I confess...

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:29 pm
But, it turns out, as I was thinking of living here, I read some article about those, and they are arguably quite ecological, certainly versus humongous ac systems. Now, trust me, I am ignorant on all this, just saying what I read.

The thing with LA, and I, presume, SD, though I only lived in La Jolla for a while, renting at that, is that weather really varies. At least in Venice it could be rain city for four days and then, seemingly four minutes later, Santa Ana conditions.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:36 pm
I will now return to bed in a short while, and dream of GreenWitch dressed as a farmer.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:36 pm
I live so close to the ocean, ossobuco, I don't need any cooler.
The name "swamp cooler" is just so funny, and after the great line Lash
brought on, it just cracked me up Laughing

..........im still laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:38 pm
I didn't even know they still used swamp coolers. But it makes better sense to use a swamp cooler than AC unless it gets way too stifling!

I'm with Lash....wow! A good swamp cooler and a good jet hole ream in one day is a banner day in my book! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:40 pm
............I am resisting furiously.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:41 pm
Yeah, Calamity, nice, but I apparently own one, and I am as bemused as you would be.

But back to confessions and chocolates.

there is a fine store Diane and I visited in Santa Fe. Too bad I don't have a link....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:48 pm
I've lost my train of thought on swampcoolers and associated subjects but assume I will pull myself together some time later to post on this..
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:49 pm
Here, for those like me who haven't heard of a swamp cooler.

A swamp cooler cools air by evaporation
Q: What the heck is a swamp cooler and how does it work-Jack W., Washington D.C.

A: A swamp cooler (more formally called an evaporative cooler) is essentially a large box-like frame containing a big fan and walled in by water-wetted pads, usually made of cedar shavings or cellulose. The fan whooshes the hot outside air through the dripping pads (which are continually soaked by a water pump), cooling the air by about 20 ºF as the air evaporates water molecules from the pads. The fan then blows the water-cooled air through the house and out a deliberate vent.

Right: [ASAP Heating & Cooling] Cut away photo of a swamp cooler

Wet the back of your hand -- then blow on it. Your skin surface feels cooler. That's evaporative cooling.

Folks differ on why it's called a swamp cooler. Some say because it makes the house feel like a muggy swamp-but that's only when the late summer rains come and the cooler is less efficient. On dry days-which is almost every day in a desert-a swamp cooler works fine. In high humidity areas, like Washington D.C., they don't work at all because the water does not evaporate appreciably and thus the air is not cooled.

Swamp coolers are popular in the southwest because they are relatively inexpensive, use a quarter as much electricity as a refrigerated unit, are easy to maintain by the average do-it-yourselfer, and add a comfortable level of humidity to the dry desert air. The smell of fresh cedar pads on the first hot days of summer is delightful.

(Answered by April Holladay, science correspondent, September 19, 2001)

Thanks, again, osso. I had never heard of such a hing. Great idea, and IT IS ecological.

Now, back to indulgences!!

I never did get that second coke...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:53 pm
I am eating chocolate as we speak .............

(as a possible band aid) Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:54 pm
<I burped again>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:00 pm
a second coke, I missed that while whiffing off in space...

on swamp coolers, there seem to be levels of them, re money to bear upfront and energy saving as they go along.

I guess I have a super swampcooler. Can that make up that I have f'ked up pipes big time (polybutylene), and wussy concrete? and no gfi's in the kitchen? whoever did this tract bought and paid, slime city. I gather that there have been lawsuits but I am too late.

Howsomever, I like every one of my neighbors I've met so far.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:12 pm
Even Dys?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:28 pm
He's not her neighbor, Spanky.

Methinks, I have to switch to dark chocolate to avoid ....well.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:31 pm
I'll let you all know when I get a clue myself.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 11:41 pm
osso, I am just so happy that you made it through your move and you are where you are. Smile Lots closer to me now, kind of like when we were both in California, except that was closer still. Smile

I am looking forward to a trip to the desert one day to see your new digs and visit with all you Southwesterners. I may even pick your brain on landscaping ideas, if you wouldn't mind.

Time to grab some chocolate....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:39 am
I'd never mind your showing up, LadyJ. Give me a half hour warning, please.....

On closeness to Dys and Di, as the birds fly I am very close, basically across a golf course. Alas, one has to drive around the g/d golf course, and the distance becomes a couple of miles. BBB is also in this neighborhood, and also not walk close. Same golf course in the way.

Let me as an urban planner address this matter...
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:29 am
I kept trying to tell them all that life is better on the East-side, but would they listen? The West-side has been exploding for years with new construction that seems determined to replicate Orange County in New Mexico. Lots of houses crowded together on small lots. The West-side has much less water available, though the developers seen to think that they can expand the population over there almost indefinitely.

Here on the civilized and older East-side, we've pretty much run out of empty space to build on. There's a better and more plentiful water supply on this side of the Rio where the Sandias catch and hold our miniscule persipitation. Lots here are larger, and the houses tend to be older. Those new West-side houses have some great modern bells & whistles, but most on the East-side they were built to last. Real Estate prices here have continued to climb, and parts of the East-side are already experiencing the "tear-down" practices of Manhattan Island and San Fransico.

We love Albuquerque, and Corazon de la Osa. However, its just too big for a couple of older people ... especially if Natalie doesn't make a full recovery. I'm supposed to stay off of ladders and caring for so much ground is difficult and an un-need expense. Water is expensive in this whole region, and if you have as much land as we do .... I can't bear the thought.

Anyway, come on out here folks and enjoy the Land of Enchantment. Moving here was one of the best things Natalie and I ever did for ourselves.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:48 am
Im workin on my wife on this very matter. I appreciate your analysis on the housing situation in Ab Asherman. Whats the route number of the road they call the "turqoise trail"? weve always like that area and we are not looking to be in the town , although its spread out since I first started going out to Sandia in the early 80's.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:17 am
last night, my "snack" was an entire cantelope, and a bag of fake ass butter popcorn....
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:06 am
I just sharted.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I confess...
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 03:17:33