Fireworks?????????

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:03 am
what makes firworks fly into the air????
how do they get up there????
What forces them off the ground to explode in the air???
and to "username" this is not part of my homework it is simply a question out of my curiosity
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 545 • Replies: 6
No top replies

username

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:17 am
good, same thing that makes gunpowder work. gasses under pressure expand.

<hmm, he thinks, this does sound like more of the gunpowder homework thread, in another venue, that's what you find when you look at the "New Posts" section. Is she trying to con me into answering that thread somewhere else? oh all right, Ill be gullible one more time; no, maybe not--the info above is enough for her to go on if she thinks about it. Let's see if anyone else bites. Hint: leesy, look up "rocket">
0 Replies

leesybabe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:22 am
hahahahahahaha you are SO funny
do you want to know something
GUNPOWDER WASNT EVEN THE SUBJECT OF HOMEWORK IN MY OTHER THREAD YOU JUST JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS WHEN REALLY YOU HAVE NO IDEA
i am being totally serious it is NOT a con
and then you said in the other thread "why did i get involved in this conversation" and now you are jumping in just asking for more wow i started to believe that you regretted arguing with me but now i really know the truth
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:31 am
LB - in all fairness....

In the time I've taken to read all your posts, I can tell you have wasted much more time horsing around here than doing your homework.

Get back to work young lady.
0 Replies

leesybabe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:35 am
hahahaha

well i am going to defend myself if you dont mind because username is just not understanding me
and i know i could have finished it by now but i am not going to leave with everyone thinking that i am getting all my stuff from you guys

the website is here to ASK and im asking
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:57 am
leesy, my answer here was done before several of the later posts in the other thread, and you seem to have read it after you read those other posts, so you've got the sense wrong. I wasn't trying to argue with you, any more than markr was. There are a lot of these kinds of questions, and they all turn out to be someone trying to get homework done. And they all sound pretty much the same (tho of course the subject varies). And so what to do first is always pretty much the same answer. And it always pretty much works. And gunpowder seems an extension of propelling things thru the air. So the next lesson.

So honoring your statement that you're serious and curious and this has nothing to do with homework:

Think about a balloon. You blow it up. You're putting a gas (that is, air, in this case) in it under higher pressure than the outside. The gas inside under pressure presses outward on the skin of the balloon. It presses at each point equally strongly. Think of the point of the balloon as being where the neck is. The gas inside is pressing the same there as it is at the opposite end of the balloon, call it the front. Don't knot the neck of the balloon, just let it go. Now the pressure at the back of the balloon is less, because some of the air inside is escaping out the back, so the unbalanced force pressing the front of the balloon forward is stronger, so the balloon moves forward.

Same thing with a fireworks rocket (which for centuries used gunpowder, and in many cases still does). The gunpowder burns and produces lots of gas under pressure in a confined space. If there's a bullet in that confined space, it can withstand less pressure without moving than the barrel of the gun being steel can withstand, so the bullet is pushed out very fast. Since a rocket has one open end, like the balloon, the gunpowder pushes it the other way.

okay? happy now?

And chai is right, you spent more time complaining than working. Wikipedia, google, encarta first, and read thoroughly first next time, okay?

Have a good weekend, go to the beach, use lotsa sunblock, eat shrimp, seeya.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:59 am
that's supposed to read "think of the BACK of the balloon as being where the neck is"
0 Replies