Snail or pleicostomus?

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 10:24 pm
Howdy.

A question: Which would be better to put into my office betta jar (containing rocks and ferny greens--a homey environment) for a few days--my big golden apple snail or my good-sized pleicostomus? (Is pleico spelled right???)

The betta might not welcome either one, but I think he might be OK with it for a few days.

I want it to eat up the plant matter and crud that has settled to the bottom. The plants have worked hard to set roots and pull themselves down to the bottom. If I clean out the jar (capacity about 1.5 quarts) they will have to start over. The water is really fresh and good quality, but there's just plant matter on the bottom that needs cleaning up.

So at home I have the big snail (ping-pong ball sized) and a pleico about 4-5 inches. I'm afraid it would be harder on the pleico and I've never seen it eating off the bottom of the tank it's in. So maybe the snail? I would put nylon netting over the top so it doesn't escape, since I have read on the net the golden apples are amphibious and I don't want it crawling around my office.

Any advice on this greatly appreciated. Rolling Eyes

Sally
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,947 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Jim

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:18 am
I've never heard of a golden apple snail. In the past I've just had the regular aquarium snails the size of a large pea. They worked well keeping the algae off the glass, but after a while they begin to reproduce, and will soon take over your tank unless you start culling them out. As for a pleicostomus, I don't know if a beta jar would have enough oxygen for one to live.

For uneaten food at the bottom of the tank I've had good luck with khoolie loaches (spelling almost certainly wrong), but once again, they may not get enough oxygen in a beta jar.

I don't remember exactly what it was called, but we bought a plastic siphon device to suck up unwanted matter from above the gravel in our tank (29 gallons). It worked pretty well.

Please let us know what you decide on doing, and how it worked, and good luck.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:45 am
It might be better to buy a simple turkey baster and just use that light suction to clean out the visable junk.

A snail moves slowly, and the betta fish are aggressive. I can see the beta really hurting your snail.
I can also see your snail producing other snails, if it is the a-sexual kind, and leaving your little tank infested.

A pleco would stand up to a bettas attacks because thier bodies are very hard and have sharp places. The betta will try to bite once or twice and that will be it.
But your pleco, if still that small, may not survive the tank change like that.
As babies they are much more delicate and have a harder time with environment changes, then they do when they are a foot long.

But, if putting another fish in there is the best choice, go with your pleco.

Make sure that you introduce the placo slowly to the water. About an hour or 2 .
Put him in a plastic bag and float him on the top of the betta tank, adding a little water from the tank to his bag every few minutes for about an hour.
If he seems ok, go ahead and dump him in.

If you see problems , stop , and get him to his regular home as quick as possible.

good luck
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:45 am
Thank you both very much! I will ponder removing crud mechanically versus biologically. Excellent advice.

From what you say, Jim, I'm glad the snail is not reproducing! This thing is honking big. And it's fast. This web picture looks exactly like the snail and the snail is two-thirds the picture's size. http://www.applesnail.net/

The spikes on the pleico would be protective, which is a plus. It's about an inch shy in length from this response screen, left to right. Big for the jar, I fear.

And of course a turkey baster or aquarium siphon (I have one somewhere) makes perfect sense. A battle of right brain v left. Smile

Will check out the loach scene.

Thanks again. Will report outcomes.

What does Mr. Green stand for?

Mr. Green

-Sal
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:01 pm
if your betta is in a natural tank, i wouldnt go with a big suction. That would break up the roots of the plants.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:00 pm
I can't help you with your question, but I love your username!!!
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 10:49 pm
Hm. A surprise development.

I took the snail, thinking it would adapt to small space better than the pleico. It moved around the bowl and did some feeding on the bottom, where I did not expect the pleico to go.

But then I noticed it no longer had long whisker/antennae things. It appears the betta bit them off. If you saw that picture on the link I posted, a characterizing snail feature was its mega-long feelers. Gone. Now stumps. I hope that wasn't a mortal wound. Brought it home again. It was feeling around with a big long thing I think is a reproductive organ or snorkel. (We feels around with what we gots.) Confused

Yes, it's a natural tank and the plants went to some trouble rooting themselves, but maybe I could suck the dead plant stuff out with a baster, else get a small pleico to live there. The spikes surely would deter a betta, as shewolf pointed out.

