My local pub is a 1000 years old

kev

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:26 pm
It has now been verified that a pub that I frequent, the Bingley Arms in Bardsey on the outskirts of leeds has been in business as a pub since approximately 950AD, well over a thousand years.

The biggest slaughter ever on British soil was the massacre during the war of the roses in 1461 at Towton just a couple of miles from here when 30,000 men were hacked to death in hand to hand combat in the space of just nine hours on palm sunday in 1461.

It's really wierd sitting here drinking my pint thinking that the combatants who survived that terrible day probably called in here for a flagon of ale before making their way home.

I can't believe now that as a schoolboy I wasn't interested in history.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 716 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:34 pm
If they try to sell you an "aged" brew. I'd be careful. They may be trying to clean out the cellar.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:41 pm
That would be a hell of place to get the d.t.s -

I remember when I used to drink that there was this Puerto Rican family that lived on the top ledge of my window and when I would wake up in the am after being out on a hummer she'd shake her dust mop at me and cuss in Spanish.

Did you ever have anything like that happen.
0 Replies