chose such a popular American name. There are millions
of "Calamity Jane's" out there. Razz
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 11:30 am
Cyracuz wrote:
I did a search on my username. One or two links to my posts on this forum popped up, but there were a whole lot of other pages in all kinds of languages, in no way related to me, so all in all I guess I'm pretty safe. Good luck finding the real me. Smile

Oh, I dunno - took some doing, and I easily might have gotten off onto the wrong track, but I'm curious; would the initials AB and a phone number ending in 5879 mean anything to you?
0 Replies

zoofer

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 12:45 am
Hhhmmmmm
Maybe he left town!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 12:06 pm
Mebbe he's just looking for some Danish cheese, zoofer Mr. Green
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 12:40 pm
yikes timber.

Those are my initials yes. And those digits are the last for in a number I had years ago. Looks like you found me. Well done.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 02:37 pm
Don't worry, Cyracuz ... my morals might be loose by some standards, but I've got strong ethics Laughing
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 05:21 pm
All the same.. remind me not to pizz you off. Exclamation
0 Replies

John Ramires

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 04:32 am
Try Interpol site, maybe it'll help
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 01:33 pm
Btw, who are we looking for?
0 Replies

ginguh

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 10:57 pm
wow...you're good, timberlandko. I kind of doubt you'd find anything on me though, because I use different usernames for everything.....
but i could be wrong :O

edit: whoops, sorry I didn't realize this was an old thread
0 Replies