COLLOSSUS... The Baffler

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:49 am
Help, Please!!!
Im stuck on 4 questions to the baffiler! can someone help me? its doing my head in!
1 Tibetten monks!!!
2 Perfume Route!!!
3 Petes football team!!!
4 London theatre school!!!
Please, please, please help.... ive almost finished this one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 933 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:28 pm
Hi markwasp

I'd be pleased if you could indicate from which Colossus magazine these clues come from. Latest number is 103, or if you are in the Uk it will be different.

Also, to each question,give us the length of the word (number of letters) and any possible letters that you already have, all these little things help to find the answer for you.

No 1 is easy, LAMAS, but with above help we'll find the other ones for you.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 12:01 am
Hi markwasp

Had another look at the clues you gave and found a couple more answers which you could try and see if they fit. As I said, I do not know the length of the words you require, so my submissions may well be wrong. Anyway here goes:

2.Perfume route - NABATEAN

4.London Theatre School - RADA (Royal Acadamy of Dramatic Art)

Petes football team. No idea, need more details if you have them, cross letters etc.

Hope the above words will fit.
0 Replies

markwasp

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 07:21 am
Dutchy thank you, im new to this forum.
The ones youve gave me so far fit, thankyou.
Im doing the May edition of colossus the baffler (im from the uk)

I now need only 2

1 perfume route od_i_ (not sure if its right)
2 Petes football team _antos

Thanks for you help so far, if i get these 2 it will be the first time ive finished the baffler.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 09:20 am
Hi markwasp

Thanks for the extra information and welcome to a2k. If you watch the various Lovatts threads here you'll soon pick up what's it all about. There are lots of people willing to help you. Supply as much information as you can and most likely someone will pop up with the right answers.

Coming back to your queries I feel number 2 is "SANTOS". This is a top Brazilian football club from Sao Paulo. It's most famous player was the legendary PELE. I now wonder if the clue in your Baffler mentions "Peles football team"??

Our May edition of the Colossus is due out tomorrow, I don't know when your closing date for the puzzle is, but if you can wait for a little longer I will try to find the answer for number one for you in the next 24 hours.

Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

markwasp

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 09:35 am
Thanks Dutchy you have been a great help to me.

the Perfume route (i now have) od_is

Thanks for all your help so far
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 09:59 am
Hi markwasp

Not having the grid in front of me I can't check the letters you've got, however give the following a try, and see if you can make it fit.

ORRIS

NOUN: 1. Any of several species of iris having a fragrant rootstock, especially a variety of the hybrid Iris germanica. 2. The fragrant rootstock of the orris, used in perfumes and cosmetics. Also called orrisroot.

I know you have od?is, however your D may well be wrong, see how you go. In the meantime I"ll keep looking tomorrow. Now going to bed as it is 1.30am down here.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:54 pm
Hi Markwasp and Dutchy,

Dutch, the Colossus 104 baffler is different to the one that Markwasp has- his clues don't match ours.

Markwasp, is the clue 'Perfume Route' or 'Perfume Root'?
If it is the last one I believe the answer to be as Dutchy has said- 'Orris',
but it would mean your second letter 'd' is out of place. Could you recheck the spelling for us and also give us the clue that crosses it where you have placed the 'd'? It would be a big help Smile

Also, is the clue "PELE'S football team" ? 'Santos' would fit your answer if that is the case. (As our Dutch has already supplied :wink:)

If you could get back to us with the above information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

markwasp

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:18 am
Dutchy and Butterfly......

Thank you so much for your help, you were right it was ORRIS, im sorry i made a mistake. It all fits now.

Thankyou again, i hope i can be of some use to you sometime

Thanks again

Mark
0 Replies

shellcam

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:49 pm
colossus answers
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
hi all!!! if anyone could help i am looking for the answer for answer to colossus clue being_ a word for master blair - L-O.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:04 pm
Welcome to a2k shellcam. When you post a question give as much information as you can. Colossus 109 has 4 prize puzzles can you tell us which puzzle your clue is from, Cashwords, Giant Cryptic, Baffler or Stinker? My entry has gone in and I only have a photostat copy of the answer left, I could look it up if you quote the puzzle with across or down clue indicated. Thanks.

From memory the answer is "LEO", the youngest son of Prime Minister Blair of England.
0 Replies

farkha

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:52 am
markwasp,
Pele's football club was Santos
Pelé (chosen as "Athlete of the Century" by the IOC in 1999) started his career with the team in 1956, at the age of 15, and remained with Santos for 17 years. With Pelé, Santos won the Intercontinental Cup in 1962 and 1963.
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:06 am
Hi Farkha

That question you just answered goes back to May 2006!! Smile

Have a nice day.
Dutchy.
0 Replies