Smokers are dumb

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:13 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I don't really care people smoke, unless they're next to me in a crowded place.

inconsiderate smokers even piss ME off.
Dont smoke at the dinner table
dont smoke when I am eating,
dont smoke in my face
dont smoke close to me

im considerate enough to take my toxic stick outside, i think others should too..
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:23 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
I agree... smoking inside is one of the worst things! It makes me gag. I can't imagine how it must feel for non-smokers. I was really ticked when restaurants stopped having smoking area's at first. Truthfully speaking it was because I didn't feel like getting up to go outside and smoke. Rolling Eyes Then I realized the wonders of eating a meal without someone's second hand smoke floating around your face. ACK!

that's how i stopped. motivation gone. no people smoking around, no reason for me to smoke. hurrah for the smoking ban!

I wish it were that easy for me. Problem is... if I'm going to be honest... I don't really want to THAT bad. Until I do, well I'm up the creek without a paddle I guess. Though, later when I have time I may post the one thing I haven't tried yet that my doctor suggested. I really think it could work if I put just a little effort into it. Tootles...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:32 pm
Well, it was easy for me. I never 'really' smoked. Only socially. With the ban, that was gone, too.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:56 pm
I must say that I am pleasantly surprised at the attitude of folks here who say that they currently smoke, or recently quit.

Here in BC, there has been mostly no indoor smoking for quite some time. This has been mainly due to protecting non-smoking employees in the workplace.

I can remember back to 1980, when my wife was pregnant with our oldest daughter, she had to be hospitalized for about 5 weeks prior to giving birth due to being high-risk.

The ward held 4 beds. My wife was in this room with 3 other pregnant women who were smokers. This was when this was still allowed. When my wife complained about it, the nurses and a doctor told her that the smoke wasn't going to do her or the baby any harm!

Looking back now, it's hard to believe this sort of thing could happen. You wonder how many problems developed as a result of second-hand smoke.

The sadder part about it is that there is a marked increase in people smoking marijuana. The health risks associated with that is at least as bad as smoking tobacco, and, from what I have read, probably much worse.

I've heard local stories that pot has been sold cut with various substances, to make it more addictive. You never know what you're getting.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:59 pm
Didn't read all the thread... I started smoking when I was 16... I did it because everyone else was!

If I hadn't, I'd be a non smoker now!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:12 pm
Reyn wrote:
there is a marked increase in people smoking marijuana. The health risks associated with that is at least as bad as smoking tobacco, and, from what I have read, probably much worse.

Thank you!!!!
I hear it from all sides about smoking being disgusting and how I am obnoxious (I don't disagree with that assumption), but then a second later these same people are rallying for legalizing marijuana!!!!!
It's absolutely ridiculous. Apparently these people are willing to suffer the smoke, smell and toxicity of marijuana-cigarettes because this drug is seen as the good drug and the social and 'apparent' health benefits that come with it. Yeah well, many many years ago the same thing may have been said about tobacco you know! What did people know waay back then? Nothing! We're wishing it had never been made legal, with all the disasterous long-term health effects tobacco, nicotine and the noxious toxic fumes themselves have resulted in. Same thing goes for marijuana. Legalizing something that could be just as bad as smoking tobacco is just plain idiotic. If every country made smoking tobacco illegal, I might just quit for good!

Heph, what was the thing your doctor suggested? Any good?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:19 pm
I think part of the idea with marijuana vs. tobacco, though, is that no valid studies on smoking tobacco ever showed health benefits, while there are valid studies that show the benefits of marijuana.

(I've never smoked either of them, though I've probably inhaled as much second-hand marijuana smoke as cigarette smoke in my time.)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:24 pm
tobacco, before you add all the crap to it, and throw it on a cigarette plug, was used...... ohh geezee..
1800's?

to help people with problems of the lungs.
basically, made it so they could cough harder.

sort of ass-backwards you ask me.
But that is all that it was used for when it came to semi medicinal issues.

Marijuana today is nothing like marijuana 30 , 50, or 100 years ago.

people have altered the plant to have more thc then it normally would. honestly making it more toxic then helpfull.

If marijuana were truly a 'natural' drug/plant today , it might be able to carry the label 'medicinal' with no problem.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:25 pm
(By the way I don't mean, like, "Smoke marijuana and be healthier!!" Just, it seems to have specific, scientifically supported health benefits, such as alleviating nausea [?], that tobacco can't claim.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:28 pm
If it's the THC that has the medicinal value, then increasing the concentration of THC in the plant would decrease the amount you'd have to consume to get a therapeutic dose. Smoke less, get less lung disease.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:30 pm
Okay, I am one of those fools who started smoking after 20. Actually, I was about 20 at the time. As a teen, all (I mean ALL) my friends smoked. The rebellious crowd. Obviously, I hung around them, yet I was the one person to not smoke. The only reason I didn't was because I was obsessed with track and swimming. I didn't want my 'edge' to suffer.

