Cat Travel Via Plane

Boston

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:08 am
Boston Cat is going to be moving State with me next week and will be on the plane from CA to Louisiana with a stopover in between basically he will be travelling a total off 12 hours including trip to and from airport.

I want to make sure that he is as comfortable as possible he is in the cabin with me but would like to get any tips from others on when to give him his last meal and drink before flying, should I give him a tranquilizer or such like? to be honest I would prefare not to as I think that will cause him more stress.

Any advice for the trip would be greatly appreciated.

Bostons Mom. Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,084 • Replies: 7
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:56 pm
Get the drugs - some sort of anti-anxiety. That cat won't be happy, but he'll live. Have you spoken with his vet?
0 Replies

Boston

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:57 pm
No I have not but I will tomorrow.
A few years ago I took a cat from Portugal to the UK it had to go to Quarantine but he flew and no tranquilisers? and my friends keep saying just put him on the plane without them I am stumped what to do for the best. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:01 am
I've never flown with a cat, but I've traveled with them in cars. Most of them don't like it, don't like being in a carrier, and can keep up a steady howling for days. I vote for the tranquilizers, but that's just my opinion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:04 am
There are non-prescription (vet prescription, that is) medications that you could use. PetCo (I'm sure most of the stores would carry it) has an all organic stress reducer. It is called Richard's Organics Pet Calm and treats anxiety and stress. It comes in a liquid with an eye dropper so it's pretty easily given to your cat.

Of course, the vet is the best one from whom to get the advice. I use this on the cats here at the shelter when they have to go to the vet and I know they are a stress risk. Stress is very hard on cats. I don't think this stuff costs very much. I think it was around $5.00 or so.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. Oh BTW, where in Louisiana? I'm in Louisiana!
0 Replies

Boston

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:40 am
Thanks all.
I am going to go to PETCO today I like the idea of something natural, he actually loves the car and never makes a noise just sits and looks out the window like a dog.

Momma Angel I am moving to Slidell Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:52 am
Boston,

So cool Laughing . Tell you what, I will send you my email address if you'd like. Have you ever lived in Louisiana before?
0 Replies

Boston

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 10:17 am
No I have been there, before but not lived.
I cannot send you my email as I am not been a member long enough and it will not allow me to send a PM but maybe you can send one to me?

Smile
0 Replies