Tales of Personal Failure

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 12:36 am
edgarblythe wrote:
You have successes in other ways is all. Plus, you take good photos.

Hey, you still up at this late hour? :wink:

I'm sure it's the small things, but I look at others and marvel at the talent that they have. For example, artistic drawing /painting abilities. I've always wanted to be able to draw without it looking like crap.

The photography thing is is okay, but I'm not sure that's ability.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 12:37 am
Stray Cat wrote:
Awww, I want to hug Reyn!

http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Cats/CatHoldupT.jpg

Very Happy Hugs are always nice. Especially given by a cat! :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 11:24 am
Yes, it's the small things.

But seriously! I have come to feel that I am like a tree; I can just be there without having to justify my existence.

I would, however--or my ego would--like to leave some powerful paintings for posterity, sort of like footprints to mark my passing through.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 01:55 pm
Yup, everybody would like to be noticed in some way and know that their life mattered to somebody.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 02:09 pm
I failed at becoming a world class rock star...

I failed Algebra I.... twice.....

I have failed at getting squinney to do a threesome with another girl......... so far......
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 02:42 pm
Reyn, you mean "and know that their life mattered to somebody [ELSE, besides themselves]"?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 03:03 pm
I hope nobody on here tells us Life is like a box of chocolates - Oops.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 03:06 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Reyn, you mean "and know that their life mattered to somebody [ELSE, besides themselves]"?

Yes. Most folks would like others to have remembered them, of course, but that's not the most important thing.

It is a lonely existence if no one will miss you.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 03:07 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I hope nobody on here tells us Life is like a box of chocolates - Oops.

Chocolates? I thought it was Jelly Babies. Shocked
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 03:26 pm
I no longer care about not having a melodious singing voice. I accept that I have irrational rages. I'm even getting to the point where I realize that my faults are apparent to those who know me--and that I don't particularly care.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 03:32 pm
We just came home from the Veterans Cemetary, where my wife's father is buried. He served in the Army Air Force to rate a slot at that beautiful resting place. For over twenty tears we have been visiting and placing flowers on his grave. After we can no longer manage to get out there, it doesn't mean all traces of him will have vanished. He left five children and a growing number of grandchildren and great grandchildren. He may not have people clammoring to make his birthday a holiday, or to put his image on a stamp, but he is in our book not a failure in any way.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 04:05 pm
I believe one way one can measure your life is how you interact with those closest to yourself.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 05:21 pm
I wonder what Vivien would say about your success in that respect. From what I know of you, I'd bet you are an excellent companion.

((((HUGS))))
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 05:23 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I no longer care about not having a melodious singing voice. I accept that I have irrational rages. I'm even getting to the point where I realize that my faults are apparent to those who know me--and that I don't particularly care.

I love you for this, Noddy!

I am caring less and less, too, the older I get. It's great, isn't it?! So freeing.....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 05:30 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I failed to climb Mt. Everest and missed the North Pole by twenty miles, and I failed my audition for the first violin section of the Boston Symphony. I feel like such a failure.

(Did you actually hike Everest and not go all the way, or did you never go there?)

Wow! You are EXTREMELY accomplished in my book! I would have written your entry thusly: "I have mountain-climbed on Everest, gone on an Antarctic exploration, and auditioned for the Boston Symphony."

I haven't managed to do ANY of those things! How can I live with myself?! :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 05:59 pm
Eva, don't be careless: Antartica is the location of the SOUTH Pole.
Actually, in the interest of full disclosure, I never did ANY of those things. I've done SOME things, but I am too wonderfully modest to mention them.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 07:37 pm
Oops. You're right, I should have said Arctic.

Thank you for admitting you haven't really done those things. I feel much less intimidated now. So...what HAVE you done?

Modesty is highly overrated, JLN. And it will get you nowhere. Especially around here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 07:45 pm
http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/xl/images/3232071.jpg

My old Navy pal from Michigan studied Marine Biology when he first left the service. He studied for a time in Hawaii. We lost contact for a few years. By the time we reconnected, he was a dentist. Very successful, preparing to retire in about a year. One of his pet projects is an airplane, which he is assembling in the basement.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 07:45 pm
Tales of personal failures you want, edgar? Oh, I have many, many tales ... far too many to recount here! One that comes to mind was trying to learn to ski on school camp. Pathetic! Total lack of coordination! Embarrassed
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 07:46 pm
But, you have the thrill of experience, the growing in other directions.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 03:20:46