They're back. The Falcons of Water Street, New York.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 04:02 pm
@Joe Nation,
feeding time again - both parents on deck

something's being dismantled with enormous enthusiasm

it's exponential growth time for young falcons
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 03:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Eat eat eat that all these brats want to do. Today one of the bigger boys just took a piece of something from Mom, dragged it out onto the porch and proceeded to pick it apart himself.
Meanwhile, the littlest one is holding her own, still as white as snow, she pushs her way up to whichever parents is doing the doling and gets her share.

Joe(YES!)Nation  http://falcons.55water.com/news.php
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:35 am
Three big kids out on the porch flapping around, the little kid is still in bed. One of the other went back in and roused her up.
It's good to have an older brother.
Joe(don't miss breakfast, kid!)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:35 am
@Joe Nation,
http://falcons.55water.com/news.php
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:32 pm
@Joe Nation,
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/falcon/recent_news.html The news from Pa is that the little fuzzball is trying tofly. This is waaay too early and the DEP has spotter volunteers and catchers on the street below so the little guy doesnt get run over. Apparently, from the leg band of the falcons, this was a "first time" pair that displaced the usual falcons . Its therefore not unusual for first time females to lay infertile eggs . Its sorta a good thing that she wasnt overqhelmed in testing her mothering skills until she was ready so raising just one is much easier on the pair.
According to the DEP, it may be a precurswor to asomething qwed not seen in recent years, that being a second clutch of weggs from either this pair or another.We will have to wait and see
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 12:54 pm
only one left, the littlest one, and maybe one of her brothers who is presently down in the pit. .....
Joe(Help Ma!)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 05:01 pm
@Joe Nation,
disconcerting to see everyone on deck

then 10 minutes later nobody's home

Shocked

phew

then a couple of them march back up from their wander down the deck
Eva

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 03:43 am
@ehBeth,
That's what it's like, living with teenagers!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 05:25 am
So, how many are left? Or who's left to get their own apartment with their no-good tatooed friend?
Joe(my experience with a teenager)Nation
Eva

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 04:23 pm
@Joe Nation,
There are three birds there right now, but it can be difficult to distinguish between adults and kids at this stage.

I'm guessing, based on their coloring, that the sloppy-looking ones are the kids...that's probably the teenage falcon equivalent of ripped t-shirts and low-rise jeans that show the boxers.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 06:12 pm
@Eva,
One lone girlbird left.....sleeping alone by the edge....

Joe(I'm still with you, girl.)Nation
Eva

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 06:41 pm
@Joe Nation,
Somebody must be bringing food for Pookie. I've seen dead pigeons there a couple of times during the last day or two.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 08:03 am
FOR RENT (SUMMER SEASON)

RFTOP GAZEBO W/PATIO
SPECTAC E RIV VUE
AVAIL IMMED
http://falcons.55water.com/news.php
Owners are presently traveling but have indicated an early Spring re-arrival.

see agent for details

Joe(fly well, kiddos, fly well!)Nation
Eva

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:20 pm
@Joe Nation,
Very cute, J!

Pookie was there yesterday evening along with one of the parents (Mom?), who had brought her a pigeon for dinner. Pookie was stretching and flapping her wings, walking back and forth along the edge while the parent watched. I've checked several times today and nobody seems to be home, so I guess you're right. Today must have been her last day. I hope Pookie is able to catch her own dinner tonight. (And I bet her Mom is thinking the same thing.)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 06:31 pm
Just finished dinner at a sushi restaurant.
Walked to Washington Square Park to wait until the midnight screening of Jaws.

Was feeling A tad too gloomy until I noticed a group looking up... to see Pip flying overhead.

Good medicine to see two of the three birds of prey in the area just flying around.

Sorry but I didn't bring my camera with me today.
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
well, the Pa state falcons , nesting on the ENvironmental Protection HQ building, have returned and have deposited one egg as of today. SO the nesting season is officially onhttp://www.pacast.com/players/falcon.asp

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:06 pm
@farmerman,
saw news about the PA falcons posted on FB the other day

good news eh
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:36 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks for the heads up.

Checked the site. Saw the egg. It looks oval.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 08:15 am
Nothing doing in NYC, at least I cannot get the camera to cam.

Joe(Icam,youcam,Alabam)Nation
Eva

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 05:15 pm
@Joe Nation,
Actually, I checked on it last night (great minds, huh?) and the camera was on. It was too dark to see much, but a large bird was wandering around & flapping wings inside the roofed nesting area. Camera is off again today.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:44:01