A boy and his old dog

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 08:11 am
Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.

Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?"

The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that,
so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 526 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:55 am
Wonderful, BBB.

I remember when my son had his third birthday, and all his friends came round for a party.
We had a young, boisterous labrador at the time, who had been banished to the garden, in order to prevent chaos.

My In laws arrived, and asked where Ben was. "Outside in the garden" he replied."He's not allowed to come to the party".
"Why is that?" asked Grandad.
"Because he doesn't have any lips, so he can't blow out the candles" was the reply.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 11:14 am
Ellpus
Ellpus, that's a dog everyone could love.

My son has two dogs. One is a giant yellow Lab named Buddy. The other is a giant Rhodesian Razor Back named Meagan. Whenever I visit my son and the dogs are in the house, before they can greet me I have to brace myself again the wall or someone's arm. They are so large and playful that they can accidently knock me down (being an old woman).
Needless to say, I play with them sitting down.

BBB
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 11:51 am
That is a beautiful story, BBB.
I had a dog I watched be put down when I was a child, as well. I certainly didn't react the same way, though.
0 Replies