Do you look?

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 06:07 am
If you bump into a pal you know in a supermarket do yuo look in their trolley/basket?

Is it an involuntary action or do you look on purpose if at all?

Does it stop you from buying certain things locally to spare embarrasment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,518 • Replies: 51
No top replies

flushd

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 07:14 am
Oh yeah, I look!

And then I remember I simply need that 4L of chocolate ice cream or Oreo cookies that they have stashed at the bottom of their cart.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 07:41 am
I mostly shop at a health food co-op or a local market that supplies upscale restaurants. These places are sooo politically correct that it's probably not possible to buy anything embarrassing. If anything, we all wave our organic chickens, brick oven breads and perfectly aged cheeses in each others face.

When I do what I call my toilet paper shopping it's different. I rarely run into people I know, but I do check out what the person on line in front of me is buying. I usually get to feel very superior because most of the locals live on things I would not consider food. I have seen people rack up bills well over $150 and have nothing to show for it accept Little Debbie Cakes, cans of chili, Lucky Charms cereal, cases of Coke and bags of frozen fried potatoes - it's no wonder that 1 in 5 Americans has diabetes and 60% are over weight.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:33 am
I see what others have bought and try to work out their marital status, job, illnesses, time of the month etc
Im a bit weird like that.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:39 am
I look sometimes... but my variety is so weird I am afraid I may scare people lol...

I love when men get awkard buying femine needs... you can see them looking around as they put it in to basket or on the grocery belt.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:40 am
Green Witch wrote:
I mostly shop at a health food co-op or a local market that supplies upscale restaurants. These places are sooo politically correct that it's probably not possible to buy anything embarrassing. If anything, we all wave our organic chickens, brick oven breads and perfectly aged cheeses in each others face.

When I do what I call my toilet paper shopping it's different. I rarely run into people I know, but I do check out what the person on line in front of me is buying. I usually get to feel very superior because most of the locals live on things I would not consider food. I have seen people rack up bills well over $150 and have nothing to show for it accept Little Debbie Cakes, cans of chili, Lucky Charms cereal, cases of Coke and bags of frozen fried potatoes

Well, lot of people cant afford perfectly aged cheeses and organic chickens.

$150 is a lotta dough, but I bet it bought a lotta food, too. If you're on basic means you gotta look at quantity before you can look at quality <shrugs>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:42 am
Crazielady420 wrote:
I love when men get awkard buying femine needs... you can see them looking around as they put it in to basket or on the grocery belt.

Yeah I remember last time I bought a vibrator, I felt like everyone was lookin funny at me..
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:44 am
nimh wrote:
Crazielady420 wrote:

Yeah I remember last time I bought a vibrator, I felt like everyone was lookin funny at me..

Maybe they thought anal probing.... did you at least buy lube with it...

(sorry MG... I'll get back to your topic now :-) )
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:57 am
nimh wrote:

$150 is a lotta dough, but I bet it bought a lotta food, too. If you're on basic means you gotta look at quantity before you can look at quality <shrugs>

very true.
But agree with GW on this one, mostly because I do it too.

I live on 100 .00 a week for food. And that has to feed 3 people including milk for Bean. Wich.. she only drinks soy..so double the cost of regular milk right there..

But.. being poor doesnt mean you have to survive on sugar cakes and cheap snacks alone.
I have seen many carts of .. ( forgive me for this statement.. im only making a point)
I have seen many carts of poor people filled with sugar, crap snacks, and 50 cent microwave dinners.

I do understand what it is to not have enough to feed everyone a good sized meal... but I will be damned if the little pennies I have to afford food buy little debbie cakes and sugar cereals.
You can buy bulk veggies, rice and beans .. get a GOOD amount and make that your basic staple diet.

In defence of " poor" people like me, there isnt alot of basic media coverage of healthy diets for everyone to KNOW what to shop for to keep themselves healthy.
Your basic 'healthy foods' advertisements usually include brands like Healthy choice wich is processed meats, bleached grains, and over boiled fruits and veggies wich give next to no nutrition and have the exact same chemicals that are known to cause cancer and obesity.

