[answered] What's up with the quote function?

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 07:49 pm
Hasn't worked for a couple of days, I believe.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,179 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:42 pm
Re: What's up with the quote function?
Reyn wrote:

Seems to be working just fine now.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:58 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Reyn wrote:

Not really - there's a coding glitch - actually a few things are sorta on-and-off wonky over the past few days. The problems are known, and they'll get sorted out as time permits. For now, a work-around for the broken quote function is to place a check in the box to "Disable HTML in this post" on the Post a Reply/Preview page. Clunky, but it works.

Also, it seems to happen only when the
Code:[quote="so-and-so"]
tag is used - doesn't appear to happen if just a plain
Quote:
tag is used.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 09:03 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Reyn wrote:

Not really - there's a coding glitch - actually a few things are sorta on-and-off wonky over the past few days. The problems are known, and they'll get sorted out as time permits. For now, a work-around for the broken quote function is to place a check in the box to "Disable HTML in this post" on the Post a Reply/Preview page. Clunky, but it works.

Also, it seems to happen only when the
Code:[quote="so-and-so"]
tag is used - doesn't appear to happen if just a plain
Quote:
tag is used.

Heheheheheh.......

I think I have figured out another way.....post your message several lines below the quoted material.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 09:24 pm
Nope, its the initial
so-and-so wrote:
tag thats the problem - subsequent nested quotes within the parent quote appear to render correctly. Irritating.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 10:07 pm
Somebody slipped the Hamster a beer or something Smile

Anon
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 06:43 am
The problems with the quote function are the same as the ones with not getting email updates and the search function occasionally throwing off a message saying you cannot search so soon after an earlier search --

these are all related to Craven working on the site. Why is he working on the site? Well, I'm glad you asked that. He is working to solve a number of security issues, one of which is hacking/service takeover attempts made by flooding. See, flooding is (for the purposes of this discussion) when a hacker uses a program to send out numerous requests to do something, numerous as in several per every few seconds or even several per second. Since the search feature is somewhat database labor-intensive (e. g. it takes a lot of juice for the system to do a search as it has to check every single post for whatever word(s) you're looking for), it's a natural for hackers to try to exploit it. Therefore, Craven is playing around with (among other things on the site) the flood control feature. This assures that no one can do a search more than once every 5 seconds, I believe that's the most recent setting. Most of us will not notice a difference but a hacker would because a flooding program would be thwarted.

I'm not 100% certain what is being done with quote or emails but I know that it is related (I believe there was an attempt to get into outgoing emails, so that's why they were shut off, but don't quote me on that).

As for quote, the changes keep, well, changing. It sometimes works, it sometimes doesn't, it sometimes only works for a straight quote but not a quote of a person (e. g. where it starts with quote="user"). Expect this to keep changing as Craven gets to a setting that he likes, that works and does what he wants it to. BTW, putting extra spaces in a quote means nada. It's the code that matters, whether it's enabled by him or disabled and, if it's enabled, whether it's correct in a post and whether the post has "disable BB Code" checked or not. But spaces have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Thanks for your patience, everyone.

PS Please send these questions to the Help Desk. I have seen some of these questions buried in long topics and those are just not going to be seen by me or Craven. You cannot expect us to go hunting for your questions all over creation when clearly there is this much work being done on the site. This is why we have a Help Desk. The idea is to centralize the repository for the questions so that we can find them. I found this one by chance -- and don't you want to have me actually find your questions and answer them, rather than hope that I might stumble upon them? Thank you very much for your cooperation herein. Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 10:12 am
Quote:
PS Please send these questions to the Help Desk.

Noted. Sorry for the hassle.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 11:00 pm
Turns out the quote problem was with the quick reply mod. It has been removed for now.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 11:02 pm
I wasn't aware that you could quote with the "quick reply" mode, but thanks.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 11:23 pm
I was wondering what was going on and I knew it wasn't an extended April Fools.

That was fun, by the way Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:04 am
You can't...so I imagine that must have been a bastard to fix.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:47 am
gonna miss ya, Quick Reply old buddy old pal.
be well...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:52 am
I've been having the quoting problem too.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:54 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I've been having the quoting problem too.

As have I...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:00 am
Crying or Very sad Quick reply was my buddy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:17 am
Intrepid wrote:

He's dead, Jim.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:23 am
Quote:
Intrepid wrote:

He's dead, Jim.

Quoth the wabbit--Nevermore!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:31 am
Setanta wrote:
Quote:
Intrepid wrote:

He's dead, Jim.

Quoth the wabbit--Nevermore!

Oh, Idunno.

I fancy I still have a quoth or two left in me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:35 am
Were you coiffured and quaffing while you quothed?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » [answered] What's up with the quote function?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:18:27