Coloring Your Hair/ A Thread for Men and Women

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:36 am
I've never really colored my hair. Henna sometimes. It's very dark brown/ black with both red and blue highlights, depending on season and where on my head. (New hair, closest to scalp, is black in the winter -- during the summer it's all more dark brown with the ends being lightest/ reddest.)

But coloring just came up with hubby, he had an initial strong negative reaction, I dunno if I'm gonna push for it. He's grown out a beard... I don't mind beards as a concept, but I' don't like them on significant others (not least because it makes lipreading harder -- still going OK, but harder). He's having some "I'm NOT a grad student, I'm a PROFESSOR" complex. Rolling Eyes

It's cool colors, though. His regular hair is just medium-light brown, kinda mousy. His beard is mostly dark RED on the sides (muttonchops) and mostly blonde in the goatee area (with blonde, red, and brown dispersed throughout). It looks kinda cool. The dark red looks great on him -- pale skin, blue eyes -- and I suggested that if he wants to keep the color but not the beard (the beard is starting to annoy him), he could just dye his head-hair that color.

He thinks it's too metro, or something.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:38 am
By the way this is a guy who has done a zillion things to his hair in the past -- black, platinum, blue, bald, past shoulders, Chinese ponytail (bald except for one patch that was long), you name it. But now he's like, we-e-lll, red? I dunnno...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:39 am
Oh, Lash. I didn't see yours before I posted. Your mother's hair sounds beautiful! I may do that myself one day.

For now, though, it's the same color as my avatar. Lots of highlights in red, blonde & light brown.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:42 am
I've always envied people who had great natural coloring...dark brown hair and eyebrows, strong eye colors, etc.

I am like a blank canvas.
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 07:50 pm
I was born blonde, but my hair started to get darker from about aged 5. Crying or Very sad
I remember when I was about 14, I dyed it back to blonde, but it turned out orange Shocked Which was fun!!! Shocked Laughing
Since then, I've been burgundy, back to the natural brown (with a lot of grey) once or twice, but mostly, I'm blonde again. I keep it blonde now. Laughing Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:09 pm
Sigh... I have loved my hair color until recently. My hair is warm carmel blond-brown in the summer and warm light brown in the winter. Those who have very dark hair call me blond, those with blond hair say I have light-brown hair....

Anyway, I tend to like my hair darker and when I do washes (temp dye jobs), I go a shade darker and redder. I stopped dying years ago, but now the greys are getting more and more prevelant and my roots are starting to look more mousy.

The guy who cuts my hair wants to do a shine on my hari - it makes it sparkly, but doesn't change the color. Perhaps soon....
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:26 pm
I've had a grey/white streak across the front since I was about 21 - and now the rest of my hair matches it - so hair colour is my friend.

I'm not old enough to be that white-haired!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:31 pm
Margo- My cousin's daughter has had white hair since she was in her early twenties. It is absolutely gorgeous!

Kehoe- Once I tried to frost my hair myself. Not being the most patient of individuals, I pulled the cap off too early, My hair was Crayola yellow. Shocked

I put on a kerchief, went to the drugstore, and bought a blonde color dye. It came out absolutely gorgeous. It was a real "blonde on blonde..........................and then my regular color started to grow in! Embarrassed
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:03 pm
Eva wrote:
My mother was a big fan of haircoloring. We can date family photos by what color hair she had at the time....dark auburn, early '50s....platinum blonde, late '50s-early '60s...light brown frosted, late '60s...medium red-brown, '70s...champagne blonde, '80s...golden blonde, '90s. I think her natural color was salt & pepper most of those years, but nobody knew for sure.

She taught me well. I started coloring my hair at 15, and except for 6 months when I was in my mid-20s (I was curious...yep, it's still dull) I haven't seen more than 1/2" of my real color since. Like Jes, it's a mousy brown with some grey (I hear) which really doesn't suit my very fair coloring. I take in a photo of myself when I was in 4th grade when I loved my hair...it was blonde then with lots of red and gold highlights...and I say, "Make it like this again."

We must have similar coloring - I'm very fair also. However, instead of the type of red you have, I go for the dark reds.

Feria by L'oreal is the best. When I turn 30, my hair just started growing out almost completely gray. I had it done brown (my natural color) professionally for awhile.

As one of the conditions of marrying me, my husband made it clear he REALLY liked redheads. After a few years of marriage and going grayer and grayer, and having to have it done every 4 weeks, I had enough of the beauty salon and all the money.

Now, I do my own hair, he comes in the bathroom and does the back of my head as far as the roots. He's actually pretty good.

After 2 weeks, I touch up the roots on the front of my head.

Just this last time, I said to him...."I think I'm getting tired of red, I'm considering going back to brown" I'm serious, he looked absolutely stricken.

So we comprised on brown auburn.

Shewolf - ugh, I can't believe anyone would find gray and red good together. Espcially with pale skin. Oh well.

Like phoenix, coloring my hair makes me feel good. I've never had a problem with damage. I'm not a sun lover, and try to do as little to my hair as possible.

Eva - really, try Feria - it rocks.

