I Think that I Made a Real Mess this Time...................

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:05 pm
I was feeling a little frisky this evening, so I decided to download Mozilla Firefox. I found a few glitches, so I uninstalled. I assumed that my icons would restore to Internet Explorer.

Anyhow, now when I click an icon on my desktop, instead of the website, I get the "Open With" box. It says, "Choose the program you want to use to open this file". I also checked "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

I choose "Internet Explorer", and I get the website.

When I click the same icons on my desktop again, I still get the "Open With" Box.

Is there something that is eluding me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,052 • Replies: 26
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:17 pm
Although timber would be your best rsource, did you try going to "Tools" and "Internet Options?"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:22 pm
c.i.- I think that I fixed it. There was actually more to this than I had written on the original thread. I had used my Norton "Win Doctor" after I had uninstalled the Mozilla, and I had a lot of problems that were discovered from the program. After I repaired them, I could not even get on to the internet. The way that I was able to get the "Open with box", was to undo the repairs that I had made.

Now I am going back to Norton, and repair the problems again. Wish me luck!!! Sad
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:23 pm
Try opening IE from the "Start", "Programs" menu and once it's open set it to be your default browser.

(Open IE, go to "Tools", then "Internet Options", Go to the "Programs" tab and check the box that says "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser...". Then Close IE and Open it again and check the box in the pop-up)

Lemme know if that fixes it for ya!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:32 pm
fishin'- It seems to be alright now. I believe I set it back to the "default", so now it is on Internet Explorer. I also cleaned up with Win Doctor, and this time it did not mess anything up.

The only problem is that now I have a splitting headache! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:37 pm
Take one tylenol and call me in 24 hours. Wink
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:39 pm
And tomorrow try Moxilla Firefox again as it is a much better browser
than internet explorer.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:48 pm
Quote:
"CalamityJane"- said, "And tomorrow try Moxilla Firefox again as it is a much better browser
than internet explorer."

It seemed a lot faster. My mistake was letting Firefox become the default browser. When it wasn't, I would go to the Firefox icon on my desktop, and there was a screen which asked me if I wanted it as the default browser.

For awhile, I just took the extra step of clicking off the screen. Then I made Firefox the default browser. I have my Favorite favorites (like A2K Very Happy ) as icons on my desktop, and it is so convenient. The extra steps that I had to take with Firefox was a pain in the ass.

I think that that was my mistake. It was after I made it the default that I seemed to have some problems. There were probably some conflicts that I had inadvertently created.

I will try it again tomorrow, when the headache abates, but for the time being, I will keep it as a secondary browser.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:06 am
Those WinDoctor and Cleaner untilities are all dangerous.
I honestly don't think that any of them really do any good to your machine at all.
And they can do far, far more inadvertent harm with a couple of seemingly sensible clicks. And the program will cheer you on saying that it's "cleaning" up OK.
Yeah, cleaning your registry right back to it's blank state.

I had some very bad experiences with CleanSweep years and years ago as if it wasn't obvious.
Laughing
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:16 am
CalamityJane wrote:
than internet explorer.

As I have heard of this firefox thing on numerous occasions, would someone be good enough to explain, in layman's terms (think gardening/Boomer), why it is better than IE?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:35 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
than internet explorer.

As I have heard of this firefox thing on numerous occasions, would someone be good enough to explain, in layman's terms (think gardening/Boomer), why it is better than IE?

These may help:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38821&start=0

http://www.able2know.com/forums/about65881-0.html
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 03:16 am
Thanks Deb....I will consult my offspring of the son variety and ask him to twiddle a few knobs for me. If I tried to load the thing, I have no doubt that smoke will erupt from the back of the machine, just like it did when I tried to cool it down with some water last summer.

With this firefox thingy, will I still be able to get my "Nuns and personal hygiene" website?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 03:29 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Thanks Deb....I will consult my offspring of the son variety and ask him to twiddle a few knobs for me. If I tried to load the thing, I have no doubt that smoke will erupt from the back of the machine, just like it did when I tried to cool it down with some water last summer.

With this firefox thingy, will I still be able to get my "Nuns and personal hygiene" website?

No. Firefox has a built in taste o meter.

You will get a severe electrical shock if you attempt to use it for such purposes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 05:41 am
Heliotrope- I have been using Norton WinDoctor for 7 years, and have never had any problems with it before. I think that in this particular case, the utility probably deleted some shared files which I needed on Internet Explorer.

After I did the first cleanup on Win Doctor, (24 errors) I would get the dreaded box with the red circle with an "X" in it. (You know, the one that comes out together with a sound that Microsoft stole from some grade D horror movie). Anyhow, the box said something like there is no extension connected with the program that I wanted, and I did not know how to fix that. The only way that I was able to get on the internet at all was thru Outlook Express, which was not affected by my tinkering.

After I undid what Win Doctor had done, and made IE the default, I went back to WinDoctor. It found only 16 errors, which indcated to me that it was the other eight that they had previously removed that was causing me the problem. Now it is working fine.

My next question concerns my downloading Firefox again. For the time being, I will keep IE as default, and go thru the machinations of getting into Firefox. Yesterday, the thing that caused the problem, was my desire to use both programs (Firefox & IE)

How does one use Firefox as a default, but have a means of getting into Internet Explorer from time to time?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 05:54 am
create a shortcut icon on your desk top for IE
Right click an empty area on your desktop screen select, new> shortcut > and enter the location of your IE explorer .exe file (or browse till you find it)

my IE desktop shortcut properties says

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

Then set firefox as default browser, it should ask if you wish to import favorites or bookmarks or something.

I have mine set up as above and never had any trouble at all.

the scrolling was a little jerky at first but i changed that. Tools> options> advanced> check the box for smooth scrolling.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:03 am
I'm confused. You have links to websites on your desktop????

Argh. Buy a Mac.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:05 am
cjhsa wrote:
I'm confused. You have links to websites on your desktop????

Argh. Buy a Mac.

Question
That is one of the things that the desktop if for.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:07 am
Not really. Only if you like to clutter up your machine. I only keep application icons on my desktop.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:16 am
I have only 21 icons on my desktop. Seventeen are for websites that I use very often.

Dadpad- Thanks for the info. I am going to reinstall the Firefox this afternoon, when I have some time to "play" with it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:24 am
Dadpad- This is so strange. One of the problems that I had last night, was that I could not find "Internet Explorer" in my program files. If I had, I would have just sent it as a shortcut on the desktop. This morning, there it was, plain as day.

That'll serve me right for tinkering the computer in the evening, when my brain is half shut down! Embarrassed
0 Replies