TurboTax

gollum

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 03:54 pm
In prior years I used TurboTax to prepare my tax return. Instead of inputting each income figure, TurboTax enabled me to import my income figures directly from income payers (e.g., mutual funds) to my tax return on TurboTax.

This year it appears to allow importing data on through Quicken. I don't have Quicken and don't know how to get it.

Can data be imported to TurboTax as in prior years?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,925 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Jonsey

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:43 am
Did you find an answer to your question? If not I would call the helpline for an answer. I like Turbo Tax, I think it works pretty well. The only thing I would caution against is the same thing I was talking about earlier...don't go for the instant refund...they charge you extra for it and it really doesn't come through THAT much faster...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:47 pm
I used turbotax this year for the first, and probably last time. It seemed I was given the opportunty to buy quicken and several other products throughout the process. Honestly, the thing took longer downloading upgrades and checking for new rules that didn't apply to me than I would have spend completing a dozen manual forms. Probably could have saved over an hour just by asking if I had been affected by hurricane katrina.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 01:45 pm
This year's TurboTax has the same remote import features as the previous years (I imoprted my W-2 for example). I've used TT every year for the last 10 or so and never had any problmes with it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:56 pm
Fine. I waited hours on mine. The following morning, it had shut down and was about ready to use the next evening. No more for me.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 04:00 pm
Interesting Roger! I don't know of anyone else that's had problems with it.

They do get a bit irritating with updates. I've learned to wait and buy it directly from them on-line (instead of the discs they sell in stores) so that I get the latest/greatest updates when I install it the first time and others have already use dit for a month or so so many of the bugs have already beed fixed.

It took maybe 10 minutes to install for me. Sorry you had problems...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:59 am
I love 'em, it was very easy this year. All done online. I never buy the boxed TT software.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 04:13 pm
Neither do I. No more again forever.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:37 pm
I switched to TaxCut by H&R Block a few years ago. It imports info from a previous TaxCut or TurboTax file.

Roger, my download on dial-up took just under 1.5 hours this morning (can you say, procrastinate?). You'll notice the time savings the second year and beyond because everything is preloaded from this year's return. You just have to change the numbers to reflect the current year's income, etc.

I have a fairly complicated return that took me less than a hour to complete once I had the software installed and my paperwork pulled together.

Now, all I need to do is to figure out how to grow money on trees to pay the taxes by Monday.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:40 pm
I was in the Post Office this morning, and saw a list. Apparently, some of the post offices in my area are open until midnight on tax day!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:54 pm
I thought my post office was open until midnight last year and was quite surprised to see an empty parking lot at 8:00pm. There was a sign in the window with the list of POs that were staying open late to post returns. The closest one to me was down in the city (about an hour away). Rather than waste an hour driving to Chicago, I threw my envelopes in the outside mailbox and figured I'd get a late penalty from the IRS and/or the state of IL. I never heard a thing <shrug>.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:19 pm
J_B, there isn't going to be 'a next year'.
0 Replies