Scottish "clubs"

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:47 pm
Are "clubs" what they call gangs in Scotland?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 704 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 11:25 am
Depends on your point of view.

some examples

pejorative: gang, rabble
neutral: group
approving: club, society, association

As far as I know, in Scotland, gangs are generally called "gangs". A notable exception is the Burns Society Wink If a bunch of "neds" are vandalising your neighbourhood, you might well refer to them as a "gang". In the 1970s the Edward Heath Conservative Government referred to the Northern Ireland IRA as a "murder gang". However, I don't think that either the neds or the IRA would use the word "gang" to describe themselves.

Maybe members of a marginal informal grouping would call it a "club" because it sounds nicer?
0 Replies
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 11:29 am
I thought an Irish club was called a shillelagh.
0 Replies
Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 09:58 pm
they are known as gangs aswell, not clubs.

also, you cant call neds a gang either because that would just describe the fact that there are a number of them togther.
0 Replies

Related Topics

THE BRITISH THREAD II - Discussion by jespah
FOLLOWING THE EUROPEAN UNION - Discussion by Mapleleaf
The United Kingdom's bye bye to Europe - Discussion by Walter Hinteler
Amanda Knox - Discussion by ossobuco
Sinti and Roma: History repeating - Discussion by Walter Hinteler
[B]THE RED ROSE COUNTY[/B] - Discussion by Mathos
Leaving today for Europe - Discussion by cicerone imposter
So you think you know Europe? - Discussion by nimh
  1. Forums
  2. » Scottish "clubs"
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 08/13/2020 at 05:48:28