I envy woman who have beautiful white or gray hair, with my facial features, it would just make me look old.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 10:32 pm
My daughter used Feria red and blue when she did her feathered tips last year. It really was stunning.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 10:46 pm
My hair was light blonde when I was a kid and has gotten progressively darker since puberty - I'd call it light brown, though, like littlek, some have called it dark blonde. When I turned 40, I had it highlighted and mostly kept up with that for a couple of years. I think I'm ready to do it again - it reminds me of being young!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 12:19 am
I hadn't colored my hair in ages because my boyfriend doesn't like it when I do, not because my natural color's that great, but because it's "fake" to color it. So I didn't for a long time, but I finally decided I just hadda change it. So yesterday I went and bought some dye and went ahead with it...and when Mr Cypher came home, he flipped out.

I was happy to see this thread because I was thinking of starting one of my own, and now I'll just ask my question here. He thinks it isn't unreasonable of him to have been pissed that I went ahead and did it while he was gone and didn't even let him know I was going to. He thinks a lot of husbands/boyfriends would expect to be consulted. I say back the hell down, boy, it's my hair.

So do any of you have significant others who would be upset you dying your hair? Am I overreacting to find it a little controlling of him to think he should be consulted...? It actually turned into such a big thing that we've been arguing off and on since yesterday!

Oh, by the way, the important thing is my new fabulous strawberry blonde color! I never want my real hair again!

P.S. Phoenix, I hope you don't mind me posing a question of my own on your thread! Embarrassed
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 12:23 am
blonde, red, black, even blue.... i had them all on my hair.

now i'm trying to grow my own hair out, it's a test. we'll see how long i last before i won't be able to take it anymore.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 05:23 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Kehoe- Once I tried to frost my hair myself. Not being the most patient of individuals, I pulled the cap off too early, My hair was Crayola yellow. Shocked

I put on a kerchief, went to the drugstore, and bought a blonde color dye. It came out absolutely gorgeous. It was a real "blonde on blonde..........................and then my regular color started to grow in! Embarrassed

Now THAT sounds really cool!

Cypher - my initial reaction of course is to say - Hey, it's your hair!

Then, I think about what I wrote above about compromising with the color with my husband.

sooooo.....I guess it's a matter of degree how far personally how far you're willing to work with this.

I think the actually process of coloring is your business, putting it on your hair. He has the right to express his opinion on which color with the caveat you have ultimate veto power.

Just an aside - someone I was in a former relationship with used to point out women who looked a certain way, saying how pretty and "natural" they looked. He never knew all the work that went into them looking like they hadn't done anything. Rolling Eyes

You know what....re your boyfriedn......He'll get over it.

Color on sista!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:36 am
Cyphercat- No, I don't mind at all, and I think that it is a very relevent question. My husband sort of teases me about me coloring my hair........................he makes cracks about me spending all my money on lipsticks and hair dye. Laughing

What he does attempt to control me on is the length of my hair. In Florida, it is abominably humid for 7-8 months of the year. I am active physically, and I hate limp, sweaty, long hair.

I had been going to the barber for my haircuts for years, and cutting it really short. Every time I walked into the house, my husband would sing a few choruses of the "Marine Hymn". He also would make allusions that I looked like I was of a different sexually oriented persuasion.

So, I made a deal with him. During the cooler months I would let my hair grow longer, and would cut it short as soon as the weather turned sultry.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:39 am
cyphercat wrote:

I was happy to see this thread because I was thinking of starting one of my own, and now I'll just ask my question here. He thinks it isn't unreasonable of him to have been pissed that I went ahead and did it while he was gone and didn't even let him know I was going to. He thinks a lot of husbands/boyfriends would expect to be consulted. I say back the hell down, boy, it's my hair.

So do any of you have significant others who would be upset you dying your hair? Am I overreacting to find it a little controlling of him to think he should be consulted...? It actually turned into such a big thing that we've been arguing off and on since yesterday!

Oh, by the way, the important thing is my new fabulous strawberry blonde color! I never want my real hair again!

Consulted? Well, no I don't think a consultation is in order. It is your hair. If you want to color it and he only wants to be with a granola/au naturel type then you each get to make your choices.

Mr B is also a naturalist. He would be opposed to hair color, boob jobs, or any other artificial interventions not required by illness or injury. But, there's no way I would consult him before dying my hair. I might consider a discussion before getting implants but hair is just hair.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:40 am
I was actually thinking of coloring my moustache.

There's a lot of grey in it except right under the nose where the hair is
dark brown. It looks vaguely Hitlerian. But I wouldn't know whether to
color the brown hair grey or the grey hair brown. And if I color
the 'stache, what about the the rest of the beard?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:46 am
Do you have a recent closeup?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:58 am
errr...
Must have something. I'll look.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 10:20 am
Coloring brown hair gray, that might be a new one!

Cyphercat, when I got my first real haircut in L.A. it was kind of a similar experience. It had been long-long (past waist) and wavy and just worn down without anything in particular done to it for a long time. As in, wash, air dry, nothing more. Then I got that first haircut -- MUCH shorter, layers, products (volume, shininess, curls), and I looked really different!

My husband was thrown for a loop -- he said I looked so different that he felt vaguely embarrassed about being attracted to me, like it was wrong or something.

I'm wondering if something similar is going on with your boyfriend. Like, some sort of embarrassed/ defensive emotional loop.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/30/2024 at 10:06:52