Good thing hair grows....

George

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 07:40 am
shewolfnm wrote:
..." see, when you stretch it out, it is still long"...

I'll have to remember that.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 07:47 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Short hair can be sexy, I agree.
Wasn't Janine Turner cute with her short cut in Northern Exposure?

http://www.janineturner.com/photoimages/1/large/13.JPG

I dont think its the hair...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 07:51 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I had that happen to me too once Soz.

Then the stylist had the NERVE to pull my hair straight.. really hard.. and said

" see, when you stretch it out, it is still long"

wtf?

>gr<

That's hilarious.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 08:32 am
Yeah, they like to do that with curly hair.

I remember growing my hair out in highschool for 3 years, then deciding I wanted some long layers. Mom took me to her beloved stylist who didn't listen to me and chopped all my hair off at chin level, saying, "This is going to be SO cute!" I was so horrified I couldn't even wait to cry 'til we left. I ran to their bathroom and sobbed for at least 10 minutes. Apparently everyone in the salon heard me.

It took me five years after that before I would venture back into a salon.

I'm sorry, Chai. Any chance you could do extensions until it grows out?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:39 pm
Yeah, they so like to do that with curly hair. As if the hair will actually ever be straight. I can recall getting bangs that sprung up to my scalp no matter what I did, bc the hairdresser was pretending like my hair would stay straight. Jerk girl.

I remember my last bad haircut and it made me look like a dumpster-girl. It was too short, no style except hacked and disease-looking, and I couldn't fix it even with snips of my own or dying. No headbands, hair glue, props helped. Nothing. That was when I started wearing dew rags and hats. It was a waiting game pretty much.

Sorry to hear it Chai, it sounds like you are used to having beautiful hair. I think it's a little easier for us who have hair that is insane by nature to deal with stuff like this. The good hair cuts are lucky breaks. :wink:
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:35 pm
Hairdressers are trained to do two things; the first is to cut hair and the other is to generate repeat business. This means, to me, that my hair will be cut too short (dragging on the ground is the Unachievable Ideal here, so any shorter is too short), and I'll have to go back and let the stylist do it again and charge me for it in six weeks (or else look like a horror). So I trim it myself every few months and call it good.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:56 pm
Oh, it IS possible to find stylists that will do what you tell them. You just have to ask around a lot. The girl who has cut my hair for 15 years is one. I won't go anywhere else!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:58 pm
Of course hairdressers want repeat business....most either own their own business or rent their station from a salon...the good ones are basically in business for themselves.

Repeat business definately does not mean cutting hair too short.

In the case of women, it means making the woman feel beautiful about themselves...this means listening to her and taking the time to see what her goals as far as how she wants to look. Then, cut the hair so it comes at least close to that goal.

I made a mistake going to this person, one I won't make again. I don't have to "go back" and let this person do the same thing again.

The deal is I had a really good hairdresser for years, like since 1998....she knew me and my personality, we'd try different things...and she had no problem telling me something wouldn't work for me, and wasn't going to do it. That's the kind of person who gets repeat business.

Now, she's too far away to get to with my schedule. What I'm going to need to do is what I think anyone should do to find a good stylist...Next time you see someone with the type of hair you have, and looks really good, find out where she goes, get her name, and mention it to the stylist.

I'm not vain, but in the same way that I'd rather own 2 good pairs of shoes than 10 pairs from Payless, I'm going to look for the best I can get.

Wy...Why in the world would you go back to someone who cut your hair too short? Learn the lesson from that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:59 pm
So Eva...who does your hair?

oh, you're in Oklahoma....a little too far for me.

shoot.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:07 pm
I have a flowbie you can borrow..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:09 pm
actually..
I saw a picture in a magazine today that made me think of you.

There is this really sexy hair style that has the just been screwed up tight look to it.

It is called a half bun. And it is literally just that.
The top half of your head is done in a bun.

A line that starts just above the ears , and the bun is up a little higher then normal buns, with scattered hairs left out.

The bottom is left to dangle and with a few curls in it, makes a woman look like she just had to run from her latest 'fling' in fear of getting caught..
hehe

( can you tell I liked it??? )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:15 pm
Sooo, this is one of my favorite subjects. Apparently the way I like my hair cut is impossible. I've cottoned on to why, which is that there is a uplift pull maneuver they all do where they hoist the hair of a certain region up and then cut straight across. This gives a mild angle at the ends as the hair is dropped back down again.

That is not enough of an angle for me, and it has taken me all these years to figure out why they are f/king up. Almost every time I go home and angle it more myself, a procedure that fails as I get toward the back of my head.

The times I don't go home and fix it, I get someone else to cut it. This is much of why I keep my hair sort of long for a woman of my age, cough.

Just about a week ago I found someone I think I can work with. She got what I wanted in about thirty seconds. Did an A- job, the minus part not being discernable for a couple of days. But she's smart. Her name is Nancy. If you're in Albuquerque, call me. She's at Supercuts. They are trained to listen to you, that is, they try to. None of this Master helping the debutante or matron thing.