-Sal
p.s. to littlek: I actually got permission from a zoo somewhere to let me use their photo for my avatar. Their webmaster seemed entertained by the finished product. Smile -s
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 11:07 pm
I looked up Plecos. You don't need a big one, it'd probably just outgrow your tank. There are a variety of smaller sized plecos. These would be the clown plecos, zebra plecos, bristlenose, scarlet and mango plecos..... Here's a good webpage with unfortunate background color:

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/pleco.htm
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 11:30 pm
Thanks, littlek! Funny how one thing leads to another and pretty soon there's much to learn and enjoy. Beats just changing the water. Laughing -s
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:43 am
Thanks for the update, and I hope your snail has a speedy recovery.
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:49 am
Thanks, Jim and others for your good ideas and info. The snail seems to be doing fine. I'm marking my calendar to see how long it takes to regenerate the feelers, assuming that will happen.

Sally
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:55 am
if you need a fish to eat waste, and not just algae, you could also get a Cory catfish.

not very attractive, no, but they are great tank cleaners.
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:04 am
Thanks. Will consider a Cory. I read on a site this morning there was "no such thing as a non-aggressive betta," but could test another species.

Maybe attaching weights to the plants would keep them from having to re-root after water changes. The betta enjoys lurking among the plants, but some parts fall off and rot. Smile

Sal
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:08 am
Bettas don't need much room. Scoop him and some water out of his tank and set him to one side. Clean out what you can with the turkey baster without disturbing the plants. Put the snail, or whatever cleaner fish, in there for long enough to eat the plant rubbish. When the tank's reasonable, take the snail out and put the betta back... I know it's a lot of moving around, but it would seem better than losing body parts!
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 12:50 pm
An excellent suggestion. Very Happy

Thanks!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:23 pm
you can also line the bottom of the tank with rocks.
This will keep your plant roots safe, make using the turkey baster EASIER and you wont have to worry about pulling on roots when you change the water.
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 09:52 am
The cleanup is underway ala holding tank, cleaner critter, and baster. It has rocks, but I can anchor more ingeniously. Thank you all!

I'm not experienced at this but now greatly enriched by your input.

Very Happy

Sal
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 11:12 pm
Strange outcomes, my dearies!

I put the snail in the vazz with the betta, who promptly bit off its feeler things. (I think I reported this already). So I took out betta, added snail alone long ago (2 weeks) but he ate up all the plants and left the sludge plant matter I wanted him to eat.

So I had to clean the jar the old-fashioned way. *sigh* And bought new plants.

The betta was delighted to be returned to his green home. I feel sorry for bettas living in water only with a plastic plant--if even--or in those jars with roots (which they apparently don't like to eat). They seem to just lie still as mine did when he was in the spare jar. Returned to the big jar with plants and food pellets, mine made many bubbles right away and has a fine time slinking around in the weeds.

I finally just got weights to weight down the plants. Not worth it to do the natural thing. Betta is happy; snail has now grown new feelers.

End of adventure. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. -Sal
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:48 am
Quote:
mine made many bubbles right away and has a fine time slinking around in the weeds.

Tiny bubbles made by male betas is a sign of being ready to mate.

Male bettas will make bubble nests to attract females to lay eggs.
After the female has laid the eggs, he scares her away, fertilizes them and puts them into the bubble nest.
There he stands guard until they hatch.

In nature, the male will then eat the babies in hopes to re-attract another female. ( if I am remembering correctly.. either that or the chase them away.. one of the two )

In breeding tanks, the male would be removed and the babies allowed to live.

Making a bubble nest is also a sign of a healthy environment , and a happy fish. Simply because, if the conditions are not good, the male wont invite a female to his section of the water.

Bettas usually live in the rice fields of asia.

hundreds of acres of low lying water.
They take about 3 square feet and make that 'their' property, but roam every where.
They pick only the best conditions to create their bubble nest..

hehe.. so take that as a compliment. ;-)
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:18 am
Hey, thanks, Shewolf! Yep. I feel bubble-complimented.

"Bubba" (the betta) seems to have good eyesight. He stares at me regularly and seems to know whether it's me or someone else looking back at him.

-Sally Laughing
0 Replies