Do plant roots always grow downward?

llmtony

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 05:08 pm
Hi,
I need help with my science project. For my research paper I must have a primary resource (or a person) that has educational knowledge on my topic. My topic is plant growth, and for whoever can help me with this, please get back to me. These are the questions that I would like for you to answer.

Why do plant roots grow in this direction?

and...

Why do plant roots grow for this reason?

Thank you very much. Please get back to me as soon as possible because, my research paper is due this tuesday.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 18,651 • Replies: 11
No top replies

spendius

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 06:03 pm
Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

It's where the nutrient is.

Quote:

Because plants are amoral.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:23 pm
Spanish Moss has no roots. It is able absorb moisture and nutrients directly from the atmosphere. It is not a moss, and is related to the pineapple. Although it grows on trees in eastern carolinas-it is not a parasite, other than using the trees for support.

Rap
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 08:23 pm
spendius wrote:
Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

It's where the nutrient is.

Quote:

Because plants are amoral.

An example of tree roots not growing downward is J rooted seedlings.
This is generally caused by an over or under supply of water. Sometimes having a nursery heat bed (used to increase the growing rate) set too high for that particular plant type will have that effect as well.

Tree roots generally grow toward moisture until it has access to the required amount of water. This is usually downward but not always. If a hard clay pan or rock shelf is encountered tree roots may grow sideways to access the volume of water required. In poorly drained soils tree roots will activley avoid stagnant water which might contain pathogens damaging to trees.

Trees have adapted to variouse environments in variouse ways, for example in an area with low, light rainfalls the soil moisture can be less in the subsoil than the top soil. In this case trees can adapt in several different ways, deep roots to access subteranian moisture or shallow roots to take immediate advantage of any minor rainfall or even dew. sometimes they will store exess water in special cell structures see Australian baobab trees. Nutrients do play a role but are usually dissolved in water before trees have access.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 08:39 pm
Roots grow up down under. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 09:08 pm
Actually, I think they grow down for water more than nutrients. ll - you ask if they always grow down.... do you mean as opposed to up? Because sometimes roots grow laterally (outward) as much as down.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:05 pm
Roots grow downwards in response to gravity.
In microgravity (in orbit) they tend to grow in a spiral.

There are cells in the roots that have tiny particles in them that cause cell growth and division. These particles are slightly heavier than the rest of the stuff inside the cells and so under gravity they basically fall slowly to the bottom of the cell where they trigger cell division ie. growth.

This is not a complete explanation as I am not a botanist or a biologist but it covers the basics.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 04:28 pm
That's what I told them.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 04:50 pm
My (gray) roots grow out
NobodySpecial

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:14 am
The dude in this vanity page says the roots grow where the gravity vector is headed. So in his cylinder haf way down the page, it rotates to give artifisial gravity making tree roots coming <<outwards>>

http://www.astroscience.org/abdul-ahad/firstarktoalphacentauri.htm

cool ;-) !
0 Replies

rashaun1106

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 09:02 am
@llmtony,
u stupid idot ur so dumb all plant grow upward nd downward u stupin idot
0 Replies

rashaun1106

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 09:03 am
@Chumly,
wat a dummy