Supercuts is a cheap place. Some of my worst haircuts have been from high end salons.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:24 pm
I agree, osso. Besides, they're often snooty. Why should I give my money to people who look down their noses at me?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:33 pm
The other best person to cut my hair was at Mastercuts, another chain that seems to me similar to Supercuts.
He actually cut it right once; that was about three years ago. He told me the cut was called a graduated bob. Next time I asked for that, and he did it the direct opposite of the previous cut. Took several months for that one to grow out.

Hats! Hats are good...

Also, earrings. They're distracting, at least to ourselves.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:45 pm
you are right osso...Robbie, my stylist wasn't expensive, but was good. I guess when I compare a hair cut to good shoes, I'm talking about the quality.

I can't believe you said f/king.

Yeah shewolf, that sounds nice...the last couple cuts I got from Robbie, we were starting to do that thing where it was shorter in the back, getting longer in the front. Seemed like it was the thing to do....problem is, it's great for putting your hair up, but when I wore it down, I don't know, it was too serious....

I've got a serious face and plumpitude of the body, so serious hair...uh uh.

I'm going to go back to where I can roll in in hot rollers if I want and shake it out.

osso...I don't think it's necessary for a woman of a certain age has to have short hair. I mean, I can't think of too many women who could get away with sit on the ass hair (don't like that anyway), but shoulder length or a little below can be pulled off...that's where the attitude comes in....and we are women of A2K! We Have The Attitude!!!

Flowbee

http://web.mouser.org/projects/oldweb/1996/images/flowbee.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:46 pm
a good pair of chandelier chandAlier? earrings

distract from almost anything..

I have hundreds.. just for that reason. ha

The best stylist I have found in the entire world, is at cost cutters.
and for much the same reasons as Osso said, I too am very picky.

This woman is at cost cutters off of south lamar.. close to 71.
In the shopping center where Mervyns used to be??
just in case you ever want to see her chai.. hehe

Any way. I found her when my hair was still to my knees.
I never ever let anyone cut my hair because I was always told that , in order to keep it healthy, I had to cut off at least 6 inches every few months.
******** that.

But , I was too pregnant to keep it brushed , because it was painfull to move, and cutting the ends was getting out of the question.

She would spend, sometimes 1/2 hour just trimming the very ends alone.
She would NOT cut into the length, and would check and double check her work to make sure that she got all of my ends.

After Jillian was born, I cut my hair.

I cried.. and cried. But monkey baby was trying to use it as a hammock.

She spent about 10 minutes just talking to me, through my tears, and into the perfect hair style.

I like strangly shaped layers.
I have some really long layers on top of my head, shorter ones around my ears , longer ones at my neck and a few short ones in the back of my head.

Hard to explain, and funny to picture I am sure, but it is no conventional hair cut.

i will stop gabbing about her now.. but.. yeah.. she is worth every cent I could ever give her.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:01 pm
How is your hair, chai? recovered a little from the trauma, I hope?

Trying to find a good hairstyle is the most impossible thing. That one I got that I posted a pic of a while back? I thought I had found The Style. The one I would stick with for years and years, until everyone was sick of it and begged me to change it, and I'd STILL keep it cause I loved it so much.

Well, guess what, it never looked like that again. It pisses me off so much-- I tell the haircut chick, my hair is frizzy and poofy, I don't know that I'll be able to make this cut work. "Oh, no, it's fine..." Uh-huh. Of course, it turns out I'm right and the next day it was too frickin poofy to do anything with and the layers just make it more uncontrollable...grrrr....

I wish I lived in Austin so I could go to shewolf's lady. Me and Chai could go together...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:03 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I can't believe you said f/king.

osso...I don't think it's necessary for a woman of a certain age has to have short hair. I mean, I can't think of too many women who could get away with sit on the ass hair (don't like that anyway),

Who me? it is one of my main adjectives and verbs. Perhaps I am more temperate online.

On the hair, I do know one woman of 60 or so with a horsetail of grey/white hair down to her butt that pleases her and her husband. Personally I think her life would be lighter if she cut it, but that hair is clearly important to both of them.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:09 pm
I have seen some really sexy looking women , over the age of 50 with long hair.

I mean sit on it length.

but very few can pull it off to where it doesnt look like a desperate attempt at keeping the long gone 20's alive.

or am i too young to make that statement?

( wow.. you DID say fuk... ) that has to be a first in print..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:12 pm
Osso says that all the time. (Doesn't she?) She ain't all propah.

I do love the long gray hair look, especially on women with darker skin. I hope to do that, dunno when my hair will go gray. (My skin's not that dark, but not pale either, olive-toned.)

I find medium-length hair to be less maintenance than anything else. REALLY long hair and it gets annoying (I've had sit-on-it-length hair, it's OK but gets in the way too much), and a short cut needs more attention; even if it's all in the cut and not about the products that a lot of short styles need, you still need to maintain the cut on some schedule.

I've had mine about mid-back for a while now, I like that length. Wash, air dry, simple. Wear it in a ponytail and forget it. Heavy enough that sleeping on it weird or whatever doesn't do anything in particular. I cut it once a year or so. I definitely fussed over my hair more when it was short.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 08:20:45