2 Dogs + Elk Carcass = Story of the Month

PDiddie

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:39 pm
What do you do when your two large dogs climb inside an elk carcass and take up residence, occasionally efforting to eat their way out? Be sure you keep clicking through to the end of the story, some of which I'll post here:

Quote:
So what we did was put the ribcages (containing dogs) on tarps and drag them around to the side yard, where I figured they would at least be harder to see, and then opened my bedroom window so that the dogs could let me know when they were ready to be plunged into a de-elking solution and let in the house. Then I went to the airport. Came home, no visible elk, no visible dogs. Peeked around the shrubs, and there they were, still in the elk. By this time, they had gnawed out some little portholes between some of the ribs, and you got the occasional very frightening glimpse of something moving around in there if you watched long enough.

2 Dogs and an Elk Carcass
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,365 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:55 pm
Good lord.

I say she should cancel getting company to come over and concentrate on the problem at hand. A bigger diversion is in order, like another elk carcass or the like.

Yick.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:07 pm
PDiddie, that has to be one of the funniest things I've ever read!! You were right to encourage people to continue scrolling down. I read several pages before realizing that I needed to get busy.

The woman relating the story, Anne V., is wonderful with her rather dry way of telling the story, taking everything in stride.

The thing is, anyone who has owned a dog, knows what a treasure those dogs must have thought they had. No wonder they wouldn't come out.

Throwing the carcass over the fence and scaring the sheriff. Too funny!

I'll be laughing for the rest of the night.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:20 pm
That lady is histerical! After the carcass posts she gives advice to another dog owner about a dog who barks at night: "My suggestion, no matter where she sleeps, would be to tire her out before you go to bed. Which means put a leash on her and send her on a long hike with a kid or spouse."
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 09:32 am
This was classic:

Quote:
Anne V:

I am in New Mexico, but there are elk in both arizona and nevada, yes. There are elk all over the damn place.

They don't look out very often. If you stand the ribcage on end they scramble to the top and look out, all red. Otherwise, you kinda have to get in there a little bit yourself to really see them. So I think there will not be pictures.

-----------------------------------------------

CoseyMo:

"all red." I'm not sure the deeper horror of all this was fully borne in upon me till I saw that little phrase.

It's been a long time since I had dogs (I'm a confirmed urbanite now) but I do still remember what two or three of them were like when they had possession of a carcass.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 06:35 pm
Here is her reply to a question of where her dogs are in relation to the elk carcass:

Anne V
They're inside of it. They crawled inside, and now I have a giant incredibly heavy piece of carcass in my yard, with 2 dogs inside of it, and they are NOT getting bored of it and coming out. One of them is snoring. I have company arriving in three hours, and my current plan is to 1. put up a tent over said carcass and 2. hang thousands of fly strips inside it. This has been going on since about 6:40 this morning.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 06:36 pm
I think this woman should get some kind of award for equanimity above and beyond the call of duty.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 08:01 am
I decided to add a cat story to this dog story rather than start a new thread.

(I should also preface this next by saying that I myself and my beautiful wife have no children, no pets, no aquarium, and no houseplants. Which is perhaps why I take such schadenfreude in the tribulations of others'.)

Chapter One:

Quote:
I'm posting earlier than usual this morning, because we've had an unusual night. Last night, our cat Zoey started getting extremely agitated and kept going to the litter box but couldn't complete the transaction, if you will. At 3:00 AM, K ended up taking the cat to our local emergency hospital, where poor Zoey underwent emergency surgery for a urinary blockage.

And since the emergency hospital closes its doors at 8:00 AM, I was up at 7:00 and heading off to pick up our catheterized kitty. Then off to the animal hospital, where Zoey will be for the next couple of days to make sure all is well.

And another thing we learned last night - what we thought was a female cat turns out to be a castrated male. So now we're the proud owners of a catheterized, gender-confused cat who gets to live it up for 2 more days at the animal hospital. The things we do for our pets.

Chapter Two:

Quote:
Welp, our cat got released from the animal hospital today, and K and I (and our dog) are all damned happy to have him or her home (we refer to Zoey as 'her' half the time and 'him' the other half). Here's how things stand in the world of Zoey the cat and the people she lets live in Casa Zoey:

Zoey now sports a shaved front left leg, with a bandage that she's been trying to chew off ever since her arrival at home. The leg looks suspiciously like that of a French Poodle (or Freedom Poodle, if you must), and K noticed that the color of her skin under the fur matches our living room couch perfectly.

Her butt has been shaved as well, which I didn't even notice until after a couple of hours. The sight of naked kitty butt is shocking to say the least.

The nice veterinarian supplied us with 10 cans of cat food that is supposed to balance the acid/alkaline of her urine, which was the reason this whole saga took place. The dog has decided that the ph-balacing cat food is just about the yummiest thing she's ever tasted.

And Zoey, in an effort to keep her from gnawing off the bandage on her shaved leg, or biting the stitches out from around her penis (okay, I'm dizzy now), is now wearing a clear plastic collar that makes her look like a sattelite dish with a cat head stuck in the middle of it.

To top it all off, she's got a couple of weeks' supply of antibiotics and pain-killers which we spent the better part of a half-hour trying to get her to swallow, until we realized that we could wrap them in blobs of the ph-balacing kitty food and she'd eat them without a problem. I'd never experienced the joys of feeding pills to cats before today. Now I can die happy.

As a result of the drugs, she's wandering around the house with a glazed look in her eyes, bumping into furniture and us with the edges of her kitty sattelite dish headpiece. K and I spend our time stifling our laughter, because everybody knows that you really **** up a cat's self-esteem if they catch you laughing at them.

So let me just thank everyone who sent emails and posted comments wishing Zoey well. She's doing fine, for a drugged-up, partially-shaved, plastic collar-wearing cat. And we still love her more than we can possibly put into words. It's good to have that little furball back home with us.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 08:46 am
That is great! I have tears in my eyes, laughing at this...

We have two cats. I think they should go ahead and laugh all they want. No doubt they have already screwed up the cat's self-esteem big time by calling him "her" all these years...ROTFLMAO!
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 09:01 am
2 Dogs + Elk Carcass = Story of the Month
Loved it. Have e-mailed story to family and friends. Thank you!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:29 pm
"The sight of naked kitty butt is shocking to say the least. "
"As a result of the drugs, she's wandering around the house with a glazed look in her eyes, bumping into furniture and us with the edges of her kitty satellite dish headpiece."

Pure comedy! My dog looked like frankenstein's monster after eye surgery and had to wear a cone too. Animals are so funny when drugged up!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:07 pm
My uncle had a dachsund that brought home a deer leg once. He dragged it under the bushes by the house and stayed there, eating it, for several days. When he finally emerged his stomach was literally dragging on the ground.
0 Replies