Fat Dogs

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:51 pm
OK I have 3 dogs I have two that stay outside and one inside. They are all the same size. I feed them the Ol' Roy dog food in the red bag. The two dogs outside are FAT I'm talking huge and they run all day long but the one inside the house is normal. On this ol roy red bag stuff they're weight has gone up and down but now it's just getting horrible. Could someone please tell me a good reasonably priced dog food to help them with the weight problems. Please please please
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 924 • Replies: 7
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 07:05 pm
I have no suggestion for dog food, but just wanted to stop in and tell you that I love the title for this thread.

You have inspired me to start a polka band and I shall call it "Gus and the Fat Dogs."

Thank you.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 07:06 pm
Ol' Roy is a very cheap food that is corn based, we fatten cows on corn before slaughter. You also need to check with a vet to see if the dogs are bloated, they might have a stomach or intestinal problem that is making them look fat. I feel it is better to feed dogs a quality food (IAMS, Nutra, Science Diet) because it saves on vet bills and gives the animal a longer, healthier life. You might want to consider having fewer pets in the future in order to afford to give them a better quality food.
0 Replies

EdKo Divine

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 07:07 pm
what can I say, i have a knack for titles. thank you though.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 07:22 pm
great a thread about Setanta
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:08 pm
Believe it or not, Iams and Eukenuba also have corn in the first 5 ingredients...and that's what you need to avoid. COrn is a filler and like us, dogs can't digest it. I suggest Natural Choice. It has no corn, wheat or soy. Nearly human grade food. It runs about 32 bucks for a 40 pound bag, some places up to 38 bucks but because there is no filler, your dogs eat less and therefore the food lasts longer.

There are options out there.
0 Replies

Newt

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 02:18 am
I would suggest a simple thyroid test for these dogs. They may have a hypo active thyroid problem that leads to obesity. The medicine is very inexpensive.

Newt
0 Replies

neko

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 08:17 pm
I have been working in vet offices for a few years now. Ol'Roy is like eating McDonalds on a day to day basis. I would also suggest to stay away from Iams, Science diet, and most foods you buy at the grocery store. The best brands of food that I have come across, and are easy to find are Royal Canine and most natural dog foods.

When looking for ingrediants, vitamins E, C and beta carotene's are very important. Generally you want to stay away from any by-products.

Smile
0 Replies