Howard Johnson's memories

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:49 am
Time to tell your stories of HOJO's. Starbucks ( the thread got me thinking)has replaced Howard Johnson's along the highway.

Man, their Mocha Chip ice cream was the best.

The color scheme: Ack, acid blue and orange. One year in a blizzard when I was a youngin' we got stranded in a HOJO along with all the other travelers and ended up sleeping on the restaurant floor. As the food began to become scarce we really were eating fried clams for breakfast...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,410 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:50 am
Ooops, this is s'posed to be in the "General" category.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 11:08 am
Cliff Hanger--

Ask the Mods to move the thread. Click on the Report button in the upper right hand corner of your first post and follow the directions.

Be sure to indicate where you'd like the thread moved to.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 11:24 am
done, thanks Noddy. Where's your Hojo story?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 11:27 am
An old flame of mine and I decided one evening long ago we just HAD to go over to HoJo's for a strawberry shortcake sundae (there was one a block and a half from our apt).

Neither one of us had cash, so we went through the sofa cushions, kitchen drawers etc and came up with a handful of change.

We felt like 2 little kids going to the candy store, prepared to share if we had to.

Oh JOY! We had enough for two!!!!

It was the best sundae and one of the most romantic evenings we ever had.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 11:45 am
Cliff Hanger--

I grew up during the '40's and '50's and remember family excursions. People talk about the heartless uniformity of national motel chains, but before Eisenhower built the Interstate Highway system ("to get the farmers out of the mud" and to move troops quickly should this become a military necessity) overnight accommodations varied greatly in quality.

My parents adored the squeaky-clean respectability of Howard Johnson's Motor Lodges.

We frequently drove the Pennsylvania Turnpike between Johnstown and Pittsburgh to visit family. Howard Johnson's had the franchise for all the turnpike stops. If we were Very Good we stopped for ice cream--28 flavors, mine was peppermint. Children had double scoops and the family dog always had a single scoop of vanilla.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:19 pm
I have lots of HOJO memories. Ice cream sundaes as a kid, a trusted stop along the highway for lunch or dinner, good hotdogs (not really, but I thought they were good as a kid), and getting something to eat from the 24-hour breakfast menu after closing down the bars in college.

My sister worked at one. Her aqua checked uniform and my pink one from Dunkin' Donuts perked up laundry day.

ahhh, a nice trip down memory lane. Thanks!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 04:06 pm
Years back we were in a car driving somewhere and were in New Jersey (and well away from the Esso gas tank) not sure just where but I was with Uncle Bert and Aunt Inez and I think Frankie was there as well, he was a trouble maker back then being the little brat that he was. May have been that educational trip to Philadelphia or some other place. I had never been inside a Howard Johnson's at that point in my life but I had heard about them and as strange as it may sound I was envious of those people who got to go to them. We tended to be the bring your own sandwich sort of family. Uncle Bert drove the Buick off the road (highway or whatever it was) and we pulled up close I just sat there in shock my eyes ready to pop out of their sockets. I still get misty eyed thinking back on it. We all went inside and I think I went into some sort of orange roofed coma after that...Don't have any idea what I ordered but I know there was a general thrill to it and after that we got back in the car and headed off to the next destination. It was a while before I got to go to another one of those Howard Johnson's.

The last time I was in a Howard Johnson's was in New York City on or near Broadway (around Times Square) back in the early 1980s. I seem to vaguely recall my mother being there and a Broadway show before or after, which would have been 42nd Street which I took her to for Mother's Day that year. Keep in mind the alcoholism was starting to really get bad for me about then so most things (added to the long time ago factor) make it hard to remember. I have no idea what I had that time either. I also seem to recall that I actually went there after having dental work and seeing Star Trek II-Wrath of Khan...that seems to make more sense to me since I recall a different restaurant for Mother.

There were a few other trips to Howard Johnson at other times during the years which I would tell about if I could...honestly it never again generated as much excitement for me after that first trip. Now Dunkin' Donuts which J_B just mentioned (not necessarily the same outlet, just the chain)...now that one I could tell you hundreds of stories about.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 04:26 pm
I know, Frankie was really bad news.

