Year-old mulch?

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:20 pm
I have one bag of mulch left over from last year. It's been in the garage. Can I use it, or do I have to worry about bad moldy fungusy sorts of problems?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,236 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 02:13 pm
It should be fine unless there is visable mold growing on it in the bag. I'd open it up, spread it out on a plastic tarp and let it dry out before using it though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 02:15 pm
I'd use it. When it breaks down, call it humus. If you really want longevity, consumers reports just did a write up on rubber mulch. It looks like bark, and they like it.

I've used finely ground bark mulch in the soil to loosen up heavy clays, which might not be one of your problems. Anyway, it lasts longer than peat, and doesn't fluff up to deceive you about the volumn.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 02:19 pm
I saw a link to that rubber mulch - sounded good, oh, think, a good way to get those tire heaps diminshed... except that the idea turns me off.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 02:28 pm
Me too, but you gotta do something with the stuff.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:53 pm
I don't like the idea of it, either. I'm sticking with something more organic.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 04:18 pm
The problem with rubber is you can't put organic in your garden, unless you scrape off all the rubber and reapply it. I prefer grass clippings and mulched leaves.

I also go up to the Univ. of Md. and get some horse manure.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 02:21 pm
Let's let commercial enterprises use the rubber mulch and stick to regular mulch at home.

Around these parts the zoo fundraises by selling Zoo Doo, which is composted "waste" from the appropriate denizens...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 05:40 pm
Ah, really? I should check out if the Albuquerque zoo does that..

Well, actually, I should check out the zoo in the first place. I've been here three months now and not been to the zoo yet.
0 Replies