definition of life ?

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 12:52 pm
sorry if that has been posted before, or if its such an easy question that i shouldnt even be asking it

but i wonder whats the scientific definition of life ?

ultimately, what distinguishes an animal from a plant ? from a rock ?

is there common ground between a rock and an animal ? bewteen a dead body and a living one ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 998 • Replies: 13
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:33 pm
We have done this before in other threads, but it is an interesting debatable question.

Without looking up a "classic" definition, I think I would define it something like this:

* Must be able to replicate itself
* Must consume and excrete (this removes viruses from "life" and is probably debatable on that merit, however, it fits my definition).

Replicative molecules are, in my mind, a chemical process. And viruses are parasitic, and can really only exist if there is other "life" around to parisitize. So I tend to rule out these things as being "alive".
0 Replies

miguelito21

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 04:18 pm
thanks.

i couldnt find the threads talking about it. could link me please ?

Must be able to replicate itself

replicate ? really Confused

i didnt really know the word and thats the definition i found : produce a replica of itself
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 08:41 pm
miguelito21 wrote:
thanks.

i couldnt find the threads talking about it. could link me please ?

Try this one.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 09:15 pm
The famous problem with most definitions of life is that they include "fire".

Fire does everything that living organisms do, It consumes food, excrete waste, breathes air, and replicates itself-- yet no one ever says fire is alive.

My son just came back with his definition of "life" which included all of the normal criteria with one addition... it says to be alive you must be made of cells.

I don't find this very compelling... it will be interesting to see how this classification changes as we learn more about life in the Universe.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:00 am
ebrown_p wrote:

Fire does everything that living organisms do, It consumes food, excrete waste, breathes air, and replicates itself-- yet no one ever says fire is alive.

Fire doesn't replicate itself (as in reproduction). It spreads (a purely chemical process). To me that's different.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 10:42 am
'Life' is a difficult definition, one that requires several other aspects--i.e. terrestrial life is carbocentric (theoretically there are other possibilities).

Wikipedia ptovides a short discussion if the definition of Life that includes some proposed definition and discusses insufficiencies.

Interestingly one definition includes 'cell(s)' and consequently define virus as non-life.

Rap
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:23 am
rosborne979 wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Fire doesn't replicate itself (as in reproduction). It spreads (a purely chemical process). To me that's different.

At the core of our reproduction is the process of "cell mitosis" which is a purely chemical process. In fact, after the act takes place (which isn't even necessary for many types of life), everything is a purely chemical process.

Of course to you that's different than fire... I am just making the point that describing this difference in any meaningfulway is difficult.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 12:16 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

At the core of our reproduction is the process of "cell mitosis" which is a purely chemical process. In fact, after the act takes place (which isn't even necessary for many types of life), everything is a purely chemical process.

Of course to you that's different than fire... I am just making the point that describing this difference in any meaningfulway is difficult.

Maybe we should change replication to "replication of information".

Structural information is contained in DNA. Maybe information itself needs to be included in the definition of life.

We need something to differentiate simple chemical processes from "living" chemical processes. As you say, everything is a chemical process at some level, but we still perceive some things to be "alive" and others not, so where is the line drawn.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:02 pm
DNA is carbonist bigotry.

In the proper environs other elements could prevail over carbon as the basic element of life---

'The ammonia breathing liberation front'
Rap
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 03:10 pm
raprap wrote:
DNA is carbonist bigotry.

In the proper environs other elements could prevail over carbon as the basic element of life---

Possibly. But if they replicated by splitting and passing information, then the information content would be the process.
0 Replies

Revival

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:27 pm
I'm just gonna say that I'm happy with my life.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 10:46 pm
Life is defined in this thread:

Life
0 Replies

miguelito21

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 11:54 pm
thanks everybody. i'll check the threads and the links.
0 Replies