He would always take my bike and peel out and everything.

stupid frankie.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 04:35 pm
Sturgis wrote:

Now Dunkin' Donuts which J_B just mentioned (not necessarily the same outlet, just the chain)...now that one I could tell you hundreds of stories about.

Sturgis, I don't know if you get to Burlington very often, but I worked at the DD on Shelburne Rd (Rt 7). Lovely pink uniforms (not!).
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 04:55 pm
J_B...

What years? This could prove to be interesting...

I haven't been to Burlington now for almost 10 years. I did go there fairly often from around 88-92 when my cousin was there and may have even made it to the Dunkin' Donuts there...If it was there at the time it's just about a guarantee since I love those places...although there aren't enough of the butternut donuts...guess I'll just have one of those chocolate ones...no, the one with the glaze on it...better make it two.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:27 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
An old flame of mine and I decided one evening long ago we just HAD to go over to HoJo's for a strawberry shortcake sundae (there was one a block and a half from our apt).

Neither one of us had cash, so we went through the sofa cushions, kitchen drawers etc and came up with a handful of change.

We felt like 2 little kids going to the candy store, prepared to share if we had to.

Oh JOY! We had enough for two!!!!

It was the best sundae and one of the most romantic evenings we ever had.

The ambiance at Hojo's-- what they did brilliantly was everything was so padded or carpeted the sounds of the restaurant was comforting-- the clinking of the silverware, etc. Those booths made you feel as if you were in your own private world. Even the counter where it was uncarpeted was fun to sit too. Chai Tea, your story reminded me of it.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:30 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Cliff Hanger--

I grew up during the '40's and '50's and remember family excursions. People talk about the heartless uniformity of national motel chains, but before Eisenhower built the Interstate Highway system ("to get the farmers out of the mud" and to move troops quickly should this become a military necessity) overnight accommodations varied greatly in quality.

My parents adored the squeaky-clean respectability of Howard Johnson's Motor Lodges.

We frequently drove the Pennsylvania Turnpike between Johnstown and Pittsburgh to visit family. Howard Johnson's had the franchise for all the turnpike stops. If we were Very Good we stopped for ice cream--28 flavors, mine was peppermint. Children had double scoops and the family dog always had a single scoop of vanilla.

I love that your dog got ice cream too. I remember staying in some Howard Johnsons and they were always consistent-- clean, with those funny mod lights, the wax wrapped glasses, the paper across the toilet to show it had been cleaned.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:33 pm
J_B wrote:
I have lots of HOJO memories. Ice cream sundaes as a kid, a trusted stop along the highway for lunch or dinner, good hotdogs (not really, but I thought they were good as a kid), and getting something to eat from the 24-hour breakfast menu after closing down the bars in college.

My sister worked at one. Her aqua checked uniform and my pink one from Dunkin' Donuts perked up laundry day.

ahhh, a nice trip down memory lane. Thanks!

I thought their bacon cheesburger was the finest food product on the planet. And they always had an array of candy items at the cash register. The whole place was a jumble of discordant color.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:39 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Years back we were in a car driving somewhere and were in New Jersey (and well away from the Esso gas tank) not sure just where but I was with Uncle Bert and Aunt Inez and I think Frankie was there as well, he was a trouble maker back then being the little brat that he was. May have been that educational trip to Philadelphia or some other place. I had never been inside a Howard Johnson's at that point in my life but I had heard about them and as strange as it may sound I was envious of those people who got to go to them. We tended to be the bring your own sandwich sort of family. Uncle Bert drove the Buick off the road (highway or whatever it was) and we pulled up close I just sat there in shock my eyes ready to pop out of their sockets. I still get misty eyed thinking back on it. We all went inside and I think I went into some sort of orange roofed coma after that...Don't have any idea what I ordered but I know there was a general thrill to it and after that we got back in the car and headed off to the next destination. It was a while before I got to go to another one of those Howard Johnson's.

