High Definition DVD is on Its Way!

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 06:18 am
Good news for all you high tech movie lovers. Looks like the DVD is not the end all in home entertainment. Look what is in the works!

[quote]High-definition DVD on the way
Mon Apr 28, 8:00 AM ET

Mike Snider USA TODAY

Even as the public's love affair with the DVD blossoms, the tech world is hard at work in the lab creating the next generation of high-definition disc.

With 56.5 million DVD players sold since 1997, it's not too early for engineers to work on a successor. It took about three years to develop DVD, and new players and prerecorded discs probably won't arrive in final form for at least three years.

Don't panic; any future player also will handle the discs you buy today. But just as DVDs are of higher quality than TV, digital TV and high-definition programming have leapfrogged the quality of DVD. And as sales increase for digital TV sets, capable of displaying video two to three times better than that of DVD, the industry is wrangling over ways to keep up.

''The good news is, Hollywood is not trying to cheat consumers. The studios, artists and directors really want to get the home theater experience as good as possible,'' says Richard Doherty of consulting firm The Envisioneering Group. ''As good as DVD was over VHS, high-definition (discs) will be an even higher jump in image quality.''

Beyond better video, HD-DVD discs may hold seven-channel soundtracks and more interactive bonuses, such as automatic software that, through a Net-linked home entertainment server, could connect online for additional language soundtracks and live chats with filmmakers and actors. ''Those are the kinds of areas we're working on in defining the format,'' says Erin Sullivan, with Panasonic's entertainment technology laboratory in Hollywood.

Most companies involved are skittish about discussing next-generation discs for fear of confusing consumers and derailing DVD. But about two years into the discussions, several systems are competing to become the standard:

* The Blu-ray Disc, supported by nine major makers, including Sony, Panasonic, Philips and Pioneer, could store up to 50 GB of data (more than six times the data capacity of today's DVD) by using a blue laser beam instead of the current red laser. Blu-ray recorders and players could play current DVDs, but Blu-ray discs could not be played on current players.

* Advanced Optical Disc, a second blue-laser system proposed by NEC and Toshiba, brings disc capacity to 20 GB. One advantage touted by backers: Today's DVD-making equipment could easily be modified for the new discs.

* HD-DVD-9, based on the current DVD format, uses improved software compression to pack 135 minutes of HD video onto the disc. It was developed by Warner Bros.

A format decision is expected by the end of the year. But that hasn't kept the technology from peeking out early: Sony released a Blu-ray DVD recorder in Japan earlier this month for about $3,800. HDTV is more prevalent there, and viewers increasingly want to time-shift high-definition programs.

With DVD, prerecorded discs and players hit stores first; DVD recorders are just starting to reach the mass market. Today, DVD players start at as little as $50; recordable drives for PCs can be found for $300; stand-alone recorders sell for about $600.

[/quote]

Would a high definition DVD be something that you would want? Would you make the upgrades to your TV, in order to enjoy the new technology to the fullest?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,857 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:18 pm
Phoenix, We have Comcast digital cable, and we're very happy with the quality of our picture. We also have HDTV, so even non-HDTV programs look pretty good. Comparing the t.v. picture to the photos on our wall behind the t.v., they're comparable - with the t.v. screen being much bigger, it's a no contest comparison. c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 06:52 am
I had a major failure with my Mitsubishi big screen (it was eight years old anyway) and took the plunge with a more appropriate sized 42" rear projection wide screen HDTV, also Mitsubishi. I am having the Time Warner Cable box installed which delivers an HDTV picture and programming guide. The next steps is, of course, a HD DVD player when they arrive so thanks, Phoenix. I'm wondering just how much they can get on a disc since there's three times the digital data required so that's amazing that they can compress 135 minutes. However, I wonder if that means some sacrifice of the total resolution of true HDTV? I know rear projection screens lose about 20% of the resolution due to dispersion of the pixels (except the set I bought does not have the fresnel lens, meaning the viewing angle is more confined. Compared to the plasma, there is a visual difference (the plasma being superior, of course). But for $2,000.00 more, I wasn't impressed. I was considering the Sony 40" direct tube but it's only comes in the old square picture, producing those dang letterbox black bands at the top and bottom. It was comparable to the plasma, though.
0 Replies

