Clowns brighten Chinese hospitals

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 08:40 am
A heartwarming story about kids and cheering them up.
Clowns brighten Chinese hospitals
Sunday, April 23, 2006
A dozen pint-size patients laugh and shout when the man with a red plastic nose waves a magic wand and turns black-and-white drawings to colour.
When the clown twists a balloon into the shape of a dog, 8-year-old Ke Xinqiao claps so hard that his mother worries he will accidentally pull out an IV needle. The ecstatic youngster hardly notices as she pats it into place.
His attention is focused on clown Liu Yongjun, who, along with his brother Liu Jinjun, has been brightening up the drab wards of two children's hospitals in Beijing since 2003.
With their goofy blue-and-white balloon trousers and magic wands, the Liu brothers are China's first hospital clowns, pioneering the therapeutic benefits of a dose of laughter.
The Liu brothers come from a family of acrobats, magicians and jugglers and have been clowning since they were 11. Now in their 50s, they make their living performing at birthday parties, fairs and luxury hotels in China's capital.

Hospital clowns are familiar figures in the West. But in China, public hospitals are bleak places where strict visiting hours mean children might see their parents only once a week.
It was the lack of support for hospitalized children that inspired Claudia Vogg, a German woman who was working in China, to set up Magic Hospital.
"For the kids, just seeing these guys in costumes and with their painted faces, it's different from the endless parade of white coats," said Magda The, one of the Magic Hospital's 13 volunteer workers. "They know they are going to have some fun."
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/insight/story.html?id=b95a3705-0515-4801-b207-a98bd22519a8
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 708 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 11:54 am
This is an idea, developed 1986 in the USA and widely known in Europe as well since the earliest 90's: we've several hospitals in Germany doing such and quite a few preofessional "hospital clowns".
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 12:23 pm
Great idea, Walter.
Whoever thought of it should be admired.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 12:29 pm
It was
Big Apple Circus Co-Founder Michael Christensen
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 04:10 pm
Yep...I often share the lift with the clowns in my hospital.

Frankly, it is a little scary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 04:32 pm
Ole Patch Adams at work.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 06:46 pm
clowns are scary and creepy. I wouldn't be able to get in an elevator with one.

if one visited me in the hospital, I'd sh!t the bed.
0 Replies