A question for the English

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:29 pm
I was reading an article today about the fox population in England and especially around London. If I recall correctly, the article said there were appoximately 10,000 red foxes living in London alone and 25,000 in the immediate area. It seems most of the English people are quite enamored with the creatures -- 87% of those polled said they enjoyed seeing them, while something like 10% considered them pests and want them eradicated and the remaining 3% were in that group that has no idea what the hell is going on.

I found it interesting that there were that many foxes over there. The article said the main reason they flourish is because there is no competition from the raccoon, which isn't found in England. The fox thus have all the food from the garbage cans which, like in the States, the raccoons would normally lay claim to.

I would like to hear some stories from the English concerning the perceived fox problem there and where they stand on the issue.

While I am waiting for them to reply, all other readers of this post from other countries may examine this fox skull.....

http://www.digimorph.org/specimens/Vulpes_vulpes/male/specimen.jpg

(My only regret is that I have not the know-how or ability to insert some soothing elevator music to accompany the skull examination)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,004 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:46 pm
We have foxes too you chauvinistic person you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:47 am
Dlowan--

Native or imported? In the States we have both kinds.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:29 am
dlowan wrote:
We have foxes too you chauvinistic person you.

Are you telling me that, for example, Sydney, has a similar situation to London concerning foxes? If that is the case, Ms. Rabbit, then, by all means take the floor.

(This outta be good. What do aussies know?)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:40 pm
Thay were imported...same reason as rabbits ... for nice gentlemen to hunt...and they went nuts over here too.

I don't know about Sydney, but they sure haunt the suburbs here.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:50 pm
Any urban foxes I have seen have been scrawny, miserable-looking creatures.

But then, they're English foxes.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:38 pm
Should I assume they operate on a nocturnal basis? Or are the so brazen as to allow there whereabouts to be known while the sun is high?

And when they yelp is there a distinctive cockney accent?

Over here the fox is a very shy and elusive animal, preferring to move quietly in the shadows, hunting mostly in a crepuscular mode, and killing in a swift, silent fashion, unlike the raccoon who operates in such a manner as to almost gleefully announcing its presence with the banging of garbage can covers and waddling down driveways and skirting alleys, its large waddling body there for all to see.

There are no raccoons in Australia either then? What, with every other strange creature on the planet the raccoon was not quite high enough on the bizarre meter?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 01:50 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Should I assume they operate on a nocturnal basis?

Yes, you should.

Quote:
And when they yelp is there a distinctive cockney accent?

Only discernable to the finely-tuned ear. They can also do different accents to throw the hounds off the scent, so to speak (because American foxes have diplomatic immunity here).
0 Replies