Ms. Brown Thumbs garden journal.

boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 09:09 pm
Seeing as how much of my life is plotted on the calendar you sent me, Eva, there is no reason for you to blush. Planting something in your honor only makes sense!

A nice bit of wine always helps to ease whatever ails me as long as I keep track and don't over-indulge.

Mr. B is being a bit doting tonight, which after his toatal dickheadedness the last few days, is both lovely and annoying. To be fair, when I don't feel well his entire world seems upside down so I can forgive a bit as long as I can fantasize about denting his head with the claw end of a heft hammer.

If I were a better actress I could probably have that patio installed by next weekend.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 03:16 pm
Hi Boomer. I just came across a good rule of thumb for gardining, and thought I'd pass it along.

If you are weeding, and you wonder if the plant in front of you is a weed or a valuable plant, there's an easy way to tell. Grasp the stem and give a firm pull. If the roots come out of the ground easily, it's a valuable plant.

Have fun!
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 03:32 pm
Wy, that is funny and oh so true! Laughing

I am having some hardscaping done this year and am having a pergola built when it is finished. Blacksmithn, are you building it or using a kit? I want a pergola with a removable cover, ie., canvas that can be lowered and raised since obviously vines can't give you shade right away.

I start tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, unusual annuals and perennial flowers that I can't buy in most places. I plant directly into raised beds, corn, squash, potatoes, peas, and several kinds of beans. I only grow heirloom tomatoes because I love a platter of tomatoes that just taste heavenly. I try to grow all colors so the platter is a work of art to look at besides eat!!!!

A tip: if you know anyone that raises alpacas or llamas, ask them if you can get some of the manure. It is nuclear!!! It has no smell and can be directly applied without burning. I also use earthworm castings when I transplant and seaweed extract. Makes for healthier roots.

Happy gardening, Boomerang!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 04:08 pm
Here's a good website for you, Boomer......

www.bbc.co.uk/gardenersworld

Loads of stuff, including a big Q and A forum.

And......How to be a gardener......from the very basic stuff, upwards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/index.shtml

(on the above site, this is the page that is most relevant, methinks.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/module7/setting_up_your_plot1.shtml

I'm interested to know what "asparagus beans" are. I always love reading American threads re. plants, as there is always something new and exotic sounding. It brings home to me how vast your country is, and your wild variations in climate/temperature.

My tip........make a compost heap in a secluded corner of your garden.
A compost heap is the "engine room" for future planting, and can save you a fortune compared to ready made stuff from the garden centre.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/module7/making_your_own_compost1.shtml

It also saves on the amount of garbage that needs to be hauled away, as a fair proportion of your household waste can go straight into the heap, giving you wonderful plant fuel as and when required.

Money saving tip......if you are in need of a propagator (for seedlings/seeds/cuttings, get a pack of those disposable clear plastic shower caps.
Large plastic flower pot with several seeds in it, a little sprinkle of water, pop shower cap over the top (built in elastic "headband" keeps it in place) and ...hey presto, a propagator at a fraction of the shop price.

One thing more. If you are planting anything that needs copious amounts of water....loads of mulch (already mentiouned) and then get your hands on some of that flexible ribbed plastic pipe stuff. Before putting the plant in place, pop the pipe down one side of the hole, so that the bottom end is about 9 inches below ground level. Plant your wotsit (melons need oodles of water) and fill hole. Cut plastic pipe off so that two inches remain above soil level.
Makes the watering a lot easier, and gets the water straight down to the roots.

Have fun.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 05:18 pm
Oh thanks for all the tips!

I'll be checking out those links LordE.

Asparagus beans are also known as dow gauk or Chinese long beans. They are supposed to grow pretty well around here, from what I've heard.

Actually just about anything can grow here - it is the idiot gardeners paradise.

I don't know any llama ranchers but there are several llama ranches near my house. I drive by them all the time! Perhaps I shall stop and ask for poop. Better yet, maybe I can talk Mr. B into letting me have a llama!! That would be fabulous. Do they need a lot of space? I have a biggish yard but I don't want to cramp an animals style.

Copious amounts of water is hardly a problem in Oregon. I hardly ever have to water my garden and really only in the summer which is pretty dry and has very long days. My garden seems to thrive on neglect.

Earthworms! Oh my gosh you should see our earthworms. They're practically snakes. There is actually a variety called the "Oregon giant earthworm"; we haven't found any of those in our yard yet but here is a good example of our typical garden worm, he was at least a foot long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/diary/hands2.jpg

Today was clean up day. Yuck.

Usually the yard belongs to Mo and me but I've been begging to rip out the deck and put in a patio and that is Mr. B's domain. That meant doing instead of playing but everything looks pretty nice now.

I transplanted many of my newly hatched ferns into big whiskey barrels and even though I swore not to discuss decorative planting the effect was so nice I thought I'd include it.

Mr. B took off with Mo and so I sprayed weeds (I won't use any kind of chemical with Mo around) and put down some slug bait (pet, child and wild-life friendly) (they don't call this place slug town for nothing).

The only seeds I planted were for Tumbelina carrots and I put them in long skinny pots because it seemed like fun.

I finished the teepee for the long beans and made a nutty scarecrow on the top to it.

I came up with an idea for a herb garden table using some old retail display grid wall. I bummed a lot of tiny little square pots of my neighbor that should make the whole thing work. It will be a goofy thing but fun.

Ahhhh....

When it is sunny and 70 degrees the world seems like such a happy place.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 03:44 pm
I follow the PBS garden show in hi-def -- excellent.
Smart Gardening:

SMART GARDENING LINK
0 Replies