DEAD GUITAR

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 09:23 am
I play pedal steel but have a few old guitars that Ive had made as left handed instruments. One of which I tried playing this weekend. Its a Gibson C-1 classiacal . I havent played it in a few years. It sounded DEAD. I was playing it and it just seemed that there was no resonance in the instrment. Is this even possible" It used to have a nice mellow sound. I had it made years ago when I was a kid in grad school and I was into guitar jazz. Can a guitar lose its resonance from just sitting in the case?

IF so, whats the physics involved here
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 748 • Replies: 8
No top replies

music-lover

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 11:33 am
Is it out of tune? sometimes that can happen even when just sitting around, confussing i know, how does it go out of tune? don't know, but it does it somehow
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 11:35 am
I know it sounds stupid to ask if you restrung it... but did you?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 12:04 pm
I tuned it by ear and I know the notes are ok by the chords. No , bear, I havent restrung it. Duhhh. Maybe I oughta do that before I kvetch about supernatural forces.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 12:36 pm
change the strings...then sight down the neck to look for a bow...then see if the bridge is starting to pull up...that would cause the strings to distance themselves from the sound hole...ergo...less sustain
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 12:41 pm
farmerman wrote:
I tuned it by ear and I know the notes are ok by the chords. No , bear, I havent restrung it. Duhhh. Maybe I oughta do that before I kvetch about supernatural forces.

GO WITH OCCAMS RAZOR AND TRY NEW STRINGS FIRST. IF STILL DEAD, FOLLOW PANZADES ADVICE. PROBABLY JUST THE STRINGS THOUGH. excuse the caps Embarrassed
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 01:15 pm
OHHHH I FEEL SO PHUKKIN STOOPID> It was the strings.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 01:23 pm
just a leftover moment from that floyd concert back in the day... a momentary lapse of reason..... it happens...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 03:38 pm
ahhh yessss. Flloyd Dentenhouser. HE could play a jews harp like the great ones.
0 Replies