GREENHOUSES

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:19 am
I'm planning on building a greenhouse within the next year. I want to grow more than just flowers. If you have, or had, a greenhouse,

what do you have growing in it?

How large is your greenhouse?

If you could build your greenhouse again, would you do anything different?

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 614 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 02:04 pm
My tips? Don't build it right up against a boundary fence, as you want to have enough room to fit round all sides when it comes to cleaning or repair.

If possible, get a thermostaticaly controlled automatic window opener, as when it gets hot inside, it REALLY gets hot. You can then go out for the day, pretty much safe in the knowledge that your plants won't fry.

Don't build it under a large tree. Falling branches and all that!

Whitewash paint the sloping part of the roof and walls (on the inside) that faces towards the arc of the sun. This diffuses the very strong rays, and makes it more tolerable for the plants.

Always follow strict hygiene routines when maintaining the greenhouse. If you look in your garden centre, they will have specially formulated disinfectant wash mixtures. Wash the greenhouse out thoroughly at least once a year, including pots and trays, work surfaces and floor. Everything, really. Remove all mould that develops in the frame, and avoid putting diseased plants into the greenhouse, if possible.
Fungus and infestations love a warm greenhouse, and will spread like wildfire.

Have fun, and good luck!
0 Replies