Weather and rainfall inside a 6 mile cylinder?

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:42 pm
Just finished a read of this new sci fi book called the First Ark. It left me thinkin' if it is poss. to have weather inside a rotating ship of that size. Hmm...I didn't think it woz big enough?

Thhere's this page I spotted on Google:

http://www.astroscience.org/abdul-ahad/firstarktoalphacentauri/FAQ.htm

What do you weather experts here think? Possible or not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 761 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:52 pm
Certainly its possible - it is observed to happen on smaller scale right here on earth:

Quote:
Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB)
The Vehicle Assembly Building was constructed in preparation of the Apollo missions for vertical assembly of the Saturn V rockets. Located at Kennedy Space Center, Florida, it is now used to assemble the Space Transportation System, which includes the Space Shuttle, the External Tank and two Solid Rocket Boosters. From the VAB, the STS is moved on a giant crawler to the launch pads 39A or 39B, the actual launching sites of the Space Transportation System. The VAB is the second largest building (by volume) in the world, and it even has its own weather inside -- NASA employees report that rain clouds form below the ceiling on very humid days
0 Replies

NobodySpecial

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:05 am
Even if it did, theres no gravity in the cylinder's middle so i think the dude is using some electric gadget to allow rainfall to happen. Hm..Interesting....
0 Replies