My mental capacity in the sciences seems to be diminishing

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:52 am
Hello, i've got a bit of a pickle here. I post on this forum and I am using this account because my issue is slightly embarrassing that I do not want associated with my normal account.

I think I am experiencing mental deterioration in mathematics and sciences, or a psychological version thereof. Even though I try harder, the same problems I solved a year ago are now impossible.

During high school, I could look a problem for example a limit, and comprehend its value. Derivatives, trig, chemistry, it all was no problem and I was an A student without a lot of effort.

Around college, things changed. The problems I am doing are the exact same as the ones in high school. Even though I study day in and day out to my utmost ability, it seems like all I do is lose focus. I feel as though I have lost my ability to comprehend why and how something works. I feel in a constant stupor, and simple mathematical operations I could do in my head now take me several lines of paper. When I stare at the problem, my brain seems to shut down, and all I do is concentrate uselessly until even my vision is blurry.

This is very frustrating and a lot of my classes are at the point now where I have to make excellent grades in order to barely pass. I have always had an interest in engineering (my major) and have undertaken many projects on my own will. I still enjoy the sciences.

What is wrong with me, any help would be appreciated, even humor. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,280 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:14 am
Is that you, Gunga?
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:17 am
I'm surprised that the problems are the same as in high school. Maybe they just seem the same, but are actually more difficult (they should be).

I recall college being something of a rude awakening. I breezed through high school as the top student in math/science. When I got to college, I found out I wasn't so special.

Perhaps you have other things going on in your life (work or significant other) that weren't a distraction in high school.

Maybe your experiencing Alzheimer's at an early age. Smile
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:18 am
Imbackforhelp

As a middle aged ex-academis I sympathise with you !

Assuming this is not a "physical problem" involving lesion, medication, alcohol, or similar you might consider psychoanaytic explanations like:

1. You are "unconsciously"afraid of succeeding and "going out into the world"
2. You are not "actually" interested in your major but have invested too much effort in it to admit it. Family support hitherto could also be an issue here.
3. Some other "subliminal problem" is sapping your concentration.

If you have spiritual leanings you might even take comfort from writers like Krishnamurti who talks of "the futility of becoming".

Regards fresco.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:18 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Is that you, Gunga?

priceless
0 Replies

Imbackforhelp

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:23 am
Thanks for all of your replies, from what fresco and markr has posted, I think I may take a career exploration course for one of my many electives. I will do a lot of self analysis in the coming week (spring break).

If it fails with my best effort then maybe it was not meant to be.
Thanks for all of your support.

I checked out the philosophical teachings fresco recommended, and they definetly provoke thought.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:34 am
I recommend fish oil. Loads of it.

This can either be consumed in capsule form, which helps with the old brain pathways, or in liquid form, liberally applied to each nipple, five minutes before intense lovemaking.
0 Replies

Imbackforhelp

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:42 am
Bwahahahaha, I am not gungasnake, but that is just funny.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 05:44 am
Have you tried nicotine in moderate doses.There is plenty of clinical evidence to support its use in prevention of brain weakness.

I sometimes think that campaigns against tobacco are designed to render us into a more malleable state.There is in my experience,and I have heard others remark on it,a marked deterioration in the quality of conversation among a group of non smokers compared to a group of smokers.Barrie has a book which discusses the subject called My Lady Nicotine.Non smokers have a definite tendency to be self focussed.
Some writers have found their creativity ruined by stopping smoking.

But modertion is important and not easy to achieve.

It might come down to a choice between quality of life and quantity of it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 06:04 am
I agree with the members who have compared the difference between high school and college. You are at the point in your life where you are making the leap from adolescence to adulthood. This brings with in a lot of changes, all at once, which is often difficult for a young person to absorb.

The fact that you have opened another A2K account is telling. It sounds to me that a lot of your ego was invested in the idea that you were very bright in the sciences and mathematics, and you are having difficulty dealing with the idea that maybe you were not as adept at it as you thought. Relax. Many young people go through similar experiences as you.
It is nothing of which to be ashamed.

Are you a "commuter student", or do you live at your college? Sometimes the adjustment from living at home, to living with other students can be daunting. Have you developed a network of friends at school, or are you feeling very alone? Some young people go through a depression when the changes that are inherent in going to college appear difficult to them.

I have some suggestions. First, go to the doctor, have a complete checkup with bloodwork, simply to rule out any physical reasons for your difficulties. Then, if everything is o.k., go to the career counselling center of your school. Tell them that you want to take a serious of aptitude and interest tests, to determine the best direction for you to go.

Lots of good luck to you!
0 Replies

Imbackforhelp

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:20 pm
Well guys, I think I found the solution to my problems. I knew I could count on you.

After serious though, meditation, and career counseling over my test scores, I think I have found my major. I am going to transfer into an ecet degree. It is the same premise as electrical/computer engineering, but less work on theory and discovery, then on practical application and implementation.

My major downfall was my inability to work with theory, I could solve a harder calculus equation using real life data I observed, but I couldn't solve a simple one full of nothing but numbers and formulas. I am a hands on learner and this working with non-existent stuff killed me.

Thanks again, I owe all of you that posted bigtime for your insight and wisdom.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:41 pm
Don't forget.......FISH OIL!
0 Replies

atypical10

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 04:51 pm
Maybe it is just anxiety and stress of college?
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:58 pm
I've been there before too.
I found the same thing.
It's why I'm rubbish at maths but rather good with physics and electronics.
0 Replies

FreeThought

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 09:35 pm
Re: My mental capacity in the sciences seems to be diminishi
Imbackforhelp wrote:

Around college, things changed.
Smile

You discovered beer?
0 Replies