Caller ID and Telemarketers who call

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 05:54 pm
Several years ago, Congress passed a law requiring, from what I understand, telemarketers to have "caller ID-identifiable" phone numbers.

In other words, the Caller ID wouldn't read simply "unavailable," "no name," or "Blocked."

Apparently that's not being enforced. But that's not the point of this thread.

On the numbers I do capture on the CID, I call some of them back after doing an online search for the name.

For instance, if a number the CID picked up comes up in Google or Anywho as a legit name, I'll call it back (this is most common with out-of-state calls to my mail-order company).

However, sometimes, a legit number will come up and when I call it, I get the recording that "this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service."

Now I know that can't be true because the CID just five minutes previously gave me the number.

So what's the deal? Are telemarketers <i>forging</i> their outgoing CID signal? Is that possible?

General
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,353 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:29 pm
It's not only possible it is fairly easy to do - especially if you have a telephone switch at your disposal and if they are running an outbound call center you can bet they have a switch.

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/9822
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:30 pm
I guess, and many of them still come in as out of area.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 08:11 am
Simply amazing stuff. Thanks for the info.

General
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 03:54 pm
It IS very simple to do. Cloning telephone numbers and representing them falsely is a common practise. I believe that there was something in the news about that recently....
0 Replies