Brian

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 05:29 am
The real issue here is that filmmakers shoot their films on film with film cameras, no HD cameras. What that means if the best resoultion you'll get with HD DVD is the quality of the original film, which is not HD. So what you'll see is a negligible difference between HD DVD's and Standard Def DVD's. Of course the more HD we see in consumer electronics the more producers start to think about originating their material in HD to start with. But filmmakers are an odd bunch and there is something to be said for the "look" of film. I'm excited about it for the data storage capacity. Being able to backup the entire contents of your hard drive on a a single disc is awesome. Once they become re-writable, you'll have backup devices that can backup your hard drive every day automatically, using the same disk.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 08:39 am
That's true to an extent, Brian. The last "Star Wars" film was shot in HD digital and some theaters were showing it in the digital projection. However, standard 70mm film still has higher definition than the around 450 lines of DVD. You will notice the difference (I've watched a few films on HBO which are HD and it is better than DVD), especially if a print used is 70mm or IMAX. Microsoft XP backs up your hard drive and although you would lose any data other than the OS if it were to crash, you can boot up and reclaim the XP OS. You are correct that storing that data on a backup disc is great news.

One thing that many of the broadcasters are doing is shrinking the picture with a black border around all four sides or still letterboxing so that expanding it to a 16:9 screen stretches the image up and down. Why are they doing this? I suspect to save on bandwidth. That also means they aren't using all 1080 dpi resolution.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 01:58 pm
hd dvd won't be around for a while unless you count wmv encoded dvd's like the new edition of terminator 2.

dvd's just don't have enough space for hd content. already i'm seeing increasing numbers of 2 dvd sets. and wmv is a microsoft format so it's not going to be embraced by any standards organization. not to mention that wmv doesn't support dts audio and requires almost ridiculous amounts of computing power to decode.

hd dvd's will have to wait until blue-ray dvd is available which don't be soon.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 02:36 pm
yeman, WELCOME to A2K. c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 05:28 pm
I agree that it will be a bit of time before we see blue ray players in the U.S. Sony has slated release for one in Japan (they already have a recorder on the market at $3800.!) before the end of the year. However, HDTV is far ahead of the first inkling that the US was going to pick up the format -- originally the prediction was 2005 before the first sets were availabe, let along the programming. Like I said, the over cable and satellite programming is meager, the major networks only broadcasting a true HD image on a few shows and movies (decided to watch "The Mark of Zorro" when CBS broadcast it in HDTV and it was as good as a film projection in a good theater). Also, there's no standard -- "The Mark of Zorro" was still letterboxed, not fitting the TV wide screen ratio and, of course, not utilizing all 1080 lines of a fully capable HDTV screen. I couldn't guess whether they were presenting the original theatrical ratio on purpose or were simply saving bandwidth. Probably a little of both.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:42 pm
thank c.i.

i would also think that the dvd standards body would want to come up with a new encryption scheme for hd dvd. dvd encryption has already been broken. and that can take a very long time. or maybe they just won't license blue-ray technology to computer hardware manufacturers. keeping it a standalone product only.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 06:02 pm
The industry wants to deliver HDTV -- people will lull in buying the sets if the programming including DVD is not put on the market. I think SONY being one of the leaders of new technology will get this pressured through ASAP. At least, I'm not replacing my VHS of "2001" until it's in HD DVD.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 04:32 pm
Samsung's HD 931 will deliver a full 1080dp to computer screen with the proper connection and can be inputed into one's DVI input or a component input on a big screen digital TV. But what it's really doing is converting the 480 to 720 or 1080. The picture quality isn't much different than a good progressive scan DVD player and, as a matter of fact, doesn't look the same as utilitzing the line doubling available with nearly all HD TV's. Beware of this product as Samsung techs will conveniently ignore that it won't work the way it looks on the surface specs. It does mean that it looks like it won't be all that long before true HD DVD is on the market. I'm going to stick my neck out and say by Christmas 2004.
0 Replies