Fruit or nut?

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:50 pm
I'm thinking of planting a tree in my backyard.

I am considering: apple, peach, cherry or hazelnut (some of you might know them as filberts). All of these trees grow very, very well around here.

Since I don't know whether I will still be living here when the tree reaches maturity I want one that is pretty even when it is young.

If you were to plant such a tree, which would you pick?

Or would you just stick with something ornamental?

Help a girl out!

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,631 • Replies: 20
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:54 pm
Put me down for a sparkler crab.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:02 pm
That is a pretty tree!

Is the fruit edible?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 06:18 pm
we have a beautiful flowering crab in the yard

http://h1.ripway.com/djjd62/crabtree2.JPG
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 06:28 pm
I would personally plant a cherry tree, but that's only because I love cherries.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 06:30 pm
I'd take a cherry tree, they're just beautiful when in bloom.

http://www.5bbc.org/images/2004/montauk2004_cherrytree_large.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:03 pm
Nut. Just in case somebody doesn't feel like doing a lot of picking, the nuts are easier to get off the ground, like with a mower.

On the other hand, I know of no other way to get genuinely fresh peaches.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:06 pm
CJ
That tree is gorgeous. My cousin has some in her yard and she told me she'd give me one of the small ones if I wanted it :-)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:16 pm
I have blueberries, grapes and blackberries in my yard. If I could cut down the towering white pines and plant some cherry trees I'd be a very happy guy. Just can't bring myself to cutting down 100+ year old white pines though...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:19 pm
I hear that, Fishin. I couldn't do it either.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:24 pm
Maybe we should both go plant some cherry trees in Boomer's yard. We could show up once a year and have a harvest party! Razz
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:29 pm
Sounds like a lovely idea :-D
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:32 pm
Take the cherry tree if you can get it, Montana. THey're lovely in every
season.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:59 pm
The reason I think "cherry" is that my neighbor's tree is so wonderful -- but it is probably 50 years old. Plus, he says the birds take care of whatever he doesn't pick - and he doesn't pick many because he thinks they are too sour.

But even he agrees that it is a beautiful tree.

The reason I think hazelnuts is because I know the squirrels will take care of any ungathered nuts and, as roger points out, the harvest is easy.

As far as fresh any of these things I can go to the "U-Pick" orchards and get my fill by barely leaving my neighborhood (God bless the strict urban growth boundry). That goes for just about any kind of berry as well.

I just thought it would be nice to have my own tree.

And I need another lovely tree in my backyard.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:01 pm
fishin' wrote:
Maybe we should both go plant some cherry trees in Boomer's yard. We could show up once a year and have a harvest party! Razz

You are all invited! We can plant and we can get together every year for a test until tasting!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:57 pm
Let's get back to that idea, after everyone gets this Chicago thing out of their systems.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 09:04 pm
I have an apricot tree in the back yard, and it's bloom in spring is just as beautiful as a cherry tree. Also, the apricot tree is very hardy, and I've been cutting back branches almost every year without harming it. Now, if I can get it to fruit properly. LOL
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 09:10 pm
Many trees have great blossoms and have uninteresting form much of the rest of the time. One fruit tree that once looked great to me when it wasn't blossoming was a persimmon tree in a Neutra house yard - I've no idea if it makes it in your area. I don't know fruit trees well enough (most don't do well in my old LA area) to know which are best for tree structure. You might take a look at some websites for that, if it interests you, Boomer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 09:12 pm
If you're considering a cherry tree, don't you need two?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:57 am
Cherries (or at least choke cherries, which is what my folks have) = birds = guano everywhere. If you plant the tree far enough from the car and front door, no prob. But theirs is right by the driveway and the car gets it every year.

Peaches are nice, I think they may be squirrel magnets, someone else can confirm or deny, I'm sure. Same with nut trees.

So there's a downside to all of them, to go along with the upsides of prettiness, fruit and flowers.
0 Replies