Teaching someone basic internet skills.

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 11:39 am
The Dummies series are a bit too cutesy, but actually very helpful underneath the puns.

The Teach Yourself...Visually books are good too.

I have various versions of both, and use them all the time for reference.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 11:41 am
That's pretty good Michael....

Yeah, I heard a story where a new cashier was supposed to back up some info on disk at the end of her shift...she called the boss at home because she didn't know how to do that.

He explained where to insert the disk, but she said she couldn't get it to go in, because that where she had been inserting all the $100 dollar bills she had gotten during the day.

Oh a little update everyone....

He's doing better, I came across the site for cabella's sporting goods and let him go to town on that....I think he related to it because he knows cabelas is an actual store he has driven by.

Anyway, he found the bow he wanted, and then did look around at other stuff.

He's gone on a couple more times since then....to look up stuff on our new cats health, and about when a gun show was going to be.

so little by slowly....
0 Replies

breister

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 12:53 pm
I do teach internet skills in the Netherlands to emigrants (Russia, Turkey, Cape verde, Macedonia etc.) who speak very limited Dutch. My first question always is: what do you want to learn? We go from there: this is the mouse, this is how you move it and this is how you click, now you do it. If they want to do Internet banking we do it. They prefer to check airlines on flights to the home country we look at that. Very time consuming but we are doing something they are interested in. And then at the end of the first lesson I tell them about internet safety and write down some safe sites.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 06:23 am
It seems to me that a wife attempting to teach a husband internet skills is in the same category as a husband teaching a wife to drive.

My husband STILL has not gotten past limited surfing and printing skills, and we must have a computer for about 12 years. He knows nothing about the ins and outs of a computer, like burning a disc, or adding/removing programs. For instance, as you know, I type on A2K in bold/green. He would not have the foggiest idea of how to do this rather simple thing.

I think that he is using the computer for what he wants, and has no interest in learning more. I have long ceased attempting to teach him any more.

But, when it comes to the wiring and electronic parts of a computer, I know very little, and he does. I would be scared to death to add memory to the computer, and he has done that, several times over the years. As I say, "he's hardware, and I'm software." It works for us.
0 Replies