But in my early 20's I was partying a lot. Started smoking when I discovered that a cigarette could make my high from pot last longer. An extra kick.
Also, I got wrapped up in the illusion. It had it's romantic and ritual appeal.

As I tapered off in the other drugs and partying; ciggies were the last survivor. I had a very stressful job where everybody smoked. I was addicted and using it to deal with stress.

I quit a while back, and started just recently again. Stopped again after writing a thread about it. It does suck, and it's gross and expensive. Not so pleasant to kiss either.

Heeven and Reyn: I agree with you. Don't even get me started about marijuana leg. and tobacco leg. here. Laughing This country is a little confused I think.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:30 pm
but-

forcing the plant to unnaturally create more thc, reduces its natural resources and ability to produce 'quality' thc

does that make any sense? or do i need to put down the pipe?
Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:34 pm
actually, let me take my statements back until i can find that information I was reading about afew months ago.

as I am reading right now, I am finding new research that completely blows my ideas and old info out the window..
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:35 pm
Ah, just switch from bud to shake for an afternoon, and you'll be peachy. Or nectariney, depending on taste.

THC is THC is THC...

Now, if those damn biotech geeks would get on the ball and engineer some enzymes to make THC into a retrovirus that would infect human cells, they'd have a damn marketable product. "Gonna get me a viral tetrahydrocannabinoma, yessirree....."
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:36 pm
Ah, just switch from bud to shake for an afternoon, and you'll be peachy. Or nectariney, depending on taste.

THC is THC is THC...

Now, if those damn biotech geeks would get on the ball and engineer some enzymes to make THC into a retrovirus that would infect human cells, they'd have a damn marketable product. "Gonna get me a viral tetrahydrocannabinoma, yessirree....."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:44 pm
flushd wrote:
I quit a while back, and started just recently again. Stopped again after writing a thread about it. It does suck, and it's gross and expensive. Not so pleasant to kiss either.

Are you still quit?

Hurray for you!

How's it going? Still riding the waves :wink:
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:49 pm
riding the waves, baby, riding the waves Laughing

It's getting easier. Still crave tho.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:59 pm
My doctor's advice on how to quit smoking:

He said to first make a list of your "have to's"

You know... with your morning cup of coffee, after a meal, while you are driving, etc...

Then slowly cut yourself down to the point of only smoking your "have to" cigarette's.

Once you have gotten to that point conquer the "have to's" one at a time.

Say first you stop smoking while you are driving. After a week or two of that, you move on to after meals, and so forth.

He said the reason most people have such a difficult time trying to quit is because they try to do it all at once which can be too overwhelming for some people. So, this is the next thing I'm going to try, hopefully.

Maybe it could work for someone else too. Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:10 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
tobacco, before you add all the crap to it, and throw it on a cigarette plug, was used...... ohh geezee..
1800's?...

FYI, tobacco use in Europe was introduced by Sir Francis Drake and popularized by Sir Walter Raleigh, in the late 1500s or early 1600s. See: http://www.who2.com/sirwalterraleigh.html But the alleged medicinal "qualities" go back farther than that.

Check this out: http://www.historian.org/bysubject/tobacco1.htm

A few choice quotes from that link:
Quote:
1560: PORTUGAL, FRANCE: Jean Nicot de Villemain, France's ambassador to Portugal, writes of tobacco's medicinal properties, describing it as a panacea. ...

1566: FRANCE: Nicot sends snuff to Catherine de Medici, Queen of France, to treat her migraine headaches. ...

1568: FRANCE: Andre Thevet provides first description of tobacco use. In Brazil, he wrote, the people smoke it and it cleans the "superfluous humours of the brain". ...

1571: SPAIN: MEDICINE: Monardes, a doctor in Seville, reports on the latest craze among Spanish doctors--the wonders of the tobacco plant, which herbalists are growing all over Spain. Monardes lists 36 maladies tobacco cures. ...

1577: ENGLAND: MEDICINE: Frampton translates Monardes into English. European doctors look for new cures--tobacco is recommended for toothache, falling fingernails, worms, halitosis, lockjaw & cancer.

And here's what I'm guessing is the first smoking ban (also from that link):
Quote:
1575: MEXICO: LEGISLATION: Roman Catholic Church passes a law against smoking in any place of worship in the Spanish Colonies

What looks like the first caution against smoking (again, same link):
Quote:
1586: GERMANY: 'De plantis epitome utilissima' offers one of first cautions to use of tobacco, calling it a "violent herb".
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:15 pm
wow cool.

I figured there was more to it then just uses in the last 200 years. But that was the only use I knew of
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Smokers are dumb
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 05:32:45