Im getting off my soap box now..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:58 am
nimh wrote:
Crazielady420 wrote:

well

when you buy one that is 3 feet long...

sheeshh..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:05 am
nimh wrote:

Nimh, I feed my husband and I for about $50 dollars a week and we eat mostly organic and local food. I used to teach a free class entitled "Feed A Family of 4 for $50 a Week". The biggest problem I had was people wanted their junk and didn't want to learn how to cook. A diet of whole grains, legumes, fresh produce and a little meat is the best way to go if your income is limited. You can eat a healthy diet on very little money, the crap gives you the calories but little else. In case you think I'm being a rich snob - I can tell you based on NY state income charts my household is listed slightly above the poverty line.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:09 am
I would love to hear your shopping tips gw.
I absolutly agree with you ( see my earlier post)

I also believe that it is more expencive to eat cheap foods.
Cheap foods meaning snacks, cookies, and junk because you have to physically consume more to feel full.
Chips dont weigh much so the body doesnt register ' full' until you are half way through the bag. .. for example.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:16 am
Hey Wolf, I've been told I should write a book and if I could write, I probably would. I'm a hardcore Voluntary Simplicity groupie and if I can get my act together I'll put up a thread on Food & Drink with some ideas and we can all give our frugal tips.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:19 am
OK, GW. The "perfectly aged cheeses" and all left me with the wrong impression, sorry.

Its just I know that "eating bad" tends to be more endemic among poor people because, well, sausage is cheaper than salmon, coke is cheaper than organic apple juice, etc ... I was reading an article about "super foods" a while ago and almost all of it is bloody expensive. Blueberries, salmon, white tea, right...

But I can totally see your point about cooking. I hadnt thought about microwave food. Its true, the ready-made stuff is both unhealthy and expensive.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:24 am
I'm a very thrifty shopper, I buy Little Debbie cakes in bulk.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:25 am
Crazielady420 wrote:

Funny you should mention men getting embarrassed.

I was in the queue to buy my lunch at a garage today, a guy knocks a packet of condoms off the shelf at the front of the queue(why youd want to buy condoms with yuor lunch or petrol is beyond me!!)
The guy looked to see what he knocked but didnt pick them up.
I thought he cant be embarrassed surely!!So i thought if they are still on the floor when Im at the front of the queue Il put them back on the shelf.
Much to my happiness and restored faith in men in general, he picked them up before he left.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:25 am
shewolfnm wrote:
well

sheeshh..

Well I thought I might as well buy one that could double as a broomstick.. talkin thrift, I mean.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:26 am
nimh wrote:
OK, GW. The "perfectly aged cheeses" and all left me with the wrong impression, sorry.

Its just I know that "eating bad" tends to be more endemic among poor people because, well, sausage is cheaper than salmon, coke is cheaper than organic apple juice, etc ... I was reading an article about "super foods" a while ago and almost all of it is bloody expensive. Blueberries, salmon, white tea, right...

But I can totally see your point about cooking. I hadnt thought about microwave food. Its true, the ready-made stuff is both unhealthy and expensive.

It's OK Nimh, I still love you. Actually your response is normal. People ask me how I can afford organic chicken and then I just point out is costs less per pound than Chicken McNuggets.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:34 am
nimh wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:
well

sheeshh..

Well I thought I might as well buy one that could double as a broomstick.. talkin thrift, I mean.

Laughing holy ****... Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:39 am
actually.. to expand on the ' whats cheaper idea'

dollar for dollar you get a higher quantity of food in the fruits and grains then you do in the .99 cent hot dogs, cheap breads etc.

You can get a pound of organic brown rice for 1.00 ( average) vs Uncle ben's brand wich is about 1/3 - 1/2 of a lb for .79 cents.

Organic juices are cheaper frozen then fresh.. can not argue that one..

You dont really even HAVE to buy everything organic. I dont.
Mybig staples - broccoli, rice, tofu, yes.. because I eat those more often then anything else.
But if i want a sweet treat ( water melon, apples etc.)
those are not always organic. But i get more from them by eating them as a snack then I do a snickers bar..
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do you look?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 07/08/2024 at 01:41:01