The last time I was in a Howard Johnson's was in New York City on or near Broadway (around Times Square) back in the early 1980s. I seem to vaguely recall my mother being there and a Broadway show before or after, which would have been 42nd Street which I took her to for Mother's Day that year. Keep in mind the alcoholism was starting to really get bad for me about then so most things (added to the long time ago factor) make it hard to remember. I have no idea what I had that time either. I also seem to recall that I actually went there after having dental work and seeing Star Trek II-Wrath of Khan...that seems to make more sense to me since I recall a different restaurant for Mother.

There were a few other trips to Howard Johnson at other times during the years which I would tell about if I could...honestly it never again generated as much excitement for me after that first trip. Now Dunkin' Donuts which J_B just mentioned (not necessarily the same outlet, just the chain)...now that one I could tell you hundreds of stories about.

We used to stay at the Howard Johnson's in Rutland. At home we never ate the elaborate kind of breakfasts you could get there, and I recall eating a big one, eggs, bacon, hash browns, the toast. I had to have been about 8 or 9. No sooner had I finished, I threw the whole thing back up on my plate. I felt sick and embarressed. My older brother, who was sitting across from me just stared at me laughing and said "It looks like chicken soup." I believe that was the first time I ever experienced having murderous thoughts.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:42 pm
Sturgis, please tell a Dunkin Donuts story. I was born in New England and know how much a part of the landscape they are. Other parts of the country, they really aren't that big. And I've noticed, outside of New England the coffee is not as good.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:43 pm
Never heard of the place but I love this kind of threads.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 08:06 pm
My early memories of staying at places along the Penn Turnpike were "So and So's Cabins" - I am still nostalgic for those, at least in concept. First time I was in a HoJo, also off of the Penn Turnpike, I think, I was stunned by 28 flavors of ice cream. 28!!!!!!

I also liked and kept trying, at HoJo's after HoJo's, the fried clams, always in an attempt to replay some fried clams I got to have from some stand, in an ice cream carton, in Essex, Massachusetts, upon some visit to family on a wedding occasion.

HoJo's never measured up to that Essex stand, but I still liked the place.

Years later my ex hub and I stayed several days in Washington. DC, at a rather rundown but kind of neat anyway HoJo's. I remember it as a study in browns and beiges. Still, they had a coffee shop, good for showing up at after a late evening walk through the Mall.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:43 pm
Sturgis wrote:
J_B...

What years? This could prove to be interesting...

I haven't been to Burlington now for almost 10 years. I did go there fairly often from around 88-92 when my cousin was there and may have even made it to the Dunkin' Donuts there...If it was there at the time it's just about a guarantee since I love those places...although there aren't enough of the butternut donuts...guess I'll just have one of those chocolate ones...no, the one with the glaze on it...better make it two.

It was much earlier than that, in the early 70s when I was in high school.

It was one of the ones that had the window so you cook watch them make the donuts. You couldn't see what we were doing to them before we put them on the racks though :wink:
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:45 pm
ossobuco wrote:
My early memories of staying at places along the Penn Turnpike were "So and So's Cabins" - I am still nostalgic for those, at least in concept. First time I was in a HoJo, also off of the Penn Turnpike, I think, I was stunned by 28 flavors of ice cream. 28!!!!!!

I also liked and kept trying, at HoJo's after HoJo's, the fried clams, always in an attempt to replay some fried clams I got to have from some stand, in an ice cream carton, in Essex, Massachusetts, upon some visit to family on a wedding occasion.

HoJo's never measured up to that Essex stand, but I still liked the place.

Years later my ex hub and I stayed several days in Washington. DC, at a rather rundown but kind of neat anyway HoJo's. I remember it as a study in browns and beiges. Still, they had a coffee shop, good for showing up at after a late evening walk through the Mall.

It's true about the fried clams, they were never very good-- especially for those who had had the real thing. T'aint nothing like a good New England fried clam...Still, they were a staple at Hojo's. I'm not sure which was worse, the clams or the tartar sauce.

But the 28 flavors, I agree-- I always got chocolate, but had to read all the flavors everytime, nonetheless. Later on they added mocha chip, which you could buy in regular markets by the pint. That was some fine ice cream.

We had a local ice cream chain called Newport Creamery that boasted a lot of flavors and was famous for their grilled cheese sandwichs.

Then Baskin Robbins came along with their 31 flavors.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Howard Johnson's memories
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.25 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 04:30:17