Do you look?

djjd62

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 11:26 am
cjhsa wrote:
Once long ago there was this really hot girl in the market I was shopping, and I decided to try and hit on her. In her basket she had a box of Kotex, some Ex-Lax, and a can of Raid.

lol

that's worse than seeing baby food and diapers
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 07:37 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I mostly shop at a health food co-op or a local market that supplies upscale restaurants. These places are sooo politically correct that it's probably not possible to buy anything embarrassing. If anything, we all wave our organic chickens, brick oven breads and perfectly aged cheeses in each others face.

When I do what I call my toilet paper shopping it's different. I rarely run into people I know, but I do check out what the person on line in front of me is buying. I usually get to feel very superior because most of the locals live on things I would not consider food. I have seen people rack up bills well over $150 and have nothing to show for it accept Little Debbie Cakes, cans of chili, Lucky Charms cereal, cases of Coke and bags of frozen fried potatoes - it's no wonder that 1 in 5 Americans has diabetes and 60% are over weight.

This sounds exacly like me, right down to the snarky looking in strangers' baskets at the regular supermarket. Mr Cypher and I always turn to each other as we leave and say, "Oh God, did you see all those bags of pork rinds and the ten boxes of antacids?!" and then shake our heads in a superior manner. Laughing
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 07:46 pm
cyphercat wrote:
"Oh God, did you see all those bags of pork rinds

kindly stop looking in my grocery cart
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 01:28 am
Oh, like the antacids aren't in there too...
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 01:53 am
Greenwich wrote:
Quote:
I'm a hardcore Voluntary Simplicity groupie and if I can get my act together I'll put up a thread on Food & Drink with some ideas and we can all give our frugal tips.

Greenwich, I hope you do that, I'd love to see a thread like that. I've thought about doing a thread like that too -- something about eating healthy, and we could all exchange recipes.

Healthy food is not only affordable, it can be also taste good. There is such a thing as healthy "comfort" food. In fact, when you get used to eating healthy, you start craving healthier foods.

People may say they can't afford it, but the fact is you can buy fresh or frozen vegetables pretty cheap -- for less money than it would take to buy a Big Mac and fries (that greasy food kept warm under a heat lamp, blech!)

You can always freeze things like soups and casseroles and reheat them if you are too tired to make something from scratch after a long day. So healthy food can be also be convenient.

I'm trying to get away from buying processed foods too. I made a casserole the other night that called for cheddar cheese and instead of buying the processed crap, I bought "real" cheddar. No more expensive that the processed stuff, and much better taste.

Man, this is such a great subject! I hope someone starts a thread about this in Food & Drink soon!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 02:07 am
Ah, I'll line up with Greenie and SheWolf, as might be expected. My favorite grocery store in recent years, a category re which I admit to be of keen interest to me, was the rather pricey small Eureka Co-op. I learned to buy there and eat well for less. Takes some perspicacity, not to mention you need to go elsewhere for certain products. First of all, I learned to appreciate every single thing in their meat and fish counters, from the local wild salmon to the grassfed beef, and the well raised chickens. Expensive, yes. Eat meat less often, yes, sure, of course. Even consider using meat or fish as a mere part of a meal, rather like in some chinese or other asian recipes.

But, the deal is, I know about these things from reading from my own interest. I can hardly talk without sounding like Snobbola.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:26 am
The best outlet for reasonably priced beef, pork, and lamb is Costco. Nobody else comes close.

Chicken is often a loss leader at regular grocers so Costco won't compete there.

The only problem is you have to buy NY Strips in packages of six, and two of them will feed 4-5 people.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:31 am
Stray Cat wrote:

People may say they can't afford it, but the fact is you can buy fresh or frozen vegetables pretty cheap -- for less money than it would take to buy a Big Mac and fries (that greasy food kept warm under a heat lamp, blech!)

actually, for the average cost of a happy meal, or mc-sh-t meal as I call 'em, I can feed 3 people for a day.

lets say the meal is 5 dollars even.

5 dollars buys me 1/2 lb of brown rice, a small can of pineapple , a small head of broccoli, a package of tofu and a little seasoned salt.

Cook that together , the way i do, and you have a meal for 3 with enough left overs for either a snack for 2 or a meal for one.

A happy meal isnt enough to feed 2 people and make them full...
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 05:50 pm
I believe it! Those fast food places aren't as cheap as they used to be. You could also buy a small bag of frozen mixed veggies for probably about one dollar. But people will sometimes go to the fast food places out of laziness.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:28 am
shewolfnm wrote:

actually, for the average cost of a happy meal, or mc-sh-t meal as I call 'em, I can feed 3 people for a day.

lets say the meal is 5 dollars even.

5 dollars buys me 1/2 lb of brown rice, a small can of pineapple , a small head of broccoli, a package of tofu and a little seasoned salt.

Cook that together , the way i do, and you have a meal for 3 with enough left overs for either a snack for 2 or a meal for one.

A happy meal isnt enough to feed 2 people and make them full...

Actually, I'd still be damn hungry after barfing up that tofu.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:57 am
Dont worry..

i'd feed it to you again..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:09 am
In your dreams.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do you look?
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 07/08/2024 at 02:57:42